Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Bymember_5949kfk50e0d3 Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:03 pm
about the scsi
Roger Linn wrote:NOTE: This Product has been discontinued by Marion Systems and is no longer available.
By jibber Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 am
So what's the situation with the memory expansion?

I've tried all the links in this thread and they are all dead or the companies don't sell the expansion boards anymore. I've emailed them all, discontinued everywhere... i've emailed forat as well but didn't get a response so far (few days ago).

I've also searched for a few hours on google but couldn't find anything... :roll:

Is there still some place that is selling these expansion boards? Any help appreciated! :)
By Clint Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm
DIY memory expansion hack...

http://blog.retrosynth.com/archives/200 ... rself.html

The MPC60 memory expansions are hard to find but they come up on the bay from time to time.

MPCHunter will keep you informed.

http://www.mpchunter.com/mpc-60/memory- ... -mpc-60-2/

This place may still have some for sale, maybe...

http://www.sequentix.com/exm003.htm
By jibber Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm
I've tried sequentix, they are out of stock as well.

I don't want to do the memory hack since i've read it doesn't really work (all users who have it seem to report problems when sampling more than 15 seconds (distortion in samples)).

I guess i'll just be on the lookout for second hand expansions sold on ebay, etc.

Thanks anyway! 8)
By jibber Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 pm
I've waited three years for a good 60 to pop up for sale in my country... but i see your point. I already found the prices i've seen for the expansion a little steep... already spent the 195 bucks for the 3.10 OS... so to buy another 60 for the expansion is simply more than i want to spend on it (even tho it wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd one for parts, in case something breaks on the one i have now).

It's not the end of the world if i have to be patient until something comes along... 13 seconds is a good limitation that inspires me to make beats on that machine... 26 wouldn't hurt tho... :? :D

EDIT: Got an email back from forat, they have one original memory expansion left... for 225$ (ouch!)... a bit steep, but hey, i'm gonna take it before it's 500$! :!:
Last edited by jibber on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mr_debauch Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:32 pm
jibber wrote:I've waited three years for a good 60 to pop up for sale in my country... but i see your point. I already found the prices i've seen for the expansion a little steep... already spent the 195 bucks for the 3.10 OS... so to buy another 60 for the expansion is simply more than i want to spend on it (even tho it wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd one for parts, in case something breaks on the one i have now).

It's not the end of the world if i have to be patient until something comes along... 13 seconds is a good limitation that inspires me to make beats on that machine... 26 wouldn't hurt tho... :? :D

well the thing is, without the expansion you know everything will fit on the one disk, right? when you have the expansion the nice thing is lets say you go over your 790 or so KB... you can then go through the samples and choose where you'll cut corners. often hihats have a millisecond that can get trimmed.. kicks too... you know what I mean... and let's say the tail of the sample seems a bit too short... you adjust the decay of the sample and use some reverb on the sample via the send/return. if that doesn't work then make it a two disk project.
By milando Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:39 pm
MPC-60 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE REPLACEMENT SOLUTION

100% compatible USB floppy emulator, works without scsi adapter.

USB memory stick is divided to 100 (720kb) floppy disks (folders),
(The rest of the free space on flash stick is "PC" usable)

drive works faster then original floppy disk drive;

All files are Windows XP compatilbe for transfer and editing between PC & MPC.

Model: floppy to usb converter SFRM72-GU FU

Price: 48 USD

Shenzhen Bright Century Industrial Co. Ltd.

http://sz-huiteng.en.alibaba.com/
Last edited by milando on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Acid Mitch Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 am
milando wrote:
Model: floppy to usb converter SFR1M72-GU FU

The only hit on Google I get for that part number is your post.

milando wrote:
Shenzhen Bright Century Industrial Co. Ltd.

I clicked your link and used the search but they do not have the part number you reference.
By SEED78 Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:06 pm
ok seeings as noone replied, so thought I'd kick this off:

Compatible drives for MPC 3000

SCM/Intermart/Microtech PCD-25 - def works

PCD-15 with right firmware, seems 8ish out of 10 times it doesn't work.

some Adtron drives SCSI for samplers was selling, anyone got any models nos?

a drive only refered to as CF-CARD reader, anyhone got more info on model no?

does ACARD??