Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

By MalcOverflow Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:55 am
Yo...So true. That why I dont bother posting most of the time cuz most of these fools are idiots. Just ask any of em have they ever rocked a show or put out any music....anything.

By Deta!L Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm
what's funny is that Elmac is rocking an MPC 1000 now :shock:

By engineer Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:41 am
lol@ 20 pages of bit rate bitching

By DJBlueDrink Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 pm
Hey, It's been awhile since I posted here so I figga I'd add my .02. As a recording engineer and the proud owner of a MK1 60 and an Emax who has also used PC software in the past and played with a 2000, I have come to the conclusion that the choice of gear you use is important for getting the specific sound that YOU THE PRODUCER are looking for. The reason I own the gear I do is because it offered the sound I was looking for. I had tried to imitate it in FL when I first started out and it just wasn't the same so I got what I needed to get the results I was lookin for and am very pleased because of it. Another thing is that you can make good music on anything just as you can still make shyte on an SP, 60, Emax etc. What makes the music good is well chosen samples, a good groove, and good melody and some on some occasions a lack of melody works real well too. Next, a decent final mix helps alot as it is hard to listen to an exceptionally poor recording and still pay full attention to its musical content.

As far as Pete Rock usin the 2KXL, maybe thats the sound he's now lookin for, or he could just possibly enjoy it better in terms of workflow. Another producer I chill with uses an O.G. 2K and I must say, compared to the 60 and the Emax, the sample chopping with the option to lay the chops across the 16 pads makes it a breeze to work with. Couple that with the XLs timestretch feature and PR is prob havin a blast. He may have just found the SP to be too much of a headache to continue workin with after tryin out the XL with all those features. In his mind they may have outweighed the importance of the grimy gritty sound. Or as I said before he might have just grown tired of that sound, which doesn't make him a sellout as artists are constantly reinventing themselves.

To wrap this up what gear you use is up to you and solely depends on the sound and feel of the music you are trying to make. If your music is shyte, no sampler is gonna save it. I happen to like the sound of the 2000, it has its own character, IMO much more so than the modern equipment, it's just not the sound I'm looking for in my music. Bottom line: use what works for you, and artists change all the time, some for the better and others for the worse. Wow that was long winded.

PEACE

By earwolf Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:31 pm
if only there was a company that understood why items like the 60 and the sp are still so revered, and could keep that overengineered approach whilst bring the feature-sets that are so convenient in 2008. 'old school mode' on the mpc5000, the 12-bit machinedrum UW and a few other developments are interesting, but my money is on the linndrum II. i think that one has the most chance of satisfying both the purists and workflow reductionists, and if it turns out to be the sampling drum machine equivalent of the little phatty, could be a huge success

By distortedtekno Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:35 pm
Deta!L wrote:what's funny is that Elmac is rocking an MPC 1000 now :shock:

Yeah my man Elmac is rockin' the MPC1000 with the JJ OS (which can reduce the bit depth and sample rate). But he'll never sell his MPC60. He still uses that and his Emax.

By kneebone77 Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm
DJBlueDrink wrote:Hey, It's been awhile since I posted here so I figga I'd add my .02. As a recording engineer and the proud owner of a MK1 60 and an Emax who has also used PC software in the past and played with a 2000, I have come to the conclusion that the choice of gear you use is important for getting the specific sound that YOU THE PRODUCER are looking for. The reason I own the gear I do is because it offered the sound I was looking for. I had tried to imitate it in FL when I first started out and it just wasn't the same so I got what I needed to get the results I was lookin for and am very pleased because of it. Another thing is that you can make good music on anything just as you can still make shyte on an SP, 60, Emax etc. What makes the music good is well chosen samples, a good groove, and good melody and some on some occasions a lack of melody works real well too. Next, a decent final mix helps alot as it is hard to listen to an exceptionally poor recording and still pay full attention to its musical content.

