Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By KkonEl Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:25 pm
monogee wrote:I would like to know who has the MPC3000LE with the Serial # 0001. Now that's something.

yep I posted that ? on the first page
By Raystar Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 am
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Raystar wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:...Many people didn't even mention QTip for school him to make beats...

Eat your heart out.

Ahahaha..eat your donuts out. :lol:

I was down with Jay since way before Donuts...
By roxstar Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:56 am
"First things first..Dilla is overated..i know it sounds off topic,but leave the love-story of mpc3000LE and Dilla behind please.
...Many people didn't even mention QTip for school him to make beats..."

Not to jack the thread, but I couldn't let this slide..
I'm in Detroit, and know many people that actually knew Jay-Dee well. I've heard a lot of things over the years that most people never knew, and I can honestly tell you that this is the first that I've ever heard about this. I'll assume it's not true.
The only thing Q-Tip did was get beats for a REALLY cheap price (a Lexus Truck that Dilla had pre 1997 which is why the first Slum Village record (vol:1) does not have his name on it. Baatin created SV, and Dilla went by the name John Doe to hide his identity from Q-Tip's contract which stated he couldn't produce for anyone else. The album was under a label called "Sudden Impact."
There are a few people that Dilla learned from. Amp Fiddler Taught Dilla how to operate the MPC3000, Beej (from what I hear) introduced Dilla to chopping breakbeats etc. Q-Tip did nothing but hear a style and like it. If Q-Tip taught Dilla anything, then why doesn't Q-Tip still have solid production like the previous ATCQ albums. The last Love movement album sucked (at the time.. I think it's dope now tho) because this was Dilla's last contractual album under Tip, so he gave him some throwaways. Kinda explains the poor album sales also.
P.S It's ok not to be a Dilla fan, but please respect his grind. He developed a new style that MANY people love worldwide, represented Hip-Hop while hiding his illness for years and still remained humble till his death. Music was his first love. How many producers do you know that made an album in the hospital bead? I don't like gangsta rap, but I still have respect for 50Cent for his business savvy. He sold millions of cd's..I can barely sell 10 at the club!
What makes you think Dilla is overrated? I'm interested in understanding your response; really.
By 7 1 4 Beats Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 am
roxstar wrote:"First things first..Dilla is overated..i know it sounds off topic,but leave the love-story of mpc3000LE and Dilla behind please.
...Many people didn't even mention QTip for school him to make beats..."

Not to jack the thread, but I couldn't let this slide..
I'm in Detroit, and know many people that actually knew Jay-Dee well. I've heard a lot of things over the years that most people never knew, and I can honestly tell you that this is the first that I've ever heard about this. I'll assume it's not true.
The only thing Q-Tip did was get beats for a REALLY cheap price (a Lexus Truck that Dilla had pre 1997 which is why the first Slum Village record (vol:1) does not have his name on it. Baatin created SV, and Dilla went by the name John Doe to hide his identity from Q-Tip's contract which stated he couldn't produce for anyone else. The album was under a label called "Sudden Impact."
There are a few people that Dilla learned from. Amp Fiddler Taught Dilla how to operate the MPC3000, Beej (from what I hear) introduced Dilla to chopping breakbeats etc. Q-Tip did nothing but hear a style and like it. If Q-Tip taught Dilla anything, then why doesn't Q-Tip still have solid production like the previous ATCQ albums. The last Love movement album sucked (at the time.. I think it's dope now tho) because this was Dilla's last contractual album under Tip, so he gave him some throwaways. Kinda explains the poor album sales also.
P.S It's ok not to be a Dilla fan, but please respect his grind. He developed a new style that MANY people love worldwide, represented Hip-Hop while hiding his illness for years and still remained humble till his death. Music was his first love. How many producers do you know that made an album in the hospital bead? I don't like gangsta rap, but I still have respect for 50Cent for his business savvy. He sold millions of cd's..I can barely sell 10 at the club!
What makes you think Dilla is overrated? I'm interested in understanding your response; really.

