Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

Which do you prefer?

44%
N/A
44%
11%
By djames Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:42 pm
I have a MPC 60 with the original OS. I like it alot, it really gives you a vintage sound. My question is which is better in your opinion the 60/60II (since they are the same with the exception of the case and headphone jack) or the 2000 or 2000XL. I have read the comparison charts so no need for quoting those. Just give me your opinion. The only reason I ask is because I was thinking about trading my 60 + $250 for a 2000XL. Also let me know what you think of that deal.

Thanks in advance,
-Peace

By elmacaco Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:38 am
I find the 60 more inspiring to me than the 2000xl. I don't know if it is the simplicity of it or what. I do like the xl options, and I am kinda bummed that the 1000 doesn't seem to have timestreach or keymapping. But I just don't think I'd want to trade my 60 for anything. I can see how others could. I would say get the linn upgrade with scsi and keep your 60 and try it like that for a while. Then your 60 will be worth more too.
By djames Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:31 am
thanks elmacaco, I feel you. The only reason I would even think about trading is for the graphical sampling view and ability to read .wav files. That was very good advice though. I already have the scsi card so if I get the 3.10 OS I'll be good to go. Plus like you stated it will be worth more. It is definitely a monster on the size tip too, but I like it!

By butcher Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:59 am
i would take the 2000xl james. thats a excellent deal. peace
By djames Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:27 am
What makes the 2000 XL such a better deal in your opinion? Besides what was mentioned earlier. I feel where you are coming from too, but I just want to weigh every pro and con, ya dig.

By elmacaco Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:57 am
You have the Marion SCSI card but not installed? or does it work without th OS?

If you do the trade, you want to sell that scsi?

Good luck in your decision.

By butcher Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:07 am
yo, the fact that the you can get an mpc60 for under $600 and the mpc2000xl is still about 1200. so if you add 250 to 600 u got a good deal for a 2000xl. so unless you have some sentimental value to your 60 , you would take the deal for the fact that your paying only 850 tops for a 2000xl

By Swissmaster Cheese Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:42 am
I'd keep the 60 and just get the 3.10 since thats what you're used to....all the things on the 2kxl can be done on a pc with a lil' midi action...i'd use the 60 for drums and short sanples and for midi sequencing......good luck with your decision.....
By djames Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:32 am
Elmacaco, yes I have the scsi card, the person that owned it before me had this and a 60II, I am thinking he had planned to install the scsi card and the 3.10 OS in this one, but he decided to put it into the other and just left the scsi card in this one. It never made sense, but since the card alone is worth $300 I did not question him.

Butcher, I feel what you're saying too,but I have seen MPC 60s go for more than $850 on EBAY in good condition and mine is in good condition.
I am really just wondering if going from a 60 to a 2000XL will step up my game or keep me the same. For example, will my samples sound any better or anything like that?

Oh Yeah , thanks Swiss Master Cheese
Last edited by djames on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By elmacaco Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:49 pm
you have a mk I ? keep it, those go for more. and will keep their value more since they are rare and classic compared to the xl.

By CrOwNPRinCe60 Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:11 pm
i actually have an xl and a 60. If I had to let one go, ...............I'm sure the new owner of the XL will have fun with it. I love working with the 60.As far as the 2000xl goes, I love it too, but, there is nothing on the xl that is "so original" that it couldn't be done by something else. The same cannot be said about the 60! From the sound, to the sequencing, to the look. I think the fact that it's that big, and can only do a limited number of things, compared to the other MPCs is cool! It adds character! I would stay with the 60 and get the upgrades.
By djames Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:37 pm
What is the benefit of having both? How do they complement each other? I may just keep the 60 and buy a 2000 XL off of Ebay.

By CrOwNPRinCe60 Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:48 am
An MPC user knows that there's nothing like working on an MPC! I actually had a 2000XL first. Then, the more I learned and read about 60s from forums like this one and other places, the more I wanted to try one out. Finally when I did, I just really liked it. It was pretty much the situation I was in, where I didn't really need to sacrifice one for the other. So, i didn't. The 60 is the center peice of my set up, it's the heart, and I love the 12-bit sampling. The XL is dope too, and I like the fact that I can take it away from my setup and go wherever, plug in the headphones, and work on something, bring it back, and finish it. It pretty much boils down to the fact that I wanted MPC style sequencing, 12-bit sampling and a strong center-peice that was more relaible than a computer, so I'm really happy with the 60. Also, I like the fact that I can leave and work on stuff, in pretty much the same format.Conveniance man, ( I hope I spelled that right!)
By djames Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:28 pm
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I will pimp it out ( get the upgrades ) before I do anyting else. It is a classic and sounds great so I agree with the majority of you in sayng I should keep it. Who knows one day I may even save enough money to get it painted by Forat ;)