Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By classytouch Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm
martel80 wrote:I'm having the same type of issues now and just an idea to suggest if you're in need of more inputs to go to fewer AD conversion.

There's some DIY Summing mixer that are quite cheap and well regarded. Usually 16 unbalaced inputs.

I'm far from having a 22 synth setup but right now I need to have my 2kXL, my S3000 and my EPS 16+_ all going in together as clean as possible.

So I decided to go with a DIY summing mixer and If I need to bounce my tracks one by one I can always mute my units without losing anything.

Food for thoughts.

Nice! Thanks for your input. I'm still trying to get my music right, I haven't even considered the summing end of things. I sold my summing mixer ( SSL Sigma ) a while ago. Are you using a bus compressor at all?
By martel80 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 pm
classytouch wrote:
martel80 wrote:I'm having the same type of issues now and just an idea to suggest if you're in need of more inputs to go to fewer AD conversion.

There's some DIY Summing mixer that are quite cheap and well regarded. Usually 16 unbalaced inputs.

I'm far from having a 22 synth setup but right now I need to have my 2kXL, my S3000 and my EPS 16+_ all going in together as clean as possible.

So I decided to go with a DIY summing mixer and If I need to bounce my tracks one by one I can always mute my units without losing anything.

Food for thoughts.

Nice! Thanks for your input. I'm still trying to get my music right, I haven't even considered the summing end of things. I sold my summing mixer ( SSL Sigma ) a while ago. Are you using a bus compressor at all?

I havent tried it on my sampler setup yet but yes, I have a modified ART VLA 2 and a Gyraf SSL Clone.

This is my Home setup by the way.

I was thinking of buying the color 500 series from DIYRE and go Samplers - summing box - Color 500 - Opto - VCA - AD.
By classytouch Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:40 pm
martel80 wrote:I havent tried it on my sampler setup yet but yes, I have a modified ART VLA 2 and a Gyraf SSL Clone.

I was thinking of buying the color 500 series from DIYRE and go Samplers - summing box - Color 500 - Opto - VCA - AD.

I have an ART VLA II as well and have been pondering how exactly I can incorporate it into my setup. Should I use it at the input sample stage? Should I use in to track out through? I usually mix in the computer but all my creativity is done out the box. How are you using your ART VLA II? How has it been modified?

I sold my SSL bus compressor, I've been having to settle for the Waves plugin which ain't bad, but nothing like the hardware.
By martel80 Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 pm
classytouch wrote:
martel80 wrote:I havent tried it on my sampler setup yet but yes, I have a modified ART VLA 2 and a Gyraf SSL Clone.

I have an ART VLA II as well and have been pondering how exactly I can incorporate it into my setup. Should I use it at the input sample stage? Should I use in to track out through? I usually mix in the computer but all my creativity is done out the box. How are you using your ART VLA II? How has it been modified?

I sold my SSL bus compressor, I've been having to settle for the Waves plugin which ain't bad, but nothing like the hardware.

My VLA 2 has the revive audio with carnhill transformer modification.

Like I said, It's not plugged to my chain yet but it will be.
The moded opto comp in itself give a very great depth and width.

I suggest you save some money and send your unit to revived audio. This unit is not so bad by itself but once modded its jaw dropping.

The Vla will need to go after your output men. If you have a multiple sampler setup like me, this will be an awesome ''Mix Bus comp''. That with a clean vca will be all you need really. You then cut your extra peak ITB with a A.O.M invisible limiter and you're in Business !!

The Gyraf SSL is ....OK.
I've heard a comparison of the STAM SA-4000 and a couple plugins all emulating the famous SSL G series compressor and I can tell by that youtube video that my Gyraf doesnt have the weight of the Stam. So again, if you have a bit of money to spend, I suggest you take a look at the unit. If not, just buy the SSL Duende Bus compressor. ( Still 329 Bucks tho ...ouch )
All the other emulation are a pure joke to me.

Personnaly, In my situation, what I need nowis coloration in the lowmid and warmth and for that reason ill build one of those DIY color 500 series and put some color I need in it. I saw they have the famous Neve 1083 pre in there so thats one of the 3 color for sure. I'm not sure about the other 2 yet tho'.
By Wal Martian Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:14 pm
richie wrote:I thought the "compression" was for compressing the actual size of file and not actual plugin type compression.

MPC60 Manual wrote:The new Sound Compression feature squeezes any sound into ½
the memory space, at the expense of lower treble fidelity. If all
sounds in memory are compressed, this effectively doubles available
sound memory.

MPC60 Manual pg152 wrote:Sounds may be compressed to ½ their original size to save sound
memory space. This gives an MPC60 with memory expansion (26.2
seconds) an equivalent maximum sound memory of 52.4 seconds!
Compression does, however, add distortion and reduce clarity in the
treble frequencies, and can add much distortion to sounds containing a
large amount of high frequencies such as crash cymbals.
By richie Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 pm
@Wal Martian right so it's downsampling and has nothing to do with the other kind of 'compression' we tend to talk about in audio.
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 am
Question here.

