Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Bymember_5949kfk50e0d3 Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:29 pm
Dang, it's been a while. I know, it's embarrassing. When you upgrade your MPC 60 and realize it will never sound as good as an SP1200, but that's just the story of electronics history. I always knew the SP1200 (and SP12) had some certain magic behind its filters or something which makes the samples sound like they are glowing. I thought the bitrate compression would do the same thing, but no. I've actually gotten to the point where I can tell if a song has been touched by this magic just by listening (at least to a high enough quality version!!), I'm pretty sure the following apply: Mistadobalina, and Ahonetwo Ahonetwo (remix) by Del the Funke Homosapien, Steady Mobbin by Ice Cube, Inglewoodz Finast (the whole album) by Loon E Toon and DJ Mike Tee, Humps for the Blvd by Rodney O and Joe Cooley, All Eyez on Me by 2pac, Pay Ya Dues by Low Profile, [insert DXA shoutout here], damn near everything on Luke Skyywalker records in the late 80's, You Don't Wanna Run Up by Rodney O and Joe Cooley (probably that whole album too), etc. Instant spine tingler inducers! So which one of you knows the secret of how to do it in Audacity?!
By Horseclick Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:10 am
Grenozh wrote: So which one of you knows the secret of how to do it in Audacity?!

100% you can not make audacity sound like a sp dont waste time.

save your monies and get a sp for that sp sound.
By WASKMUSIC Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:44 am
Horseclick wrote:
Grenozh wrote: So which one of you knows the secret of how to do it in Audacity?!

100% you can not make audacity sound like a sp dont waste time.

save your monies and get a sp for that sp sound.

What he said.
By Horseclick Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:22 pm
mr_debauch wrote:i have heard people refer to that zoom street box sampler as the poor man's SP... hahaha

nah thats just a myth.

the sampletrak is nice but not a ppor mans sp in any shape way nor form.
By WASKMUSIC Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 am
The sampletrak indeed is called the poor mans sp. Why? Simply because you can choose some lofi sampleing rates and due to the fact that its aliasing is similiar to the sp when tuning. I have 3 of them and an sp1200 so i speak from personal experience. I can post an example produced on a sampletrak.
Bymember_5949kfk50e0d3 Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:29 am
oh yeah, I forgot to add "This is how we roll" by Canibus to that list. so crispy!
By peterpiper Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:43 am
Grenozh wrote:oh yeah, I forgot to add "This is how we roll" by Canibus to that list. so crispy!

You should try openMPT (Freeware), set the resampling in the general tab to "No interpolation" load in a sample on the sample tab, click resample on sampletab (5th button, right before the << button) and set the frequency to something like 13000.
Then play the sample with your pc keyboard (the A key is the original speed/pitch. you should try a few keys lower like UIOP) . Optional you can normalize and then amp the sample to something like 180%

If that is too much "crisp" try other frwquency settings. 18000 or 20000 or whatever.

peace
By Fanu Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 am
seriousgroove wrote:I send my MPC 60 through a chain of valley people dynamite, EQ transformers and a SSL G comp...sounds good enough for my taste. SP is to expensive...stll...just why the heck is no one comming forward in re-producing a SP1200? Everyone whants one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8SAxGdGec

In a recent Dave Rossum interview on Youtube, he said the code for SP 1200 doesn't exist. They have been talking about doing it again, but he isn't saying yes or no to it. It'd have to be reverse engineered.
However, if I recall correctly, in that interview he says the code was lost after the OG greyboy unit, so the reissues were reverse engineered, too.