Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jcass226 Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:06 pm
Hello. Sorry to sound too amateur but I felt like this was the best place to post this question. So Im new to beat making but I always had an interest in beats and MPC's and I finally got an MPC 3000 that I am trying to teach myself to use. Im trying to play the sounds on my midi keyboard over my drums on the MPC 3000, but every time I hit a key on the MIDI keyboard, the MPC plays the drum sounds. In other words, the drum sounds play on the keyboard instead of the keyboard sounds playing on the keyboard. Im almost sure its because I am hooking it up wrong. I have my MIDI cord going directly OUT of the keyboard and IN to the MPC. Can anyone help? thanks
By A pair of Glasses Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 am
Pfoe... What are you trying to achieve??
Does you're midi keyboard have sounds??
I'm guessing that if this is only an midi keyboard (no sounds on its own) that u have hooked it up correctly, and that if u have 16 sounds under your pads that the response of the mpc is good when u press an note.

But I'm not sure if I understand you're question correct B-)
By jcass226 Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 pm
Thanks for your reply. Well @A pair of Glasses If I understand correctly I can hook a MIDI keyboard and play, for instance, a track with piano keys, into the mpc and have a track with keys on it. I was wondering how to do so. As i have it hooked up now, the keyboard plays the drum sounds that are in the mpc and not the keyboard sounds that the keyboard plays on its own.

Thanks @Wal Martian. I think I tried that but I will double check and try again. Thanks for your help
By A pair of Glasses Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:59 pm
Ah... So you're midikeyboard does have its own sounds..
In that case a second midi cable is needed. = mpc midi output to your keyboard midi input.

Your keyboard has an midi input, so that means it also has an midi chanel. Most gear have it standard on chanel1, but be sure to look it up in the manual(there is also gear that wont go further than chanal1)

On the mpc you need to make a midi-track, there u can select desired midi output (a.b.c.d) with the corresponding midi Chanel of your keyboard.

Making an midi track can be a bit tricky (mpc60) when selecting your pads on or off. But u find out quickly I guess when it isn't working as planned.
(drum on/off, midi on/off)

Greets B-)