As far as Pete Rock usin the 2KXL, maybe thats the sound he's now lookin for, or he could just possibly enjoy it better in terms of workflow. Another producer I chill with uses an O.G. 2K and I must say, compared to the 60 and the Emax, the sample chopping with the option to lay the chops across the 16 pads makes it a breeze to work with. Couple that with the XLs timestretch feature and PR is prob havin a blast. He may have just found the SP to be too much of a headache to continue workin with after tryin out the XL with all those features. In his mind they may have outweighed the importance of the grimy gritty sound. Or as I said before he might have just grown tired of that sound, which doesn't make him a sellout as artists are constantly reinventing themselves.

To wrap this up what gear you use is up to you and solely depends on the sound and feel of the music you are trying to make. If your music is shyte, no sampler is gonna save it. I happen to like the sound of the 2000, it has its own character, IMO much more so than the modern equipment, it's just not the sound I'm looking for in my music. Bottom line: use what works for you, and artists change all the time, some for the better and others for the worse. Wow that was long winded.

PEACE

Co-Sign...
And Someone made the point in another thread that "Samplers for us are like guitars, giving us different "tones". If guitarist can have more than on axe why should we be restricted to one sampler?"

By 950skweezyotitties Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 am
Deta!L wrote:what's funny is that Elmac is rocking an MPC 1000 now :shock:

sellout
By Delvinj9116 Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:31 pm
As technology pushes forth so will sampling technology. It does not take a genius to know Pete Rock is a GOAT on the Sp1200 or any machine he touches!! To say the least, there as soon many ways to make drums and sounds get filthy that it not even warrants a discussion. I have personally been using an MPC since '96 (2000xl since 2015 but she's packed up awaiting an MCD drive upgrade since the zip has crashed) and the Pocketband DAW app since 2010. In fact the latter has been my play tool of choice recently due to portability. At the end of the day, the sound of the beat is beheld to the maker. Each beat is different, each sound is different so is there really a style? I think not. To sum it up there are benefits to technological advancements in softwsre, but nothing beats good old making it all from scratch on hardware with no effects or gimmicks.
By Delvinj9116 Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 pm
....and to call Pete or anyone a sell-out due to equipment or technological advancements is mute. At the end of the day, opinions will be. What matters ultimately is the sound and feel of the beat.
By Fanu Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm
Haha, what a thread. I know it's old, and I didn't read it, but I can imagine the OP's point.
Sure enough the amount of bits used in your music does make a difference in terms of your enjoyment and respect towards the music…ha.

Re:

By Living Bate Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:57 pm
FLUENT wrote:my **** is grimier then a crackheads a$$hole

ha! fair play....i had a good fuggin chuckle at that
By richie Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
While I would not discount Pete Rock as a sellout for deciding to use different equipment (pretty retarded assertion to make) - There is a noticeable difference between his SP1200 beats, XL and 3K beats for sure. Personally, I think I enjoy the way his beats knocked around his Soul Survivor period than more recent but I'm not going to act like his new sh*t is wack by any standpoint.

A fair comparison could be made about how Alchemist' ASR-10 beats sounded in comparison to his MPC 2500 beats which ended up creating 2 completely different sounding Alchemist styles of production.

At the end of the day, no one here on this forum offering their downplayed critique can hold a candle to Pete Rocks contributions and catalog.
By Lampdog Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm
I think my ASR10 beats back in the day were more intricately woven than beats on other machines. Something about the ASR10 made me feel that way. I didn't have that feeling on Triton Extreme and you could hear it in my beats.
By cunoSvaa Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm
well it seems PR is back on his SP1200 from his IG posts... but he was a sell out for sure and non e of his stuff was really that fire compared to his old stuff and he hasnt really made any butter since he got rid of his SP and been using a XL...

Yo and why wasnt he in the SP 1200 book or at the little sp1200 party or any of that seems like he has a problem with others or just thinks he doesnt need to look down from his sp1200 throne (which he is certainly able to do nobody rocks the SP like him)

thats what Id rather hear about... why PR gives no love to the SP community nowdays seems like some lowkey beef haha and if you know him or have done any biz with him you know he can be a bit... umm particular or come off as a dick. (or maybe he just said it in the INI album... on Square One)