Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

By mpcmanmpc Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:30 am
the dac pot wont effect volume. not sure what the solution is for uneven levels.
By dejayos Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm
hey guys i am having this problem, except the click/pop sounds are at the beginning of the sample in the attack portion
its usually on hi hats i notice but also on rim shot and other sounds sometimes
the click/pop is different each time the sample is triggered
what's weird is that i don't hear the problem when playing back a freshly sampled sound, just once it's assigned to a pad and played. if i change the attack of the sound in the envelope settings it minimizes the click/pop quite a bit but it's still there vaguely in background (and i dont want to have to change the attack envelope on my hi hats always heh)
here is an audio example: if you listen you hear it and if you look in a DAW, each hit is obviously different... this is with FULL LEVEL on so the sample should be exact same
do you think it's something to do with dac pot? this is a forat serviced 60 in great condition, have been dealing with this on and off for a while now!

rim shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohwjpy39v8m2n ... e.aif?dl=0

hi hat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/du20g1qs966la ... 0.aif?dl=0
By Lampdog Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 am
I used WAVEPAD.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

Free for home use.

Incredible wave editor I've been using lately. Beats all other free ones I've used.

I picked a hhat hit from the first group. I noticed a VERY ugly down drop in the waveform so I erased that, zoomed in and added a super small fade at the front. Small enough so that you won't lose the SNAP at the front of your waveform.

I then noticed the **** up click you mentioned at the end. I zoomed in on that and erased that as well.
I highlighted a small portion of the tail, extended it maybe 5% and faded that out to perfect silence to make up for the cut out distance of the old click. Don't extend or compress more than 10-15% because it starts to sound unnatural. The longer your sample the more noticeable it will be.

I noticed a bunch of spikes, up and down all throughout your waveform, I zoomed all the way into each sample point used the hand tool and drew new ones that weren't so high/down farther from the rest, they are more even with the surrounding sample points now.

I normalized the sample. It's not clipping, but it's max volume to the loudest sample points, which are mostly around the same volumes.

I do this same thing in Sound Forge alot but don't have it installed right now. Still, I found the tools I was used to using and hooked it up, tell me what you think.

Here is the resulting snare.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncq88ewaj9jin ... d.wav?dl=0

By richie Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 am
How much ram is installed in your 60?
By dejayos Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 pm
had a thorough conversation with forat yesterday about this
if it's at the end of samples, most likely it's the adc trim
i optimized mine (there was a tiny bit of audible clicking at ends of samples but had to blast headphones to hear it) but this didnt solve the problem i describe above which is with the attack portion of the samples
turns out it was happening mainly with stereo samples, and the 60 was doing something weird with the sample start point automatically. still investigating exactly what the problem is, and if its happening also with mono samples. can report back once i get to the bottom of it
By richie Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 am
Again, How much ram is installed in your 60?
By Lampdog Thu May 17, 2018 3:37 am
Samples live inside of ram. You should probably get to richie's question.

IF, ram is going bad, then, well.
By richie Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 am
Lampdog, yeah you see what I'm leading to. If he has a 60 with 1.5 then I'd remove one of the cards and see if it still has the click.
By Lampdog Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 am
Yup, I understand it. There IS a point, just need a lil answer. Just a lil one.
By Fanu Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 pm
I sure as heck can't make this work.
I have a Gotek so can't load the test disk.
But let's say I sample a sinewave.
All mint if you play it through.
But if I let go of the pad till the end of the sample, it will click, or if I adjust its settings so that it'll play relatively short while I hold the pad, it will click.
Play the same sound so that it doesn't get to finish – it will click.

Just tried assigning a sound to individual out 1 and spent quite a bit of time rotating the VR2 pot, and it truly does nothing.
By Fanu Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:03 am
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4vIOhsljd0/

As the MPC 60 is infamous for crappy low-frequency sample playback and you end up getting clicky samples when you have low freq notes cut one another off, I wanted to try running the bassline thru my Moog Minitaur to filter out the clicks…and oh yes, it works, and I’m filtering the bassline clicks out.
How to do it?
Run the bassline out of an individual output into the Moog. The Moog isn’t input-monitoring the signal unless you can supply +5V to it, so you need to trigger it with midi to hear the notes.
Well, that’s easy. Basically, just duplicate the bassline track on the MPC and assign its midi notes to go into the Moog, and route the Moog’s output into the MPC and activate input monitoring (of course you could run it into a desk, too) to hear it.
A bit of a workaround, but hey, still dope – and not a cheap one! Gots to love the smooth Moog filter as well as saturation at any stage that you get from hot input levels in this chain.
Also just recently learned that the old MPC *can* output midi CC, so you could even automate the Moog filter.
Had a play with the echo out, too, and had some fun with an analog bucket brigade filter…works well!
Still lusting for that 3000, too!
By peterpiper Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 pm
@Fanu. Complicate but nice workaround :)
I just thought about the issue and wonder if the samplesource might have already a DC in it so even silence will not be on the zero line.
peace
By Lampdog Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 pm
peterpiper wrote:samplesource might have already a DC in it so even silence will not be on the zero line.
peace

I was thinking this too.

Had to adjust DC many times from sources in Sound Forge.

I miss SF, I want it back.
By Fanu Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am
peterpiper wrote:@Fanu. Complicate but nice workaround :)
I just thought about the issue and wonder if the samplesource might have already a DC in it so even silence will not be on the zero line.
peace

Dang. You're right. And that can be set, too (except I can't as that's only done with the test disk, and I only have a Gotek) :-|