Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By TheOddfather Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am
What's up guys! Just had a quick question on resampling from the 3000 to the 2500. If I have the turntable output going into the record in on my 3000 and it in record mode with the stereo outputs of the 3000 going into the 2500 record in, would it still reduce the bit rate to 16 bit and give it that warmth to the samples without me having to record the sound first into the 3000 then resample? I'm only asking this because I just got my 2500 and have them literally side by side. Just wanted to see if I could integrate the ease of use of the 2500 with the sound of the 3000 without having to go through recording everything and then resampling it

Thanks guys!
By Wal Martian Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 pm
Nope, simply monitoring the MPC3000 output will not color the sound the same as it would actually sampling in to the 3000. If you get a MIDI cable you can sample and chop in the 3000 and trigger and sequence those samples with the MPC2500.
MPC2.5K MIDI out to MPC3K MIDI in
By richie Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 pm
People act like the MPC 3000 is a magic converter for your samples. The sample engine on the 3000 is quite clean!
By Wal Martian Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:46 pm
It's true most Akai samplers are very clean but the 3K has it's own signature sound, lo pass filter and a very nice swing. I find my s900 and s20 change the sound character much more. If you own a 3K just make beats on it. The one upgrade I found useful was Vaillixy which gives you copy Zn to .SND capability.
By richie Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm
@Wal Martian I hear what you're saying but TheOddFather seems to be looking for more of a coloring of his sound than anything else. In relation to the MPC 3000's midi timing, no arguments from me. I definitely agree that there is something to the tight midi timing on it that creates its own vibe, I just have not personally experienced anything about the sample engine that made anything jump out to me. So much so that I have my rack sitting being utilized as an object I sometimes stub my toe on when going to bed. Seems like he'd be better off buying an S900/S950 or S20 or anything else within that time period to resample all his sh*t through it.

Maybe I'm not utilizing it correctly, I don't know man. I've f*cked with the different gain settings enough to try to get something unique enough sounding to me to want to use it more and didn't get "it" *shrug*
By SEMS Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 am
When you see the exclamation mark you doing it right.

The 3k DEFINITELY has a sound. Contrary to popular belief so does the 2k. Haven't really messed with anything newer (I did use the 4k a lot but that was back in the day & I wasn't all into making a science out of the sound) so can't really comment on that. But yeah, you can use some cliche words like punchy and fat to describe the 3k and they're true.
By Wal Martian Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 am
SEMS wrote:Contrary to popular belief so does the 2k.

I love sampling breaks in to the 2000 classic at 45RPM +8 and pitching them down, it has a very crunchy "boxy" sound I really relate it to early Kanye/chicago sounding stuff. @ritchie all I can say is keep messing with it just listen to Dr. Dre 2001 and Jay Dee you will hear it. I agree a s950 would definitely work as a good coloring sampler or even an ESI32 rack or ASR10 rack. I do exactly that with my s900 rack it's handy with the auto chromatic program.
By TheOddfather Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:17 pm
Thanks for the replies! I can most definitely tell the difference between the sound of the 2500 and the 3000. There isn't anything wrong with the 2500's sound, just more clean. I got the 2500 recently just because if I want to make a beat really fast I can literally load drums from my memory card and sample and chop within seconds. Not to say that I can't do everything fast with the 3000, it just takes a little more time. But there is a sound difference, you can hear it almost instantly.
By davehate Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:49 am
I have a 3000 daisy chained to my 2500... but I do it opposite of you.

I sample chop and arrange on my 2500

Then with my record out from 2500 to record in on 3000

Then I set each record time to one second and individually record each pad hit off 2500 to 3000 and assign pads on 3000... sounds tedious but I can do 16 pads in about 1 minute..that way I get the sound of the 3000 but all the tech work is done on the far superior 2500.

And I've side by side compared way files of the exact same things recorded from 2500 and 3000
What I've found is 3000 timing is pinpoint accurate ..the 2500 is a millisecond off..and the color of sound from the 3000 isn't from just the box alone but the methods you use to achieve the sound,as in filters,pitched up recording and pitch down playback,etc.