Fo'real
By Dr. Lecter Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 pm
Look i didn't mean to disrepect Jay dee in no way.Even if i didn't like his music,that doesn't mean a thing.I just can't stand all that frenzy with Dilla.People invented the 3000LE after 2000 because of his death,they're buyin' it,getttin' photos with it,name their cds like donuts,loukoums,croissants and ish and wear groopie tees like "Dilla changed my life".I mean even the groopies of Kurt Cobain didn't even did this haha! That's all i want to say.BTW Dilla used also the sp1200 (saw it in a Source issue circa 1999)..if those kids read this they'll gonna make the sp1200 vanish from eBay and what not,i'm pretty sure. :wink:
By 7 1 4 Beats Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:00 am
Dr. Lecter wrote:Look i didn't mean to disrepect Jay dee in no way.Even if i didn't like his music,that doesn't mean a thing.I just can't stand all that frenzy with Dilla.People invented the 3000LE after 2000 because of his death,they're buyin' it,getttin' photos with it,name their cds like donuts,loukoums,croissants and ish and wear groopie tees like "Dilla changed my life".I mean even the groopies of Kurt Cobain didn't even did this haha! That's all i want to say.BTW Dilla used also the sp1200 (saw it in a Source issue circa 1999)..if those kids read this they'll gonna make the sp1200 vanish from eBay and what not,i'm pretty sure. :wink:

Yup he rocked the Sp1200 with a S950,MPC60,MPC3000,MPC 2000 Classic,and then to 3000LE a few actually.
By roxstar Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:06 am
"I just can't stand all that frenzy with Dilla.People invented the 3000LE after 2000 because of his death"
I can understand that, but Dilla didn't make people go crazy for the 3000, this craze happened well before Dilla. Any vintage machine will receive that kind of hype if it's created songs that you remember, and the 3000 has probably produced more classic hits over any machine ever created. The Linndrum was made famous by Prince, the 808/SP-1200/MPC60 will forever be famous for all the music they created in the mid to late 80's and unfortunately, a lot of people will spend any amount of money to own one.
The frenzy Dilla created was merely on his unique style that he created and constantly re-invented. Just when you'd think,"ok, I got this guys style" he changed it up. He kept people on their toes with just about every cd he came out with. It's not like a Timberland, Neptunes, etc producer where you know what your gong to hear before you even pop the cd in.
It's not hard to be original, but it is VERY difficult to be original and accepted. Anyone can be different. I could put a cake on my head and generate attention; I would be different, but how many people would go home and put a cake on their head also? Chances are none. This is why Dilla will probably be the greatest producer to ever grace what we "called" Hip-Hop. Chances are, even an album that you didn't like, you ended up liking later (not you, but people that enjoyed his styles). I hated Donuts when I first heard it. A year later, I was wondering, "What the hell was I thinking?" and many of the beats he made but never released will have most people like DAMN! The guy is dead and still got beats that's standing the test of time. He was making the beats of today 5 years ago. That's crazy!
But to agree with you, being in Detroit, I'm tired of hearing his music, but it always sounds SOO much better when I'm in another State seeing different people enjoy it. There are folks that like things just because other people like it, and there are people that REALLY enjoy it for the real reason. It's hard to tell the real from the fakers. Don't let the wannabees stop you from enjoying the goodness. Really, anyone that enjoys real Hip-Hop is doing an injustice to themselves by not knowing about the legendary Jay-Dee.
Mad props on your honesty.
By deck daddy Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Dr. Lecter wrote:if those kids read this they'll gonna make the sp1200 vanish from eBay and what not,i'm pretty sure. :wink:

Too many kids are already buying all the SP1200s off eBay and end up not using them because they can't load they're downloaded PeterockDrums.zip drums straight into it. and they don't have patience. Thinking it will all come to them without any labour. Spoiled brats. Should take a banana to their stupid a$$.

I wanted the 3000 before I knew what Jay Dee was using. I thought his stuff seemed so next-level that I thought he used more "advanced" gear.

He used a lot of equipment, and a lot of it was live stuff. On Welcome To Detroit he states some of the equipment he has used, both 1200 triton and stuff. He played things like bass-guitar on some D'Angelo and Badu stuff, and he shure played both drums and a lot of other stuff on many different things too.

