Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jacobskole12 Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:50 pm
Hi all,
I just finished replacing all the tact switches on my 3000, but now when I turn it on, only the 4,5,6 and other buttons on that row work. The only other button that works is the 16 levels. So far I’ve read that it can be a grounding issue, or a bad board. But since some of the buttons work I doubt that the board needs to be replaced. Another guy had the same problem on Reddit but no one replied. Any of you know how to fix this?
By bizon Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:51 pm
I did replace all tact switches on my 60 some time ago and didn't have any issues. All works as it should. Did you try to replace switches that doesn't work with different? Are they good quality switches? Any cracks on PCB?
By Telefunky Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:20 pm
The most likely source of the problem is in soldering, so inspect closely with a good magnifier under good light conditions.
On removal of the old switches you may have damaged through hole contacts.
(dunno the circuit board myself)
There’s a risk of solder spill to neighbor lines either on removing old solder or apply new.

If you have a lot of routine with soldering and proper gear (temperature control etc) this may not apply, but shit happens anyway...
On the other hand if you rarely pick up the iron, if it‘s a budget tool, then risk is quite high.
I‘m writing from own (startup) experience ... :Sigh: :mrgreen:
By Sense-A Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:06 pm
jacobskole12 wrote:Hi all,
I just finished replacing all the tact switches on my 3000, but now when I turn it on, only the 4,5,6 and other buttons on that row work. The only other button that works is the 16 levels. So far I’ve read that it can be a grounding issue, or a bad board. But since some of the buttons work I doubt that the board needs to be replaced. Another guy had the same problem on Reddit but no one replied. Any of you know how to fix this?

the 4,5,6 are probably on the same trace or area of PCB board that is still good.

There must be a loss of signal path to the other row or collection of buttons. This could be a damaged trace or bad solder joint not passing signal along. Or they were tact switches that were not the correct specification?

There is also possibility that tact switches were installed backward? Not sure if they are polar or have positive/negative leads? shrug

I would walk away for a while to prevent frustration. Then come back with new mindset looking for new problems and possible solutions. Examine the board and try to understand the signal path.