Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By JUKE 179r Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm
saunlani wrote:are there many bugs with vailixi?

Off Topic but... no bugs but I really can't compare the 2 OS' because I spent little time using OS 3.11 before I got the Vailixi OS 3.5.
I just wish I could use WAV files on my 3000 but that's what my 2000XL and 4000 are for.
By richie Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm
vout wrote:Well, he wrote the Vailixi code so maybe there is a slim possibility of official support and maybe even updates or bugfixes if he got involved again.

I'm not discounting his work and I understand what you're saying. I believe that in the 9 years since the last release, the way things were handled on his side with continuing to leave the site up, receiving payments and several people losing money and not receiving their eproms/anything in return for it --He'd have to come up with something revolutionary as a consolation prize for all the bs.
By vout Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm
Didn't realize it was that long ago, but I agree completely. I looked over that thread again and it was a bad situation - I can fully sympathise with those who lost out, having lost money myself in the MB808 debacle a few years ago.
By saunlani Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:05 pm
OK, just wanted to follow up with the solution.

I've placed orders for the following, which I believe gives me everything I need to replace the floppy drive with an SD card reader.

SCSI2SD v5 - $73
AKAI MPC3000 internal SCSI connector CONVERSION KIT - $64
SCSI2SD v5 (3.5 internal floppy mounting bracket) - $16

*** Vailixi 3.5 upgrade - $40 (isn't necessary, but considering the improved functionality, definitely worth it)

$193 is still significantly cheaper than $280 for the MPC 3000 Internal SCSI Card Reader Drive Kit at mpc-stuff.

Thanks everyone, hopefully this stuff arrives soon so I can get cracking away at the install.
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm
Great! Those 4 items are drastic improvements for your MPC3000.
Just to add... the SCSI2SD card reader can be powered by the 50 pin SCSI cable so there is really no need for a power connection to the SCSI reader. In saying that, I soldered in a molex 5VDC (red + & black -) power connector from the old Floppy power connector because I didn't want any weird power glitches when using the rear DB25 SCSI connection.
By saunlani Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:50 pm
another follow up, everything has finally arrived. i noticed i need an additional 26 pin scsi ribbon cable to connect the conversion kit to the scsi port on the board. so i went with this one.

Uxcell IDC Flat Ribbon Cable, 26 Pin, 26 Wire, 2.54 mm Pitch, 40 cm Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BI00AUA/re ... 5zbSFVHXKZ

it arrives friday, so by saturday, everything should be good to go. i’m assuming i have to configure the scsi2sd board before use, and i think i’ve located some solid instructions for that.
By JUKE 179r Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:50 pm
saunlani wrote:... i noticed i need an additional 26 pin scsi ribbon cable to connect the conversion kit to the scsi port on the board. so i went with this one.

:shock: I'm surprised it was missing. You can't use the rear DB25 SCSI connection without that ribbon cable going to the SCSI board.
By richie Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm
Artimix went ahead and basically copied the scsi2sd right down to their bootloader and firmware in their new card reader.
By JUKE 179r Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:02 pm
I've seen that before. It's a bad card.
B warned too... If you use 12VDC to power the SCSI2SD it will fry the card. It only accepts 5VDC or bus power from the the 50pin SCSI cable.
By vout Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:05 pm
The Gotek is only a floppy drive emulator and loading and saving is just as slow. SCSI2SD emulates a scsi drive with SCSI speed and size.