Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By JAYCEE3K Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:25 am
Hey I know this topic has been done in some form or another, but I found nothing recent and I need some insight from y'all that have experience with using this method with this particular machine.

I'm thinking about buying an Art VLA II compressor to track out the 3k with. Now I've heard mixed things about the VLA II, but mostly positive. And none of what I've heard came from ppl that use 3k. So I'm wondering do y'all think there's something to be gained in terms of sound difference adding this in between the interface and maybe a mixer and the 3k?
By LoopTheCrook Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:50 am
I wouldn't track out thru compressor.
Once you record compressed signal you cant change it... less flexible.
You can always print it with compressor later...
By LoopTheCrook Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:30 am
I understand going thru analog board and hitting it hard, eqing... but tracking with compressor seems more like walking on the edge, you might end up retracking compressed elements it is also true that with lite compression you might get thru.

I have two outboard compressors and i found my self doing less work that way. I would insert compressor maybe just to hear how would it sound later.
By tapedeck Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:04 pm
just do it. of course it will add to your sound. if you like it, keep doing it. if not, try something else. anything you can add to the mix is flavor and is good for you if you know how to work it.

people do it all the time because they are more concerned with the finished product vs. having something pristine they can tweak forever. i have personally pretty much given up on multi-tracking even and just print straight to two-track tape, so i know i've got something DONE which to me beats something tweakable in a million ways. :mrgreen:

different strokes

my only thought is to always consider how much more bang-for-your-buck you could get on the used market. a new $2-300 compressor, ok thats pretty cool, and you got a few options, but we're not talking serious processors in that $ range. that same $300 on the used market could get you something nicer, older, maybe w more character - and of course i am a huge proponent of not so much seeking out, but letting it come to me. :smoker: ~zen~
By Wal Martian Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:40 pm
The best thing to do with the VLA is upgrade the tubes to a nicer 12AX7 tube or similar. Tracking through compression is a great idea, it will sound much richer than plugins ever will. The VLA is a great bang for your buck tone/saturation box. ITB people will always say don't do anything to your signal, that is because they are stuck in the ITB mindset. How do you think they did it before computers? Buses, routing, outboard, tape machines. I love the analog workflow and committing to a sound out of the box. Mixing and tracking beats live is more like a performance and can yield awesome results.
By tapedeck Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:16 pm
Wal Martian wrote:The VLA is a great bang for your buck tone/saturation box.

good to know - i have not heard much about it.

i wonder how it compares to something comparable price-wise from FMR like the RNC or RNLA...i have not used any of these units but heard good things.
By Wal Martian Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:36 am
My RNC gave up the ghost but while I was using it, it was also good for adding color and pumping effects to drums. I just got a stock VLA II from a pawn, going to put in on my effects bus and try some stuff. Lately I've been mixing down tracks straight to 1/4" reel to reel thru a DBX EQ and comp then through the Aphex aural exciter type C with some nice results.
By MrDismal Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:03 am
I'm going to chime in with my experience tracking out with racks (except I use a 2KXL).

I was on a huge quest to find an outboard box I could run all my tracking through before hitting the PC so I could get a warm as possible signal for a reasonable price. Without dropping 3-4k on a Fatso saturator. Which eventually led me to buying a couple mono tube preamp strips and replacing the tube for 'warmer & darker' ones. (JJ's).

I assume the original poster wants to get a coloured, or warmer/fatter sound using the ART VLA compressor.
I've tried this before and ended up selling 2 mono tube compressor channel strips and buying simple dual tube ART EQ rack. It was a lot cheaper plus got the colour from the tubes I could drive. Plus the EQ which I wanted too.

I would avoid tracking out through a compressor only because previously mentioned, you cannot undo compression.

Ultimately, the point I'm trying to make (from my experience), is you really don't need compression to make you shit slam. EQ can go a long way. I hardly use any compression anymore after tracking through a tube EQ.
By SEMS Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 am
Wal Martian wrote:The best thing to do with the VLA is upgrade the tubes to a nicer 12AX7 tube or similar. Tracking through compression is a great idea, it will sound much richer than plugins ever will. The VLA is a great bang for your buck tone/saturation box. ITB people will always say don't do anything to your signal, that is because they are stuck in the ITB mindset. How do you think they did it before computers? Buses, routing, outboard, tape machines. I love the analog workflow and committing to a sound out of the box. Mixing and tracking beats live is more like a performance and can yield awesome results.

Just wanted to say I completely echo this man. Was thinking the exact same thing.
By JAYCEE3K Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 pm
tapedeck wrote:just do it. of course it will add to your sound. if you like it, keep doing it. if not, try something else. anything you can add to the mix is flavor and is good for you if you know how to work it.

people do it all the time because they are more concerned with the finished product vs. having something pristine they can tweak forever. i have personally pretty much given up on multi-tracking even and just print straight to two-track tape, so i know i've got something DONE which to me beats something tweakable in a million ways. :mrgreen:

different strokes

my only thought is to always consider how much more bang-for-your-buck you could get on the used market. a new $2-300 compressor, ok thats pretty cool, and you got a few options, but we're not talking serious processors in that $ range. that same $300 on the used market could get you something nicer, older, maybe w more character - and of course i am a huge proponent of not so much seeking out, but letting it come to me. :smoker: ~zen~

Still haven't purchased, but I've made up my mind. Will get one.
By JAYCEE3K Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 pm
Wal Martian wrote:The best thing to do with the VLA is upgrade the tubes to a nicer 12AX7 tube or similar. Tracking through compression is a great idea, it will sound much richer than plugins ever will. The VLA is a great bang for your buck tone/saturation box. ITB people will always say don't do anything to your signal, that is because they are stuck in the ITB mindset. How do you think they did it before computers? Buses, routing, outboard, tape machines. I love the analog workflow and committing to a sound out of the box. Mixing and tracking beats live is more like a performance and can yield awesome results.

I'm with you on this. The only thing i really want to use the PC for is for helping edit with some arrangements and final polishing. I wanna spend as little time as possible setting levels, and EQ'ing in a DAW, I'd rather have most the mix sounding as close to right coming right out the box as possible.
Last edited by JAYCEE3K on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JAYCEE3K Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 pm
MrDismal wrote:I'm going to chime in with my experience tracking out with racks (except I use a 2KXL).

I was on a huge quest to find an outboard box I could run all my tracking through before hitting the PC so I could get a warm as possible signal for a reasonable price. Without dropping 3-4k on a Fatso saturator. Which eventually led me to buying a couple mono tube preamp strips and replacing the tube for 'warmer & darker' ones. (JJ's).

I assume the original poster wants to get a coloured, or warmer/fatter sound using the ART VLA compressor.
I've tried this before and ended up selling 2 mono tube compressor channel strips and buying simple dual tube ART EQ rack. It was a lot cheaper plus got the colour from the tubes I could drive. Plus the EQ which I wanted too.

I would avoid tracking out through a compressor only because previously mentioned, you cannot undo compression.

Ultimately, the point I'm trying to make (from my experience), is you really don't need compression to make you **** slam. EQ can go a long way. I hardly use any compression anymore after tracking through a tube EQ.

Really i just want the VLA for drums, saturation and limiting...i've read that what it does to drums is nice how they smack but still sounds like it has some breathing room or air on top of it. the 3k is surprisingly good on drums all on its own but i think this will help highlight it even more.