Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Stoobysnax Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:12 pm
I've been trying to look this up but there's so much mixed info out there I'm finding it hard. I just got an mpc 60ii with scsi... I'm wondering what are my options for backup? Floppy is too slow and small. Anyone out there have something that works really well that's faster and more convenient and can point me In The right direction. There's so much mixed info out there it's hard to tell what to do.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:08 pm
the mpc 60 is 28 years old... it wont handle a 3TB SSD..

you have the option of floppy drive (not even HD floppy that stores 1.44 mb)
floppy emulator.. that emulates floppy disks on a memory card or USB key
scsi hard drives, but you can't create folders inside for each beat because it can't read folders... you have to use partitions
scsi removable storage
By dshook Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:20 pm
Hey again Stooby - if you have the money to spend the best way to go is with the artmix setup: either the factory SCSI card or their version, and a RAIZINMONSTER CF or SD in the disk drive space. Also pick up one of those Vimana OS bootlegs floating around which (I think, if it's like Vailixi) should allow the cards to be formatted in a way that can be seen and written/read by a MAC (for backup / archiving ). Although there is some software out there that will do MPC60 <---> WAV, I'm not sure if there is anything current, and it sounds so good through the analog in/out that it doesn't make much sense to transfer digitally.
By Stoobysnax Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 am
Thanks for all the info! I may look into that down the road. In the meantime, i ordered 50 Floppy's and actually really love using them so far. There's something so nostalgic and satisfying about saving to Floppy. Somehow it adds to the charm of this instrument for me, takes me back to my childhood... i love it. It also forces me to really choose to make the samples worth saving.

After years of unlimited samples and memory and storage options, it's really refreshing having some limits imposed. :)
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:46 pm
and the limit isn't that big... with the ram filled with samples it would all fit on 2 disks..