Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Byanon_59393a948 Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 pm
certain vinyl i sample have the mpc60 totally removing all lowend and giving it much more mid range. considering the mpc60 is known for its warm fat sound i question why mine is lacking this appeal. any ideas? also my rec gain output keeps popping the wires out n wont stay in. the gain also jumps sometimes n when i listen to the playback the sample will sound low n jump to high at random. please help otherwise i gotta buy a new one....
By tapedeck Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 pm
Raudy wrote:...my rec gain output keeps popping the wires out n wont stay in...

:hmmm: yer what now?

Raudy wrote:also my rec gain output keeps popping the wires out n wont stay in. the gain also jumps sometimes n when i listen to the playback the sample will sound low n jump to high at random. please help otherwise i gotta buy a new one....

i mean it sounds like your mpc is broken. i'm personally having a hard time following your exact problem and symptoms, but if your mpc is 'popping wires out' and the gain is 'jumping'...then i have to assume your mpc is screwed up somewhere and that could also be what is causing your issues.
Byanon_59393a948 Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm
yes its **** up. gotta fork out another 1000 dollars for a new one now... thanks for your input tho :)
By tapedeck Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Raudy wrote:yes its **** up. gotta fork out another 1000 dollars for a new one now... thanks for your input tho :)

not necessarily. i mean, it can likely be fixed. i still dont understand exactly what is wrong, so its hard to suggest what to look at.

if you are going to throw it out, i'll take it off yer hands and try to repair it myself.
Byanon_59393a948 Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm
okok ill explain better sorry lol. so basically when i sample certain vinyl records all of the low end disappears and sounds very mid-high range. so like basslines wont show up during playback but all horns or voices will. also, when i plug in my wires into the rec gain output or stereo outputs they will pop out, like i plug it in n it pops out. also, the rec gain has 3 switches hi-mid-low. i sample at mid so its not overly distorted and when i move the switch between the 3 options i hear alot of dirt n noise from my speakers meaning it must be dirty. also i feel like the mpc60 doesnt stay in one option and sometimes when i sample a record i will hear that it starts low n the sound will jump very loud because the switch mustve changed internally during the recording. i bought this second hand n the guy who preowned it said he serviced everything but was told that at one time there was water spilled onto it; yet he said there was no issues. idk whats is wrong with it tbh.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 am
wtf is a 'rec gain output' tho?
do you mean the REC IN?

it sounds like your switch is or even the jacks are screwed up. if the cables are popping out, my guess is there is something in the jack preventing the cable from going all the way in.

if you can look in the jacks, you might see an old piece of a plug or lots of dirt or something. if you bought a machine that admittedly had water spilled on it, you should expect trouble.

do you have any already made samples you could load up? this way, you could see if the outputs or the inputs are the problem. if the mpc playsback fine with something sampled elsewhere, then yer input chain is bad somewhere - my guess is the switch or the jacks.

i hope you figure it out - if your solution is to just buy a new mpc60, im not sure you should be buying mpc60s. you've got to know how to maintain + repair old equipment if you want to use it these days.
and next time someone says 'i spilled water on it'...dont give them more than half of what its worth.

good luck!
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 am
yes i meant the REC in. LOL my apologies; i sound rlly silly saying rec gain output ahaha. i would rather maintain it that purchase a new one to be honest. thanks for your help!!! :) i will see to get it serviced
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 am
if you like, i could email you recordings of the issue im explaining :)
By Wal Martian Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 am
Answer the 3 following questions

1.Do you have a DJ mixer or PHONO preamp in your setup to boost the PHONO level output of your turntable to LINE level?
2. Are you using any type of splitter/stereo to mono adaptors in your setup?
3. Is the gain switch on the back of your MPC set to HI, MID or LOW?
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 pm
1. I am using a phono preamp
2. I dont have a splitter
3. The gain switch is on mid (but i feel internally the mpc60 is stuck between hi n mid which explains the recording jumping from hi to low while sampling)

Turntable rca (white n red) cables into the preamp inputs

1/4 stereo out to the 1 and 2 outputs on the front of my presonus interface

The outputs of my preamp rca cables to the jvc speakers input (red n white)

And a 1/4 cable from the output of my preamp into my rec in when i sample (otherwise i plug that into the main output of my presonus interface

(When i play the vinyl with the 1/4 plugged into the main output of my interface the vinyl cut out every 5 seconds)

(The preamp has stereo output for the rca cables and one mono output for the 1/4)
By Cockdiesel Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 pm
Are you sure it’s not your turn table? Have you tried to sample from other sources, tried your turntable with other sources?
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:34 pm
I could attempt to sample my macbook or a yamaha keyboard but thats all i have other than my turntable.
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:36 pm
Btw my mpc 1000 has no issues with the turntable. Everything sounds flush and the signal picks up properly so im not sure if it is the table itself
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:29 pm
Any ideas???