I've been drooling at the mpc 3000 for the last decade and never pulled the trigger.

I got a mpc 2kxl which is mostly used as my sequencer to control my S3000 and my EPS 16+.

In order of coloration and overall sound rendering my favorite in my setup are:
S3000
EPS 16+(closely following but second due to lack of sampling time)
Mpc 2KXL.

I really love the workflow on my 2kXL and I'm starting to understand some of the basic functionality. On the other hand, I find the sound a bit too crisp for certain sound. For example, Sometime it feel like my kick drum is losing low end but gaining mid lows and 1-2khz which make it knock hard but....I dont know,it might not always be what I want. I mean, the 2kxl definitely give another palette of color compared to the 2 other samplers but to me,it feel a bit harsh sometimes.
I just learned I can organise my composition by folder name in the 2kXL( In my case this will become the name of the composition containing all sounds and sequence to be loaded quickly), which will be a life saver from now on.

My question is, what functionality will I lose if I decide to sell my 2kXL and get a 3000 ?
The S3000 is so sweet, I just feel like the 3000 will be perfect for me ( Sound wise ).
But I'm scared to end up being a lot restricted in functionality, specialy when I see some of you mentioning some limitation compared to other samplers.
My second choice would have been a 4000 but I'm not sure about the sound as I never heard one live.

To resume, my question is, if you could have only one sequencer/sampler, which one would you choose between the 3000, 4000, 2000XL.
Please keep in mind that the priority in my case would be the swing, the sound characteristics and the organisation ( saving by custom named folder in zip drive...I just love zip drive)
By Wal Martian Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm
richie wrote:@Wal Martian right so it's downsampling and has nothing to do with the other kind of 'compression' we tend to talk about in audio.

:nod: Yes sir it is lowering the file size and in turn there is less information which degrades the sound. Not referring to audio compression like a 1176 but file compression.
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 pm
Compared to let say my 2000XL, the MPC 3000 sound rounder, more thick.....like if it was polished.
The bass and mid low is also quite different, I found it to be lifted a bit in the 100 to 300hz....or maybe saturated, dunno.
Definitely warmer then my mpc 2000xl.
The spike at 1 to 4khz on my mpc 2000xl is absent on the 3000 ( that polished sound I was talking bout )

I'm a bit scared by all those people telling me youre limited with a 3000, thats why I'm asking. I'm no pro of the mpc .
By richie Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:54 pm
@martel have you conducted an actual frequency analysis to solidify this? I'm curious.
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:28 pm
richie wrote:@martel have you conducted an actual frequency analysis to solidify this? I'm curious.

That would be hard as I dont have a MPC 3000 nor a 4000 but I would be happy to post a frequency response test for the EPS 16+ the S3000 and the MPC 2000XL.

Of course, if you'd like to contribute, you can send me your MPC 3000 and I'll be happy to include it into the test.

Sadly, the only parameter that I'll be able to post is the frequency response curve.
The THD would be out of my capacity.

I'll create a post tonight with the 3 frequency response and the according settings.
By classytouch Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:42 pm
martel80 wrote:Compared to let say my 2000XL, the MPC 3000 sound rounder, more thick.....like if it was polished.
The bass and mid low is also quite different, I found it to be lifted a bit in the 100 to 300hz....or maybe saturated, dunno.
The spike at 1 to 4khz on my mpc 2000xl is absent on the 3000 ( that polished sound I was talking bout )

I'm a bit scared by all those people telling me youre limited with a 3000, thats why I'm asking. I'm no pro of the mpc .

The only limitation is your mind my friend. It seems a lot of users obsess over features. Worry not about the features. It's about the music. The feel.....Something the Mpc 3000 has LOTS of!
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 pm
classytouch wrote:
martel80 wrote:Compared to let say my 2000XL, the MPC 3000 sound rounder, more thick.....like if it was polished.

The only limitation is your mind my friend. It seems a lot of users obsess over features. Worry not about the features. It's about the music. The feel.....Something the Mpc 3000 has LOTS of!

Yeah, thats also very true. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing again.

Can you create a custom folder to save your programs,seq and sounds on the MPC 3000?

Now that I've discovered I can do this on my 2000XL, it really brought light on my experience.

I dont need to start back from scratch everytime anymore.

I mean, its horrible to have to load all your sound in every pad on the same order and have to write it down. When you've sampled more then 200 sound , scrolling through all of them with the jog wheel is a pain ...
By JUKE 179r Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 pm
For me its hard to compare my 3000LE vs. my 2000XL vs. my 4000.
I'm still learning the 3000LE so I'd say it's harder for me to get used to since knowing my 2000XL inside and out as far as workflow for the past 18 years.
The maxed out 4000, to me, is a 2000XL on steroids with a 6-pack of Jolt cola.