Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jre Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:59 am
ay if there is anyone out there that can help hit me up pronto...I was saving a beat and all of a sudden my screen blanked which has happend before when I blew a fuse...so I took it apart and no fuse's looked burnt but I replaced them all anyways...powered up and everything runs but all my leds are on- banks abcd play record overdub transpose wait for key ect.. Im goin off tha walls without my mpc so if anybody has seen this before please help...its an mpc 3000 le with an internal zip and 32 megs of ram if that helps...usually runs like a champ

J

By elmacaco Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:31 pm
Definitly power related. You're in CA, are you close to Pasadena or LA? VSt or Forat can hook you up quick. VST would be my recomentation.

It could be major, but probably something fairly simple.

You could to to open it (unplugged!!!) and reconnect the power connectors, reseating all of them might clean a dirty contact that could be the problem. but usually it would take a resoldering or the pin connectors to fix that if that's the problem.

Props for replacing the fuses before askin.

By jre Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:54 pm
Bruce @ forat flipped it with the zip drive and some other stuff so Id call him but he's out of town...ima open it up again tomorrow and double check all the wiring....I cant live without her! this is driving me crazy fam...If anyone ran into this pleeze help pronto :(

By Krux Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:51 pm
banks abcd play record overdub transpose wait for key ect..

What do you mean?

I think it could be zip drive related (connection/cable). If the 3000 is anything like the 2000; without power getting to the internal zip drive nothing will happen upon boot up. All the lights light up and stay lit and keys are unresponsive because the OS doesn't load. I'm not sure if you got the same symptoms, but it might be worth just checking that the zip is connected properly.

By c.toon Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:53 pm
The state of my zip drive (external OR internal) never changed anything about the MPCs behaviour here...
I highly doubt it has anything todo with that. I'm no expert but PSU sounds like where the problem is at.
Just wait for MPC3k to see this, I bet he can help you out

.toon

By Krux Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:28 pm
c.toon wrote:The state of my zip drive (external OR internal) never changed anything about the MPCs behaviour here...
I highly doubt it has anything todo with that. I'm no expert but PSU sounds like where the problem is at.
Just wait for MPC3k to see this, I bet he can help you out

.toon

what i said above is what happened to me... i installed the extra ram when i got my XL and must've knocked the zip somehow. anyway i took it to the place i bought it and the problem was just what i described above ...so it wouldn't surprise me. thats just my experience though, i can't help any more than that.

By jre Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:38 pm
fcuk....took it apart...thought everthing was good because it started without all the led lighting up but now all the buttons are inactive, none of them respond

By elmacaco Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:11 pm
sounds like you got a few ribbon cables loose.

By jre Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:49 am
Is that something that would be easy to detect just looking at it

By Krux Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:54 am
Should be. Just do what I said and take a look. Maybe unplug and reconnect them if you can't see the problem.

By binger0 Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:26 am
that might be an bios issue, my deeps did that when the bios got deleted. it might be corrupt. i think via scsi vst or forat can repair it easily.
By mpc3000le Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 am
jre wrote:ay if there is anyone out there that can help hit me up pronto...I was saving a beat and all of a sudden my screen blanked which has happend before when I blew a fuse...so I took it apart and no fuse's looked burnt but I replaced them all anyways...powered up and everything runs but all my leds are on- banks abcd play record overdub transpose wait for key ect.. Im goin off tha walls without my mpc so if anybody has seen this before please help...its an mpc 3000 le with an internal zip and 32 megs of ram if that helps...usually runs like a champ

J

Work through this:

Top five common reasons for an MPC3000 locking up:

5: The incoming mains voltage is excessive, insufficient or noisy.

4: The WAVE RAM SIMMS and/or EXM board have dirty connection pins
and/or are not seated correctly in their sockets.

3: The WAVE RAM SIMMS and/or EXM board is faulty.

2: The ribbon connectors between main and front panel circuit boards
are not correctly seated.

1: The MPC3000 power supply board needs repair.

Solutions to above:

5: Ensure that you have connected your MPC3000 to the correct mains
supply.

Confirm the intended mains supply designation of your MPC3000 by
looking for a small sticker near the mains inlet socket.

[A] = AAL ( USA ) – 110 volts.
[B] = BEAB ( ENGLAND ) – 220-230 volts.
[C] = CSA ( CANADA ) – 110 volts.
[E] = CEE ( EUROPE ) – 220-230 volts.
[J] = JPN ( JAPAN ) – 100 volts.
[S] = SAA ( AUSTRALIA ) – 240-250 volts.
[U] = U/T ( UNIVERSAL WORLD AREA ) 100/110/220-230/240-250 volts.
[V] = VDE ( GERMANY ) – 220-230 volts.
[Y] = CUSTOM – per custom supply documentation.

Then confirm that the mains supply from your distribution outlet
matches what your MPC3000 is expecting.

Consider using devices from companies like FURMANSOUND to ensure that
your mains supply voltages remain clean and stable regardless of any
incoming line variations.

4: Remove the SIMMS and/or EXM board, clean the pins and re-insert
same into your MPC3000.

Note. If your machine is maxed out to 32 megabytes of RAM using SIMMS
then remove the EXM from your MPC3000.

3: Remove and replace the SIMMS and/or EXM board.

2: Remove and re-seat the ribbon connector.

1: Have a service technician repair the power supply board.

Any other reasons for lock up are not the common ones and hence are not listed.

Rohan.

By jre Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:57 am
it was the ribbon connnector....thanks to everyone who helped! man I feel whole again...its definatly confirmed, ima a mpc junkie...got a find a mpc anoynomous...or maybe thats what this place is...haaaha

one

By Krux Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:50 am
jre wrote:it was the ribbon connnector....thanks to everyone who helped! man I feel whole again...its definatly confirmed, ima a mpc junkie...got a find a mpc anoynomous...or maybe thats what this place is...haaaha

one

good news. which cable was it? just outta curiousity

By mpc3000le Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:23 pm
jre wrote:it was the ribbon connnector....thanks to everyone who helped! man I feel whole again...its definatly confirmed, ima a mpc junkie...got a find a mpc anoynomous...or maybe thats what this place is...haaaha

one

So ... point [2] it was.

Good to hear/read that you're up and running again.

Glad to have been part of the assistance crew.

Peace,

Rohan.