Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By stealthtank Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 pm
is it worth getting a SCSI harddrive/SCSI SDcard reader for the MPC60? Getting crazy with all these floppys. Does the 60 have any folder type system to sort your samples in or will every sample, program and sequence be in the same folder on the hard drive? thanks
By A pair of Glasses Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:25 am
Yes It's worth it.
I'm using a cf reader, and its super quick. One of the best upgrades in my opinion.
After formatting, you get folders a-z to store what u want.

Greets
By A pair of Glasses Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 am
I'm using it only for drums and hits, so not much to organize, to keep it simple (for me) I've got the tr909 stored at the T, or korg samples under the K.

But for me the most inspiring asset was the speed of the upgrade. Loading-in samples with the time length (32sec) is done in les then a couple of seconds.

Greets
By stealthtank Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm
Cheers! im def getting a SCSI sd/cf card hard drive. They are quite expensive on ebay tho.. around 200 usd. guess i will have to keep looking
By A pair of Glasses Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm
It isn't really cheap indeed.. My set is using the acard7210 (if I am correct) and this interface is the most expensive one.
Perhaps there is a forum member that can advise u in an cheaper solution., I am off course only experienced with this solution. But it works like an rocket,.. And pay a bit of attention to witch cf card u put in to it.. I did used a false one (to big or to fast) that coused some strange digital white noise effects on the tailes of longer samples (crashes or rides) replaced it with an smaller and slower one and its fine.

Greets
By vout Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 am
I just installed scsi and an sd card in my 60 (mkI). The cheapest option I could find was the scsi card from DOPE SHHT ONLY - around £100 from ebay (item # 263064588267) including postage (from Italy), together with a V5 SCSI2SD card which I bought from here - http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ts_id=1264 - I'm in the UK so this was the cheapest and quickest option, around £65 delivered. You will also need a cable converter or custom cable to connect these together. I didn't realise this until I installed it so I made up my own cable (PITA) but you can buy an adapter board from Artmix for another £50 (total ripoff) here - ebay item # 332315230451. Plus theres the cost of an SD card.

So yeah, it is not cheap to fit scsi, but the speed benefits are probably worth it in the long run. BUT, I find that saving/loading times are still pretty slow (especially for scsi) it is only approx 5x faster than floppy speed. I've used a lot of other samplers with scsi/sd upgrades and they were all much faster, maybe 30-50x speed increase, so the 60 is a slow machine for sure. I also tried it with an external zip drive and the speed was the same.

If your main concern is just getting rid of floppies though, it might be better to just fit a Gotek (HxC flashed type) instead - this will give you the full 780k floppy capacity of the original floppies, not the 720k of a standard Gotek and only costs around £25 (if you do it yourself) and you can store 1000 floppies on a single USB flash drive. It's no faster than a floppy but a lot more reliable and convenient.
By A pair of Glasses Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:53 am
HM.. I can't agree with the loading times @vout.
I can't read the sample names when loading, it depends on the length of the sample a bit of course., for instance an 16 samples drum kit with all of them 1 second length, takes about 5 - 10 seconds to drop it all under the pads.
Perhaps try a different sd-card? I will pop mine out to check what it says, I know its a 1gb cf card, but the writing speed I need to check B-)

Greets
By vout Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 pm
Thanks for the info A pair of Glasses. I've just been trying it with some old 1G and 4G SD cards I had lying around and they were all pretty slow. I have a 3000 with the SCSI2SD in it as well and using the same cards I am getting much faster speeds - around 5s for an average program, I expected the same sort of performance with the 60. Maybe there is something wrong with my setup on the 60.
By vout Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:25 am
Okay, thanks for the info - interesting that scsi to ide / ide to CF is much faster than scsi to SD (on the 60 at least) I might get one of those acard adapters if I can find a cheap one.
By vout Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am
stealthtank wrote:How do you guys organize your samples and projects? still looking for inspiration

I think the best way to handle storage depends on your use - if you use a lot of one-shot shorter samples then you are going to hit the limits on the number of files you can store per partition (max 224 files on os 3.10) before you hit the space limit (max 30MB per partition). If you tend to use longer samples then it's not such a problem. Another thing to be aware of is if you have a lot of programs in a partition then all the samples must have unique names, otherwise it's easy to overwrite samples by accident, eg if you have a kick1 in one program and a different kick1 in another.