Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By intr0beatz Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 pm
Hello everyone!

I know there is another thread on this matter but the thread was locked to further replies so I just made a new one!

I just got my hands on a mpc 60 and have been going back and forth with which Gotek I should get.

I've seen people talking about two types and im not sure which one it is. Also if there is some other type that has proven to be better now in 2018, I would love to hear about it.

So the ones ive seen people speak on are these two :

1.Gotek 3.5" SFRM72-FU-DL Floppy Drive USB Emulator

2.SFR1M44-U100 Normal version 3.5 Inch 1.44MB USB SSD FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATOR GOTEK
By richie Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 am
tapedeck wrote:im a broken record on this subject, but i think the hxc is the best you can get.

If you have an extra Gotek, give Flashfloppy a try. It's free, no need to pay for hxc anymore. I got 2 Goteks in the mail last week and flashed them but I have not had time to give them some real testing. I have however read that they work fine on the shugart based drives such as the S900/S950 so by logic it should work with the 60 as well.
By intr0beatz Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49 pm
tapedeck wrote:im a broken record on this subject, but i think the hxc is the best you can get.

Do you have a link on the hxc? is just one hxc or are there different models?
By intr0beatz Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49 pm
richie wrote:

If you have an extra Gotek, give Flashfloppy a try. It's free, no need to pay for hxc anymore. I got 2 Goteks in the mail last week and flashed them but I have not had time to give them some real testing. I have however read that they work fine on the shugart based drives such as the S900/S950 so by logic it should work with the 60 as well.

Which Gotek model ?
By tapedeck Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 pm
richie wrote:

well i'd be really curious yer experience with it. all i've ever heard re: gotek is 'its just like the hxc now', but nobody has ever compared them, and i read people having problems with goteks and partitions etc quite a lot.

the goteks might work fine now, and even run like the hxc, but i maintain that the hxc is easily the 'best' option you get. its not a hack, its designed for the software it runs, the software is designed for that specific hardware, and one of my favorite features...it has a little speaker that emulates the disk drive noise when you are loading virtual disks :mrgreen:
By richie Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 am
@tapedeck - Keep in mind that hxc is the firmware which was ported by the author to work with the Gotek drives. Over the past year there have been various revisions which from what I have seen, flashfloppy has matched.

I also ordered some mini oled displays which will replace the default number led display. You have to file down part of the gotek to fit the with of the oled but after the mod is completed, you will see actual full image names that you can scroll thru vs relying on 000 / 001 / etc, as well as other fun info like what track it is at. There are some additional mods where you can install a rotary encoder to scroll through said images instead of relying on that tact switch based button.
By tapedeck Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm
richie wrote:@tapedeck - Keep in mind that hxc is the firmware which was ported by the author to work with the Gotek drives. Over the past year there have been various revisions which from what I have seen, flashfloppy has matched.

I also ordered some mini oled displays which will replace the default number led display. You have to file down part of the gotek to fit the with of the oled but after the mod is completed, you will see actual full image names that you can scroll thru vs relying on 000 / 001 / etc, as well as other fun info like what track it is at. There are some additional mods where you can install a rotary encoder to scroll through said images instead of relying on that tact switch based button.

that's cool - i didn't know the hxc->gotek software was done by the developer of hxc, that makes it seem more reliable. thanks for that info.
personally though, i'd still want to drive the chevy vs. using the officially sanctioned chevy-to-kia adapter kit to put a chevy engine in a kia. :mrgreen:
those goteks are sooo cheap tho, i can understand the appeal.
By richie Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 am
@tapedeck, yeah when you get hxc flashed on to a Gotek it involves using a usb ttl serial cable tied to a front end program that the author created, it logs in to some system and verifies your license is paid before it will proceed with flashing the Gotek (and consequently the same method to flash 'flashfloppy' minus the entire license activation system going on).

From what I recall, there are security measures in place by design for the STM controller where you can flash your firmware but have it in a protection memory region where it cannot be dumped through conventional methods -- which is why the hxc author has been able to continue development over the years. When you see people selling them on eBay, they're just buying volume licenses from the hxc author and flashing them the way I mentioned above.
By Resolute. Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 pm
richie wrote:

Hey have you tested the Goteks with Flashfloppy in a MPC 60 or S950? Do you know what the jumper settings are if in a MPC 60 or S950?
By richie Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 pm
I have not tried it in the 60 or the 950.

The jumper settings would have to be set to run in Shugart format, so I think if you set it to run just like an Amiga that it should be fine.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:32 pm
Yep, please report back so people can follow your lead and have the success you have when they are ready to get that going. Thanks in advance.
By Fanu Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:54 am
Looking at my eBay history, I see the Gotek I bought for my MPC 60 II was "SFRM72-FU USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator".
Zero issues; I think I only had to format the stick with it and it's been working like a charm ever since.
Way cheaper than HXC, no need for any file installation etc.