Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By D.E.L.B. Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:02 am
Hi,

So I had a look at Sample Kings tutorial and basically to hook up your synths you do:
Master Keyboard MIDI OUT to MIDI IN PORT on the MPC 3000
MIDI OUT PORT to First Synth
MIDI THRU PORT to Second Synth
MIDI THRU PORT to Drum Machine

Navigate to the "MAIN SCREEN" and press "Play" and "Record." Record your sequence with the master keyboard onto a track with some properties. Assign it to the MIDI channel that the synthesizer is listening on and the type as "MIDI" and then "On: YES."

To record another track you make another track by selecting with the wheel and do the same as the above for the other synth and drum machine but with "OVERDUB" enabled.

You then go to SONG MODE to write a song. You activate SONG MODE by going to the "SONG MODE" button and then selecting your sequence and selecting how many times you want it to repeat and then which track you want to go to next with either SOFT KEY 3 or SOFT KEY 4.

Is that right? Anything else I should know?
By Lampdog Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 am
I do this same thing on rare occasions when I use mpc4k as master, triton extreme w/midi thru to emu turbo phatt and ipad on 4k’s second set of midi in/outs.

So yes, every patch on every machine gets it’s own midi channel. Tracks on master set to midi.
By Wal Martian Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 am

If you're doing it this way (MIDI chain), make sure your first synth is set to channel 1A
second synth channel 2A
drum machine channel 3A

your MPC3000 has 4 MIDI outputs, so you could also do
MIDI out A - synth 1
MIDI out B - synth 2
MIDI out C - drum machine.

You can press the Track+ button to go to the next track (instead of using the wheel)
By D.E.L.B. Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:28 pm
Lampdog wrote: I do this same thing on rare occasions when I use mpc4k as master, triton extreme w/midi thru to emu turbo phatt and ipad on 4k’s second set of midi in/outs.

So yes, every patch on every machine gets it’s own midi channel. Tracks on master set to midi.

So if you have a sound module that has multiple patches you set the patch up with its own MIDI channel and then set the 3000 to send on that MIDI channel?

Also, is OVERDUB only needed when you want to OVERDUB on the same track? If you want to put another sound on a different track is OVERDUB not needed then?

Thanks.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:44 pm
So if you have a sound module that has multiple patches you set the patch up with its own MIDI channel and then set the 3000 to send on that MIDI channel?
Yes, I set my mpc to send on that channel.

Also, is OVERDUB only needed when you want to OVERDUB on the same track?
Yes

If you want to put another sound on a different track is OVERDUB not needed then?
You can't overdub beatmaking that is not there, of course overdub is not needed on a new empty track.

Thanks.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Like I said I don’t have a 3k but some midi stuff is universal.

Also not all kybds and sound modules are multi-timbral.
Meaning, capable of using 16 midi channels for 16 patches.
By Wal Martian Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
D.E.L.B. wrote:
Lampdog wrote: I do this same thing on rare occasions when I use mpc4k as master, triton extreme w/midi thru to emu turbo phatt and ipad on 4k’s second set of midi in/outs.

Yes, I've done this with my Motif, work well you just have to put the synth in the right "Multi" mode