Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By JCRAIG66 Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Hi,

I'm using my mpc 3000 Valexi as a standalone sequencer, and every time I change tracks from a midi track to a drum track I'm getting drum pad sounds presumably from a midi input echo or something. Here's the setup:

Roland JP-60 as the master using the Kenton Pro DCB Mk3 -- MPC input 1, output A1
Korg monologue output 4A
C-64 midibox 2A
Ableton (for recording) - input 2(for time sync) , output 1b, 2b for virtual instruments.

So on the main screen during playback if I cycle through the tracks, when I select a "midi" track everything is fine, but if I select a "drum" track, all of a sudden I get a few more drum sounds straight from the pads. I've auditioned all of the tracks separately (solo) to find a culprit, but when played solo the problem disappears. In song mode it does exactly the same thing except I can't just select a midi track to make it go away. Hopefully this explanation makes sense, sort of difficult to explain.

Here are some other parameters I've set:

Midi Routing: recieve ch All, Local ON, Soft thru: OFF
Tempo/sync: Midi input 2 Sync out: Midi clock All

Hope I can get some help with this, and I'll post the results if I figure it out :)

best,
Jordan
By Wal Martian Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 pm
*I just re-read the question, so your Kenton box is to convert MIDI and send it to the JU? The MPC has 2 inputs and 4 outputs. Drum tracks are meant to be the sounds assigned to the pads of the 3000. If you record some MIDI notes on a track then change it from MIDI to DRUM, hearing sounds from the pads is expected. Maybe I'm not fully understanding your problem.
By Wal Martian Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm
JCRAIG66 wrote:...output A1
...output 4A
...2A

You have 3 synths on 3 MIDI channels, are you using a DRUM track at all? If you have samples in the 3K for your drums set the track to DRUM and leave Chn:OFF-(off)
I think the Jupiter might be sending notes thru
By JCRAIG66 Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 pm
Thanks for the help Wal!

Yes I have 3 drum tracks running just samples. They are currently set to "drum" and Chn:OFF

But I see what you mean, it does sound exactly as if It was midi coming through and hitting the sampler. I just can't figure out how. To answer your other question, yes the Kenton is to covert midi signals to/from the pre midi Juno 60.
By Wal Martian Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm
Ok this makes more sense, you have a Juno 60, no MIDI. Your OP said JP60 I thought you mean Jupiter. Are you using the Juno keys as your main keyboard? Is your Juno modded at all? I think the kenton+Juno combo is causing MIDI notes to send out when you don't need/want them to.