Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By cfernn Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 am
I finally decided to upgrade my mpc60 with the memory expansion and newer os. After I went through the process I closed the unit and turn it on and the screen now displays random horizontal lines and none of the functions work. It doesn't seem to be fully powering up because it makes no sound and doesn't heat up.

I ended up putting back the original memory and eproms. None of the original eproms are damaged, all pins are in tact. Still same problem. It was running fine before. I am at a loss. I double checked all of the components are connected, no screws or parts missing.

I filmed the issue and uploaded the video here... First you will see me turning the unit on, then the lines, and then I adjust the contrast knob...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wel8_ibRIfE

I uploaded pics of the unit here...
http://shanegaalaas.com/temp/mpc

In the very bottom pic I closed up on the top left area of the unit. When I was double checking everything for the 3rd or 4th time I noticed that the ribbon going into the brown board is very loose and fragile. I barely touched it and it slid out a little from its black connector.

Any advice?
By JUKE 179r Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:09 pm
maybe the OS was corrupted??? Try saving it from another website to a different disk and upgrade the OS again.
By JUKE 179r Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:11 pm
and holy shit... take some 91% isopropyl alcohol and an old tooth brush and clean out your 60. :nod:
By WASKMUSIC Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:37 am
The pad sensors ribbon looks like its not connected properly. Check the direction of the eproms. From front to back its 4, 3, 2, 1. double check if eprom 1 is connected properly, had the same issue in the past. The pins to the back bend outside when inserting the rom. Maybe your os roms were sh*t and have damaged something. Where are they from?
By cfernn Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 pm
WASKMUSIC wrote:The pad sensors ribbon looks like its not connected properly. Check the direction of the eproms. From front to back its 4, 3, 2, 1. double check if eprom 1 is connected properly, had the same issue in the past. The pins to the back bend outside when inserting the rom. Maybe your os roms were sh*t and have damaged something. Where are they from?

Eprom 1 is connected properly. All pins of all eproms are going in.

The new ones I got were from Vimana. After the issue I did some research and apparently there's some controversy. Regardless I put back the factory eproms and plan on just using those for now.

I might stop by forat tomorrow, since I'm la based.
By cfernn Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:maybe the OS was corrupted??? Try saving it from another website to a different disk and upgrade the OS again.

Excuse the ignorance, but I have no idea what this means. Which tells me I probably shouldn't be messing with the unit until I take it to a pro.

When you say disk do you mean the eproms or a floppy?
By A pair of Glasses Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:18 pm
Wel good Luck,
I had an similar issue with new eproms, the first one of the new one's was broken and gave the exact error as you explained here, I've put back in the 3:10 and the same error happened here,, I pulled the memory battery out, and gave it an day rest, (meanly because I was p#$%ed off) reseated everything than, powered it up and it worked..
By Ottomatic Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm
I have a bootable floppy image of a factory OS 2.05 from Akai. It worked the lat time I copied the image to a floppy. If you have OS2.12 and above this disk will temporarily load while the MPC60 is on and doesn't effect the EProms.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/smtdgdp9rpfhbee/2.05_Disk.vfd/