Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By TheOddfather Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:54 am
I've been toying with chopping on my 3000 since I recently got it and trying many different methods listed on this site and other references. I certainly can chop by ear, but I thought I'd ask to see if I'm somewhat in the right about a theory I worked out. Let's say your first chop starts perfectly at 0.00 and the end of the first chop is perfectly at .5 (I know this 100% is never the case, but it's easier to explain this way.) At that point, if everything is basically on time in the sample, wouldn't the next chop be .5 away as well? So if the sample is 8 seconds long exactly you would start from 0 and do .5 increments all the way till pad 16 ends on 8 seconds? Like I said, I know it's never perfect numbers like that. But if chop 1 is .358 from start to end, then the next chop should be that same length, correct? Just wanted to see if anyone has messed with this method as well. Like I said chopping by ear is easiest, but I sort of like the mathematical aspect of it as well.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 am
That's basically how later MPCs were chopping loops - select the number of regions (e.g. 16) and the MPC divides the total sample length into 16 equal parts. So if the sample was 16000 samples long, each region/chop would be 1000 samples long. The current MPC Software still offers this option.

But as you say, this all assumes you have a rigidly timed break. In reality a live break will not confirm to such a fixed grid.