Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
ByOneBluesun Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:16 am
I've hooked up my Numark turntable to my Mackie mixer in track 9/10 bal/unbal Left and right. My Numark turntable has an RCA jack, which I connected to female RCA wires and the end are quarter inch jacks that go into track 9/10. The main outs of my DFX mixer go into my phono input on my receiver. I also have two separate quarter inch cables coming out of my stereo outs left and right on the back of my MPC 60 into track 7/8 bal/unbal line inputs on my mixer so I can hear the MPC 60 sounds. I also have a quarter inch cable coming from my auxillary send mono on my mixer into record in on my MPC.

Whenever I sample anything from my turntable into my MPC I have to turn the volumes up on everything to get a decent volume on my sample on the MPC. Plus I have to set my recording volume on my MPC 60 at like 95 so the sample won't be soft. I think the sample quality right now seems shitty. Can anyone tell me whether or not based on my setup description above whether I'm doing something wrong to get this poor quality or is this just normal when recording samples on the MPC 60? (The faders on my mixer on the normal settings U).
By Joel Walsh Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:52 pm
use a Phono Preamp with RIAA EQ!
Although the RCA on your turntable fit into normal -10 unbal. gear they need a special ( DJ mixer, home stereo ) Phono Preamp with RIAA EQ.
Get one and your levels / sound quality will be fine.

Jello
ByOneBluesun Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:19 pm
Thanx, I'm going to look into that preamp and hook that up.

peace
ByOneBluesun Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:27 am
Jello is it possible to use the mic line on my mixer which has a built in preamp to plug in my turntable? I would have to get an XLR adapter to hook up to the quarter inch cables that I hooked up to the RCA wires on my turntable. Is it possible to find XLR adapters to plug into my mic line on my mixer? I mean I'm thinking I would get the same quality this way as a Phono preamp.

Dave