Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By WASKMUSIC Thu May 26, 2016 10:12 pm
hello,

a good friend of mine brought me his old mpc 60 mark1. he hasnt used it for many years. if u turn the unit on, it shows some big black blocks on the screen. sure i tried adjusting the contrast. havent plugged it on audio, but if i push for example the "count in" button, the led lids up, so i assume that the unit is booting up correctly besides the screen thing. next time i plug it in i may try to record something blind (i have myself a 60mk1 - so i know what to press).

read about someone who has a blank screen and he replaced a resistor when i understand it correctly.

does anyone of you have the service manual for correct values and so on?

thanks as always,
WASK
By WASKMUSIC Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:51 pm
update:

changed some resistors, checked cable connections, cleaned the sync pcb board.
nothing changed. no real display. one thing i noticed, i can see the "cursor" and when changing menus or navigating with the directional buttens the "cursor" moves along where it should go. like on my running 60mk1. so, the display isnt dead at all.

changed the resitors R22 and R23 because they looked like they fall apart.
changed the bridge-like resistor around the connection to the psu pcb board
changed R65 and R66, they were mounted high like theyre sayin: chaaaange me xD
changed R6, R7, R8 and R9 resistors, one looked like its falling apart, changed all of them to be sure. they are around the display connector jack.

noticed some rusty feets on some chips. my friend hasnt taken care of it - i should slap him for being an idiot like that...!

any other ideas?
By Horseclick Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:52 am
try find the contrast (resistor or pot) that could be out, whjen its up too high you see big blocks too low you see nothing depending on viewing angle...

so look over the service manual and locate where the contrast is set.

hope that helps
By WASKMUSIC Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am
update:

for testing purposes i installed the "damaged" screen in an actually working 60. the screen works. so it must be some sort of problem before the screen. to be honest, im afraid of putting my working sync board in the "damaged" 60 to check whats going on. i dont need two damaged units.