Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By LoopTheCrook Tue May 10, 2016 1:58 pm
S3000 is clean sounding... dont expect grit from it. you can try experimenting with 45rpm sampling. Hit AD as hard as it gets before sounding ugly. I usually mess with a HPF and LPF to get a little lo-end bump and/or layering with 808. Classic techniques. Try to stack the same sample on top of each other for a little more attack (forgot how is this function called)... all this worx like magic on 12bits... on 16 is a little bit of work.
By MrDismal Tue May 10, 2016 11:24 pm
LoopTheCrook wrote:S3000 is clean sounding... dont expect grit from it. you can try experimenting with 45rpm sampling. Hit AD as hard as it gets before sounding ugly. I usually mess with a HPF and LPF to get a little lo-end bump and/or layering with 808. Classic techniques. Try to stack the same sample on top of each other for a little more attack (forgot how is this function called)... all this worx like magic on 12bits... on 16 is a little bit of work.

I've tried 45rpm sampling, but only on the 2000XL. There's a noticeable difference but quite subtle and probably not worth the time unless you're on a 1200.

Layering samples/drums is always a good idea, and works well.

The problem with having gear so accessable to buy online, is that you want it all.
By richie Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 am
Fanu wrote:To anyone who says the s3000 cant sound lofi...sample in at 10K. That's the thing. Pitch the source up by an octave or so, then pitch it down that much in the Akai. Tell me that aint lofi. But it has to be 10K.

I think the thing is that people are expecting the s3000/mpc 3000 to give them some sort of sp1200/emax sound with ring modulation and artifacts. I have an S2800 which has the same sample engine and in my opinion found that everything sounded 'clean' even at 10k. I ended up just leaving it unplugged as I can get similar enough results using Fab Filter Q, to each their own I suppose.

Maybe I'll pull it out again.. pause.
What gain setting are you using to get desirable results?