Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By buzina8 Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am
Hi,

Ive couldnt find a way to do the following. Hope you guys can help me out.

I have a:
- Turntable
- Tape/CD-player
- little mixer with 3 stereo inputs
- MPC3K with working 8 outs
- 16 channel mixer
- Computer
- 2 monitors
- 1 headset
- External Soundcard with 1 stereo input and 2 stereo outputs
- splitter for audio jacks

How you guys would set this up ? The important part is that I want to play tapes/CD's and vinly even when the MPC is turned off. And also need a full-duplex sound, so that every sound that I am playing can be recorded in the MPC and/or computer

Thanks in advance
By conrad Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:17 pm
What 16 channel mixer is it ?

What features does it have ?

You *might* be able to use the sends on it and plug the devices you want to records to into the sends you can just turn the send knob on a channel to record it.

Or it might have direct outs on each channel, in that case you just plug into the channel you want to record.

MORE INFO REQUIRED!
By buzina8 Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:35 pm
conrad wrote:What 16 channel mixer is it ?

What features does it have ?

You *might* be able to use the sends on it and plug the devices you want to records to into the sends you can just turn the send knob on a channel to record it.

Or it might have direct outs on each channel, in that case you just plug into the channel you want to record.

MORE INFO REQUIRED!

Thanks for your reaction. Its the Behringer digital mixer ddx3216, see also the link below for the specs. Well, I am not familair with the send function yet. I will try some things out with that. No direct outs available on each channel.
I want to use the mixer for its internal eq and fx.

Picture of the back:
Picture of the top:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/45332 ... e=2#manual
By buzina8 Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:53 pm
Thanks again! I have found out that main problem is not the signal flow or how I set it up. The only thing that I have replaced in my setup is the MPC2KXL with the MPC3K.
Since then I have couldnt get the same flow as I had with the XL.

So, forget my previous posts and questions. I'll start from scratch here. I have found out that the MPC3K is possibly not functioning properly.

Here I did some tests:
- If I play a mono sample and only the headphone is connected in the phone out, I can hear the sound clear and good in mono
- If I play the same mono sample and have the headphone connected only in the left main out, I hear the sound only on the left.
- If I play the same mono sample and have the headphone connected only in the right main out, I hear the sound only on the left !! Strange thing isnt it ?
- If I play the same mono sample from the direct out channel 1 and have the headphone connected to direct out 1, I hear the sound only on the left !!

- If I play a stereo sample and only the headphone is connected in the phone out, I can hear the sound clear and good in stereo
- If I play the same stereo sample and only the main outs is connected (monitors), I can hear the sound clear and good in stereo
- If I convert the same stereo sample to mono left and right on different pads and only the main outs is connected (monitors), I can hear the sound clear and good in mono
- If I convert the same stereo sample to mono left and right on different pads and only the headphone is connected in the phone out, I can hear the sound clear and good in mono
- If I convert the same stereo sample to mono left and right on different pads and have the headphone connected only in the left main out, I hear the sound only on the left
- If I convert the same stereo sample to mono left and right on different pads and have the headphone connected only in the right main out, I hear the sound only on the left ! Wtf ?
- If I convert the same stereo sample to mono left and right on different pads and play the sample from the direct out channel 1 and have the headphone connected to direct out 1, I hear the sound only on the left !!

- If I play the right side of the sample and have the headphone connected in the right main out, I hear the sound only on the left.
- When panning to right the sound disappears and comes back when panning to left. And hearing the sound only on the left.

- Everytime I can hear the sample only on the left its also happening when I connect only the monitors. So this does not only happen with the headphones.
- The PAN settings are centered for earch sample.
- When using the direct outs, the stereo main outs are set to 0 and the direct out channel to 100

Is there anything I can test more ? Am I doing something wrong or missing a setting here ? Im running the Vailixi 3.50
By conrad Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 pm
Right I'm not staying this is your whole problem or anything. But something strikes me about plugging headphones into main outs which are mono jacks and the headphone is stereo jack. Wouldn't you only hear left here as it's a mono jack the left of the headphones is the tip so i cant see plugging a stereo headphones plug into a mono output jack as getting any other result.

I'll re read the bit about the monitors though.
By buzina8 Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 pm
Hi, maybe I have found the issue. And you was also slightly referring to
See the third and fifth post here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2874&hilit=none+balanced&start=30

I guess the direct outs and main outs are unbalanced. The headphone jack is balanced.
I will test it asap with some unbalanced jacks.

I had the direct outs connected with balanced jacks into my digital mixer's line ins. So this could be the problem ! We are coming closer.
By conrad Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 pm
the headphone jack is not balanced it's stereo. there is a big difference.

balanced and stereo use the same TRS connector but the signal is very different.
By buzina8 Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 pm
Hmm. How to deal with the mpc3k's unbalanced outs and my mixer's balanced line ins ? Just use unbalanced jacks ?
By Wal Martian Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 pm
Just use balanced jacks/wires MPC to mixer. You're sticking your stereo headphones into mono outputs (L main, R main, insert) and hearing 1 channel of sound, that's expected, 1 channel is all you get from mono outs. Headphones should only go in headphone outs, nowhere else really. If it happens with your speakers as well, check your input wires and check your outputs of your MPC etc. If your board has a rec out you could use that to sample in to your MPC while still listening to CD, record etc when the MPC is not on.
By buzina8 Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 am
Wal Martian wrote:You're sticking your stereo headphones into mono outputs (L main, R main, insert) and hearing 1 channel of sound, that's expected, 1 channel is all you get from mono outs.

This is not it.
I have converted a stereo sample in mono. So basically I have two mono samples (left and right)
L = on pad 1
R = on pad 2

- Headphone is connected to left main out. When playing pad 1 it comes from only the LEFT side of my headphone
- Headphone is connected to left main out. When playing pad 2 it comes from only the LEFT side of my headphone
- After this I switch the headphones jack to the right main out. And now I am playing pad 2 and comes also from only the LEFT side of my headphone. I was expecting it from the RIGHT side.

Why do I only here the sounds from the LEFT side and not from RIGHT ? Even when the headphone jack is connected to the right main out.

Wal Martian wrote:Just use balanced jacks/wires MPC to mixer.

I am using balanced cables at this moment. But not getting the results I want. My outs dropping in level and hearing it only from the LEFT.
By conrad Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm
Because the right main out is a mono connector.

Use Google and read about tip/sleeve connectors and tip/ring/sleeve connectors
By buzina8 Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:54 pm
Alright, but just to keep it short.

MPC3K unbalanced outs to a mixers balanced input. Do I need balanced or unbalanced jacks?
Just need an answer not tips read this, read that. Which I really appriciate dont get me wrong.

I'll guess unbalanced. Cause I have issues using balanced.