Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 pm
My apologies if this topic has been posted, but I couldn't turn anything up when searching.

I have a MPC3000 running the most recent version of Vailixi, and I'm using a CF card with hybrid partitions to save my files. After amassing a good number of files, I have become fearful of my card being corrupted and my files being lost.

To that end, I purchased a CF card reader with the hopes of backing my MPC3000 files up on my PC. Unfortunately, when I tried to connect my CF card to my PC it informed me that the drive could not be recognized and asked me to format it.

How can I transfer my files to my PC? A friend suggested that it could only be done through a Mac--is this the case?
By BoyOfVirtue Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm
dshook wrote:Yep, the hybrid partitions show up perfectly on a mac.

Thanks for your help. I was able to access the drive by using a Mac but only the first partition showed up. I could not seem to find anyway to access the other partitions. Is there a specific step or trick that needs to be taken?

Fanu wrote:Chicken Systems Translator does that.

I downloaded the Chicken Systems Translator for my PC but I couldn't even get the drive/disk to be recognized. I received the same error as before, with my system claiming the drive could not be recognized and needed to be formatted.

I read through some old posts from Rohan and used a couple of the programs he recommended (MPC Editor, WinHex) but none of them would allow my system to even recognize the drive. The first step involved always seems to be "format the disk"

Any ideas?
By Horseclick Sat May 21, 2016 5:45 pm
the whole point of rohans hybrid partition is to see that drive on a modern day OS,

so copy contents from other partitions to that and then back it up..........

so to be precise, Partition A is the one you can only SEE on anything other then your mpc, all other partitions are not visible at all.
By BoyOfVirtue Sat May 21, 2016 8:37 pm
Horseclick wrote:the whole point of rohans hybrid partition is to see that drive on a modern day OS,

so copy contents from other partitions to that and then back it up..........

so to be precise, Partition A is the one you can only SEE on anything other then your mpc, all other partitions are not visible at all.

Wow seriously? That's considerably less convenient than I was hoping for. Good for loading files from a computer to an MPC but not much else

I've come to terms with it though, I'm just gonna buy an extra CF card and use that to back my files up the old fashioned way (load the desired files from CF card 1, swap it out with the backup CF card and save onto that one). Tedious, but better than losing the files of course

Thanks for the explanation