Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By richie Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:24 am
Since you're in Australia, are you using a step down transformer to use your MPC 3000?
By A pair of Glasses Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 am
This indeed sounds like an power supply isseu... Pull it out and recap all of it, doesn't cost much. If the power supply is still all original with no new caps on it.. After +20 years of usage, its the main source of issues.. I experienced the same issues with the biggest cap on it, it was worn out, replaced it (also the rest of it when I was at it) and its working like an charm.
Now keep in mind that if this is the case and I solved your issues, u probably wanna do an re-cap for the complete machine. Caps do get worn out after years of use.

Greets
Danny
By viacom Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 am
I had this exact problem.

Check the underside of the power supply pcb, particularly where transformer cable connects to the 5 pin connector.

It may look browned or darkened from overheating. You may find some cold solder points there that need to be reflowed. And check that the connector is making proper contact.

Also, If you see one that is browned like this, you may want to lay a small strip of solder along that pin to make it make better contact. This worked for me.
By vout Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm
By coincidence, I just repaired a 60 that had exactly the same problem - the solder joints on the large PSU cap were broken (dry joints) I loaded them with extra solder to increase the mechanical strength. Must be a common problem, probably caused by mechanical and thermal stresses - over years of use these machines take a pounding!