Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:59 pm
My mpc 60 rec in is not functioning properly. i plug in my trs balanced mono cable and the tip wont sit inside the jack. it will plug in and pop out just a few millimetres, which tells me that the tip itself is not locking into the jack. any suggestions? i got it serviced, cleaned, and sometimes the wire will sit properly but most times no... even the guy at synthswhen claimed it worked n his wire plugged in. and i am not using the wrong wires as the mpc 60 rec in output is a balanced mono output, which requires a trs cable. all suggestions are welcome. unnecessary comments will be ignored as this issue is a necessity for me to fix in order to continue working on my music and passions. thankyou
By tapedeck Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm
1) they're cables, not wires
2) "and i am not using the wrong wires as the mpc 60 rec in output is a balanced mono output, which requires a trs cable" - there is so much wrong with this statement - the input jack is in no way shape or form an output, and trs vs ts would have no bearing on plug dimensions to cause one to sit differently in the machine.

get yer terms right man - you might classify this as an 'unnecessary comment' but you sound like a fool saying these things and so its hard to take you seriously. if its your passion, put in the effort to understand and speak about it correctly.

on that note - im gonna have to assume user error on this one. have you tried multiple cables? maybe you have a cable that is bad, and the guy at the shop had a good cable and so it worked. another option, maybe its actually sitting in there fine and just looks funny - what kind of signal do you get from the rec in? is it usable?

if it truly is working only sometimes with the same cable, then what do you want us to do? the qualified service guy who physically had the machine and could inspect it is going to be a much better source of help than internet guys who cant even see the machine. maybe take him the cable that doesnt work, be humble about not knowing what's going on, and be gracious for the help he gives you.

all i can do is tell you to try your cable anyway and see what happens, try a different cable, or take it to a professional.

:mrgreen:
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 pm
tapedeck wrote:1) they're cables, not wires
2) "and i am not using the wrong wires as the mpc 60 rec in output is a balanced mono output, which requires a trs cable" - there is so much wrong with this statement - the input jack is in no way shape or form an output, and trs vs ts would have no bearing on plug dimensions to cause one to sit differently in the machine.

get yer terms right man - you might classify this as an 'unnecessary comment' but you sound like a fool saying these things and so its hard to take you seriously. if its your passion, put in the effort to understand and speak about it correctly.

on that note - im gonna have to assume user error on this one. have you tried multiple cables? maybe you have a cable that is bad, and the guy at the shop had a good cable and so it worked. another option, maybe its actually sitting in there fine and just looks funny - what kind of signal do you get from the rec in? is it usable?

if it truly is working only sometimes with the same cable, then what do you want us to do? the qualified service guy who physically had the machine and could inspect it is going to be a much better source of help than internet guys who cant even see the machine. maybe take him the cable that doesnt work, be humble about not knowing what's going on, and be gracious for the help he gives you.

all i can do is tell you to try your cable anyway and see what happens, try a different cable, or take it to a professional.

im going by what i was told from a friend so if my knowledge is wrong then it was my source, but i will take the fall for that. i also read on this forum that the mpc60 rec in is a balanced input. and doing research told me to use a trs for a balanced mono signal. so if im wrong then the info im getting is wrong to begin with, again my apologies. i made my post so someone like u could help me, as u are. my comment about unnecessary comments refer to the countless trolls that are notorious on websites like this, when someone is just trying to make music....
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 pm
regardless, i just want info on whats wrong here. and to be honest if you dont take me seriously thats cool bud, not here for drama just want to get my sampler going again...
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 pm
so if you can tell me, what exact cable should i be using? as of right now, im using my trs cable to plug from the rec in of my mpc60 to my preamp, which has rca to my vinyl player.
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm
anywys all help is welcome. if my og post is verbally incorrect, then im sorry. but i rlly need this fixed asap. cant have my mpc60 laying around with all this vinyl to sample......
By vout Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:45 am
The sample input is balanced but you can use an unbalanced or balanced cable, they will both work fine. Not all jack cables are the same, a lot of cheap cables are just junk, so use a cable with good quality jacks - Neutrik or Switchcraft for instance. If you still have problems with quality connectors then your input socket is toast and should be replaced, an easy job for any tech.
By richie Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 am
So Raudy, I'm guessing you never ordered the replacement jacks I linked you to 6+ months ago?
By tapedeck Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 am
its cool yer learning - keep it up. but i really dont know what you expect from strangers on the internet. nobody is gonna say 'oh yea flip it over and shake it three times then hit the cable-stop-sucking-button'... all you can do is try more cables til it works or take it to a tech, which you've already done.

i just dont know what you want us to tell you. any cable should work, and my guess is you've got a bad cable.
Last edited by tapedeck on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cockdiesel Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:05 am
Raudy do yourself a favor and follow the route Richie has given. Like yourself I am learning and like to use some vintage gear. I wanted an asr again like 10years after the fact and have to deal with all types of issues with it. I have found that learning to trouble shoot it and get it back to 100 to be really satisfying and will really help with the life of the old machine. Change these parts out while you still can. The asr has plenty but I have a sp that it will be ALOT harder to source parts for and honestly for its value I’m not sure I would want to try and fix this stuff myself. It’s very basic stuff and really only changing out parts if need be. What do you have to lose?
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm
hey richie, so 6 months ago i went and bought Hosa cables "Dual 1/4 in TS to Dual RCA". i also bought a 1/4 in ts male to two female outputs (unsure whether they take ts or trs i forgot). so i would plug the rca into my preamp, the dual 1/4 ts from that cable into the male-female adapter, and then that final end into my rec in, and it wouldnt lock in, it would pop out just as explained. so i gave up then, and thats why i tried just going from the mono output of my preamp using a ts cable into the rec in of my mpc. and my main issue is the wire plugging in. n ur option didnt seem to work although im unsure why it didnt. btw sorry if im wrong about how i explain my cables, its early and my buddy who knows more than me isnt around to help me explain better
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 pm
heres a quick update, i just plugged in a basic 1/4 neutrik ts from the mono output of my preamp into the rec in of my mpc60. the signal is coming thru but in bits. the record sounds choppy and it sounds like signal is choppy and not fully coming through. would this mean that its my rec in is still the issue? if so that tells me the store clerk lied about fixing anything.......... and $120 for nothing.
Byanon_59393a948 Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 pm
basically speaking , i hear two seconds of my vinyl before the signals cuts out. n it just cuts in an out randomly.
By tapedeck Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 pm
Raudy wrote:basically speaking , i hear two seconds of my vinyl before the signals cuts out. n it just cuts in an out randomly.

if multiple cables exhibit the same problem, then it sounds like it is indeed your input jack. my bet is there is something stuck inside it, like a broken piece of an old cable.
you either got to fish that out or even better replace that jack. if you can't see / feel it, i wouldn't waste my time digging around, i'd just replace the jack.