Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By loveslap Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:20 pm
I'm using valixi 3.50

My left channel is aloways 2-3db louder than the right.. Is there an internal trimmer to adjust this ? I didn't see anything about this in the service manual nor in the MPC3000 bible. I'm using my mpc in record mode as part of my recording chain so naturally i'd like a nice even balance betwen left and right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
By loveslap Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 pm
Its always like this.. I can swap the left and right input cables/sources and its still always louder on the left channel. I can use different source (turntable, computer interface interface).. even test tones will exhibit this behaviour..So I'm pretty its something wrong inside the MPC.. I'm just not sure where to look? Maybe the power supply caps, maybe the record level pot, maybe there's a couple vr trim pots in there.. I don't know where to look and don't really want to open it without a plan..
By Dave_Mode Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:40 pm
Same. Had this for a long while too. I just ignore it, cuz usually use mono samples and 8 outs. If I'm stereo, and one side is slightly quieter,then, that's how it is.
Interested to hear what could be the cause /solution.
By Elias Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:13 am
hmm do you have a multimeter? Maybe there is a cold solderjoint on the input jack. Or you could check for any different resistance values between the two channels. Then you could maybe trace it to the faulty part.
Is it the same with different settings on the gain switch on the back (Low, Mid, Hi)?
By SEMS Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 am
I have the same issue on my 3k. Did some research a while ago & remember reading a bit about it somewhere and Elias has the right idea, it's to do with different resistance values that can also wear down even further over time. I'm not a tech so I'm not even sure I understand it fully, but the layman's bottom line is that it's internal, it's a known issue, and I'm pretty sure a tech can fix it.

For my use I don't really let it bug me. Sample in mono, adjust the balance going in, blah blah etc. One day I'll get it completely refurbed, but not for a while.