Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Stoobysnax Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:29 pm
So i just got a MPC 60ii last week, and have it set up so that in logic, i can just run any channel straight through an output into the MPC, then back out the MPC into logic via my neve/distressor strip. This thing sounds so amazing i can't believe it. Somehow it just makes most stuff, especially drums, just smack right, and sit in the mix and sound like a record.

So i also realized yesterday that because there's always audio running in and out in real time of the MPC, that not only can i sample inside the MPC, and chop and sequence beats, but i can send tracks from Logic directly through the MPC converters, back out through the neve/distressor, and adjust everything to taste, and then simply record that audio in real time back into logic. Basically, getting the sound of the MPC and it's beautiful 12 bit converters and drive, but not actually sampling inside of it. Been trying this on drums, guitars, vocals... It's unbelievable. For stereo tracks i just bounce a left and right and combine.

My question is, does anyone else do this? Is this totally an obvious thing that everyone just does? I found it by happy accident but i'm wondering who else is doing this, and if there's any other suggestions of things I may be missing that I can do with this beast.
By dshook Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:32 pm
The monitor thru doesn't go through the converters, just the pre-amp stage - but if you like the result, who cares right? I suspect though, that you will be even more blown away if you use it as intended (sample in a drum break nice and hot, chop it up and sequence it, tracking out back into logic (don't slave it to logic just line up the audio after the fact)
By Stoobysnax Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm
Ahhh, i see... Well, the preamp stage sounds really f***ing nice then lol. Yeah, i'm mostly using it as intended... but i'm definitely going to keep doing this as well as the results have been awesome so far. Part of it may be just bouncing stuff out and back in through the neve / distress as well obviously. But it's not just that ( since i do that anyways sometimes and the results aren't the same)
By LoopTheCrook Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 pm
If you like the sound of the preamp... try to sample... you'll love the sound of the converters :smoker: it just takes one step more :) but detuning drums is just 8)
By Stoobysnax Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 am
Oh yeah for sure. Been sampling and using it like crazy last few days, but I'm still also bouncing drum mix's, vocals, etc through the pre and back out. Makes shit pop too when you already have the part arranged and don't want to resample and resequence everything.

This thing is literally the best piece of gear I've got in ages (and I've got a lot lol) Def inspiring.
By kraftywerk Wed May 11, 2016 5:00 pm
I had to LOL at the Neve/Distressor combo and you crediting the 60. I don't doubt it's giving good results, just kinda funny. I assume because of the low latency there is no conversion going on. I actually got a little excited when I started reading your post before realizing it didn't really add up considering the age of the machine and that you hear everything in real time.

I LOL'd because I have gear days like this myself...running a $50 RZ-1 through $4000 worth of pres and compression and thinking "Damn, the RZ sounds amazing."

Enjoy it!
By Wal Martian Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 pm
kraftywerk wrote:I had to LOL at the Neve/Distressor combo and you crediting the 60...
I LOL'd because I have gear days like this myself...running a $50 RZ-1 through $4000 worth of pres and compression and thinking "Damn, the RZ sounds amazing."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Akai preamps are known for their clarity. You really do need to sample onto the MPC to get that 12 bit 40kHz crunch.
By JAYCEE3K Fri May 13, 2016 5:39 pm
Missing something. Through what type of cables is this being done? Which outputs are they coming from on your interface, and which inputs are they going into on the MPC?
By JAYCEE3K Sat May 14, 2016 2:12 am
From how it's being described i don't see how the MPC is doing anything at all sonically if audio running in isn't being sampled. Also, what setting allows the MPC to even monitor sound going in before being sampled? Ex. is there some kind of mode that allow you to monitor out a signal while it's coming in? How is the MPC being used to run audio through and back out simultaneously, without recording with it? i have a 3k and if i set to sampling mode, i can monitor the output of the audio coming in. It's not clear to me what's described in this thread. Also people using terms like preamps lol, where is there a preamp on the MPC? Is that referring to the recording inputs on the MPC or something else along the way? If it's this Neve/Distressor being spoke of, what piece of gear is this? What is it doing to the signal?
Since the MPC converters aren't being used, technically what exactly is the MPC doing to the signal being routed from the DAW?
By mr_debauch Sat May 14, 2016 3:50 am
that is the whole point... it isn't being sampled and then being played back... it is going into the mpc, and the machine has a direct input to output monitor as all mpcs do. It isn't being run through the ADCs or the DACs..

as for what is happening to the signal when it comes to the neve or the preamps or the cables being used... those are things you either know or don't know.. look up neve and see what those are designed to do. A conversation is happening here where people are under the assumption that everyone would know the details of a preamp, a distressor, or the fact that an MPC has ins and outs and the ability to monitor the incoming signal so you know when to click the record button... the issue is, if the OP has to teach readers all that stuff, how likely is it that he would get an answer to the question he is actually asking about?
By JAYCEE3K Sat May 14, 2016 5:25 am
mr_debauch wrote:that is the whole point... it isn't being sampled and then being played back... it is going into the mpc, and the machine has a direct input to output monitor as all mpcs do. It isn't being run through the ADCs or the DACs..

as for what is happening to the signal when it comes to the neve or the preamps or the cables being used... those are things you either know or don't know.. look up neve and see what those are designed to do. A conversation is happening here where people are under the assumption that everyone would know the details of a preamp, a distressor, or the fact that an MPC has ins and outs and the ability to monitor the incoming signal so you know when to click the record button... the issue is, if the OP has to teach readers all that stuff, how likely is it that he would get an answer to the question he is actually asking about?

Not that there's expectation of the OP to go into all those basics.
But sometimes a person not using very similar setup. So, details on certain aspects of the OP setup and the understanding behind it might be missing in their mind. Asking the even the most basic questions helps someone learn whether or not they have been previously misinformed or made the wrong assumption in their mind about something being described. I do that sometimes even if I already have the understanding of a technique, unless i am 1000 percent sure, i will assume for a moment that i'm an idiot that doesn't know anything and ask the simplest things just for more confirmation.

What you said makes sense though.
By Horseclick Mon May 16, 2016 6:25 pm
on the 3k you can go in the digital in and use the dacs in realtime/s1000/s950 also but the 950 only good for one shots, as long segments of audio will skip as it cant convert fast enough.

not the same as sampling in and using the transpose algo's but in ythe search for the sound try and experiment and use what you like.
By Horseclick Tue May 17, 2016 1:49 pm
Wal Martian wrote:^Just like you can MIDI dump wav files to an SP1200 they just have to be 12bit 26040Hz. Not the exact same sound as sampling in the directly but it still has a unique sound. Akai s900 has MIDI wav dump too.

+ midi dumping from the sp to an emax to make some room 10secs can get used up real quick :)