I think one of the largest hypes is the latest 303-hype over at the X0X-forums. They all say that he made Donuts at his bed in the hospital. Some of the joints on that album are definitely 303 with some poor portable, but I think he made some of that stuff outside his bed too, and those beats are showing up on different beat-tapes and mix-tapes and it seems like he flirted with that style for a while and not only at the hospital.

But I'm also getting tired of all the fake Dilla-Hype (people loving him who has not heard much of his work) even if I love Dilla's work and still bang his stuff all the time (not his latest work too much tho').
By 7 1 4 Beats Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm
deck daddy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:if those kids read this they'll gonna make the sp1200 vanish from eBay and what not,i'm pretty sure. :wink:

Too many kids are already buying all the SP1200s off eBay and end up not using them because they can't load they're downloaded PeterockDrums.zip drums straight into it. and they don't have patience. Thinking it will all come to them without any labour. Spoiled brats. Should take a banana to their stupid a$$.

I wanted the 3000 before I knew what Jay Dee was using. I thought his stuff seemed so next-level that I thought he used more "advanced" gear.

He used a lot of equipment, and a lot of it was live stuff. On Welcome To Detroit he states some of the equipment he has used, both 1200 triton and stuff. He played things like bass-guitar on some D'Angelo and Badu stuff, and he shure played both drums and a lot of other stuff on many different things too.

I think one of the largest hypes is the latest 303-hype over at the X0X-forums. They all say that he made Donuts at his bed in the hospital. Some of the joints on that album are definitely 303 with some poor portable, but I think he made some of that stuff outside his bed too, and those beats are showing up on different beat-tapes and mix-tapes and it seems like he flirted with that style for a while and not only at the hospital.

But I'm also getting tired of all the fake Dilla-Hype (people loving him who has not heard much of his work) even if I love Dilla's work and still bang his stuff all the time (not his latest work too much tho').

Yes Madlib gave Dilla one of his 303's and Wolf or Egon gave him a portable TT and then he just had his Macbook with Pro Tools & Garage Band & Korg. But he had been working on Donuts for awhile cause he already had all those beats done when he was in the hospital he didn't create anything in the hospital it was all editing.
Last edited by 7 1 4 Beats on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kebzer Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:22 am
Dilla was the only producer that made people love his records without even knowing he was behind them. That's pure magic. People are still driven by his beats solely and don't give a **** about names. Who else actually achieved this?

The only good thing that came out of his death was that a huge part of listeners and beatmakers had finally realized who was creating all that music.

By the way, it's completely retarded a producer to be called "overrated" when he has been acknowledged by EVERY SINGLE beatmaker in this game. Nobody said he was the best. But he has a very good chance to become the most influential ever. If not already.
By Dr. Lecter Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:09 am
For f*ck's sake people..Can't believe actually that if someone's opinion's different from the majority,could be that bad.For once again,i focused on today's kiddies that say Dilla this and Dilla that.To me his music don't mean sh!t but that don't mean sh!t either.I have nothing against the man,for God's sake.RIP
By kebzer Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 am
Take it easy, nobody said that we should burn anybody dissin Jay Dee. All we're saying is that there is a reason behind all this fuzz for the guy. And yes, I tottaly agree with you, kiddos are all about Donuts and don't know shit about the rest of the man's work. I enjoyed Donuts but I loved the guy for his work under the Ummah alias not the later, Madlib wise shit.

However, you can't just say that you don't like his beats without at least acknowledging his craft. I mean, the Neptunes are pop garbage but yeah, we must all admit that Pharell is doing at least something different from the rest of these pop cats. The same goes for Dilla. All we all say is that this guy did something for the next level. And yes, staying on topic, I haven't heard anything better on the 3000 except him.
By fasttrackpimp Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 pm
To split the dilla talk up for a minute.. :lol: Don't know who has number one, but if you check out forat a handful have been painted up. Quik had an le painted and so did probably 10 others. Kind of a shame imo,
By KkonEl Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 am
I always wondered does Forat do paintnobs for LEs
I mean like if your LE needs a new paintjob does he have the pattern for the music notes and shit on it