Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By DizGod Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:47 am
does the mpc's that Roger linn worked on have some kind of groove template that the other mpc's like 4000 don't? please some one lemme know wassup.

By elmacaco Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:20 am
No, but the processor (20MHz on the 60 IIRC) gives it a slightly different resolution that probably barely perceptable.

By mpc3000 Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:38 am
I believe the MPC60's processor was something like 8 mHz. This is fine since the midi spec was actually designed to operate reliably with the fastest computer commonly available at that time: 8Mhz.

The MPC3000 and MPC2000's use a 16Mhz processor.

By elmacaco Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:21 am
8 it is!
Bymachinefunk Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:56 pm
The 4000 has a much higher resolution sequencer (more palces to put midi notes/drums). This takes away some of the chunk of the ealier versions including the 2000xl. Also units like the 60 use 12-bit processing which added even more chunk. From the 3000 up they are all 16-bit, not sure aboutthe 4000 though.

So in a way yes there is some kind of "groove template" on earlier versions than the 2000xl but only in the sense that they have lower resolution sequencers, which can be a benefit to some.

Things to look for when picking a drum machine:
Sequencer resolution
Sound engine
Depth of bit processing 8, 12, 16...
Bymachinefunk Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:58 pm
The 4000 has a much higher resolution sequencer (more palces to put midi notes/drums). This takes away some of the chunk of the ealier versions including the 2000xl. Also units like the 60 use 12-bit processing which added even more chunk. From the 3000 up they are all 16-bit, not sure aboutthe 4000 though.

So in a way yes there is some kind of "groove template" on earlier versions than the 2000xl but only in the sense that they have lower resolution sequencers, which can be a benefit to some.

Things to look for when picking a drum machine:
Sequencer resolution
Sound engine
Depth of bit processing 8, 12, 16...

By UNSYSTEMATIC Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:52 am
Well, I own a 60 and used the swing function to this percent and that. I would beat out the pads sometimes, but mainly use step edit. Why? Because, if I had a beat in my head, then I coult put it in the step edit mode, no problem. It took me a while to learn the resolution of each step. I was trapped in the desert for fourth months with a roland dr-5 drum machine that had a different resolution and funtion to it. That's where I learned setting a beat off one res. or two will make it sound mor human. That and chaning the pitch of cymbals, snares, and kicks. Anyways, you'll soon figure out that push'in backa snare hit by 1 res. or have a kick hit 2 resolutions earlier and changing it up is the same. I'm not trying to confuse you. If you are confused, let me know and I will try and explain more.

By mpc3000 Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:31 am
Someone please tell me what `chunk` is.

Sorry I am not up on the lingo. I still use `groovy` from the 70's.