Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
ByPersyado Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:16 am
Hello,

I just got a used mpc 60 mkii v3.10 and the i tried connecting it to my castlewood orb drive which is a standard scsi disk drive with a 2.2gb capacity.

When i connect the scsi cable and turn on first the drive then the mpc, the mpc os freezes while trying to search the hard disk.

My question is do i need to purchase a scsi terminator or is the scsi port damaged on my mpc i just purchased?

Any other suggestions would be helpful as well.

Thank you for your time.

-Perry

By mpc3000 Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:38 pm
The Orb may not be compatible with the MPC.

I believe there was an issue with some of the Orb drive's firmware not exactly meeting the SCSI specs. I have had very few reports of Orb drives working with samplers.

Regardless, 2.2 gig is a bit large for use with the MPC60, which, even if worked would only have 780meg of used space (26 drive letters times 30 Meg max partition size = 780). This may be an issue in itself. One usually uses larger drives than what samplers can handle (I use a 1 gig in the 3000), but there may be a point in which it may get TOO large.

By elmacaco Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:50 pm
can you use multiple partitions?

By mpc3000 Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:52 am
"multiple partitions"

Well, 26 drive letters is Akai own `partition` format. As far as using a PC style partition format, no. Not compatible.

By elmacaco Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:25 am
thanks Mike.