Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By MAJ60 Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:35 am
Hello all

I've searched the topic fairly extensively at this point and I haven't found a solution in the old threads or anywhere else online so I must implore.

I use an MPC 60 mk1 with 3.10 OS. I installed my Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL last night and I'm very very confused on a few things:

How do i start saving to different directories like they are separate floppies?

For instance, to test it out I sampled a sound, assigned it, then saved that one .SND and the .PGM to [001] and the USB stick. Turned off the MPC. Turned it back on and did the same thing but tried saving the new sound and program in [002]. but it saved on the same "floppy" in the emulator, and i was already running out of space.

Perhaps I don't understand the structure of the emulator. It feels like nothing is separate and everything saves to the root directory, which also causes it to load those files on startup. I know that is normal, and i should reset the mpc with the stick in on directory [000], but this only seems to make the machine "forget" about the samples, but they are still present. i can load them after the boot up without the stick in and they will always load if the stick isn't in the emulator when i turn on the mpc. it appears the only thing that truly wipes the memory is erasing each file by hand (wtf)

does the directory number have anything to do with where emulator saves these files internally, or is it only to help create the files in the USB stick?

Is the USB stick purely for back-up and the emulator is a little partitioned hard drive, in essence? or do i need that stick to load stuff later? when i load, am i loading to the selected directory or is that purely a function for saving?

also, I don't know if it's important, but the left button makes "d2" appear on the screen and not "d1". the right makes "d0" appear.

does it sound like everything's working fine and i'm not understanding it?

can anyone PLEASE walk me through the daily use of this thing when making a beat, saving, starting fresh and making a new beat, and saving that ? and tell me where my files are going, how to save across floppies, etc etc ?

I've read all i could but found slightly differing stories, all different from my own experience
By MAJ60 Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:38 am
i just found that formatting the floppy without the stick in is a quick way of actually wiping the existing memory. the one issue now is saving across floppy disks