Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By tapedeck Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am
i bet there is something stuck in them. try holding the machine and shaking to see if anything falls out. alternatively, get a flashlight and really look in there see if you cant see and old plug piece or dirt stuck in there.

fact is - glad you got the vinyl sampling figured out, and it sounds like yer mpc rec switch and possibly your jacks are messed up.
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 am
most likely. thankyou!!! i did look inside my REC IN and saw nothing. i feel it just needs a clean up or some deoxit type product. my only issue now is that when i try to sample on MID the record will cut out almost as if the ground wire kept detaching cause when it cut out i would only hear the signal off the record itself.
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm
Do u know why its doing that???
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 pm
Hey quick question. So i bought a stereo to mono adapter to fix the issue but now when i sample the vinyl will cut out n wont play the whole break. Almost as if the ground wire keeps cutting out n i only hear the signal off the vinyl itself not through my speakers. So i only get bits of the break instead of the full sample. Any ideas?? ALSO my rec in keeps pushing my wires out. It will plug in n then pop out like half a centimetre. I looked inside n saw nothing blocking the way. Could deoxit fix this?? Those are my two issues as of now. :))
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Whoever knows whats wrong please let me know asap
By Wal Martian Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 pm
Raudy wrote:1/4 TS to Dual 1/4 TSF.

TRS? The input on the 60 is MONO BALANCED. This means a TRS carrying one channel of audio. You can sample the L or the R off your record, but not both (unless you use a summing mixer). It sounds like your gain switch is cutting out. IF you're confident, open the MPC and check for dry solder joints and other issues. For now I would just set it to HI and if that works stick with that, set the switch and forget it.
By LoopTheCrook Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 pm
that 60 has problems... no doubt.
get the outputs and inputs checked out by someone.

from what I read, that comes to my mind:

- f'ed up I/O; (for "jacks won't stay inside")
if the previous owner didn't have the mixer, I assume he was constantly plugging in and out cables consequently busting Ins and Outs;

- damaged solder points; (for "canceling signal")
temperature changes and (not gentle transport) can cause these things.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

remember that this is almost 30-year-old equipment. they become fragile over time.
I hope you fix this issue, 60 is one hell of a sampler :)
Byanon_59393a948 Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 pm
my buddy is gonna take a look it tomorrow. :) thanks for your input brother!! thanks for everyone who helped as well. tryna maintain this beast for now!! yes you're right it is a 30 year old sampler so it wont work perfect
By tapedeck Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm
Raudy wrote:my buddy is gonna take a look it tomorrow. :) thanks for your input brother!! thanks for everyone who helped as well. tryna maintain this beast for now!! yes you're right it is a 30 year old sampler so it wont work perfect

it will work perfect if you maintain and repair it :mrgreen:
Byanon_59393a948 Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 pm
HAd my buddy look at it and it just has a bad REC In so i gotta replace the input and maybe an internal cleanup and it should up n running
By LoopTheCrook Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Raudy wrote:my buddy is gonna take a look it tomorrow. :) thanks for your input brother!! thanks for everyone who helped as well. tryna maintain this beast for now!! yes you're right it is a 30 year old sampler so it wont work perfect

it will work perfect if you maintain and repair it :mrgreen:

exactly :nod:
By richie Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 pm
So I did some research, the service manual reports that "2P HLJ0520-110 6.3" is the jack you are looking for. It's the same jack used in the MPC 3000 and many Ensoniq, Korg, Roland instruments as well.

Now, even tho the "2P HLJ0520-110 6.3" is the listed part, they're obviously not the only manufacturer that ever made a 1/4" female mono jack, so you have several options. Depending on urgency, you can go on eBay grab this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-Phone-Ja ... 3000358314

Or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JALCO-PJ3-Repl ... 2136531853

And it will be a direct working replacement for any of the MPC 60 jacks. It's not a hard thing to replace, just desolder the old ones and replace with the ones listed.

Good luck.
Byanon_59393a948 Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 am
Thankyou so much Richie!!!!! This is really helpful
By richie Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 am
You're welcome man. I'm glad that it isn't expensive to do and somewhat surprised no one has posted about where to find the right replacement parts before.
By tapedeck Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm
richie wrote:You're welcome man. I'm glad that it isn't expensive to do and somewhat surprised no one has posted about where to find the right replacement parts before.

that part number appears to be akai specific.

somebody who has one could do a good favor by posting some detailed pics and/or measurements and i bet we could find the generic part on mouser / ebay