Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Teletran1 Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Firework:

It's pretty simple and you already have all you're going to need.

My mod is a little more difficult since I was changing the the type of media I was going to save to. I wanted the internal card reader and still be able keep the SCSI port out of the back to access older beats on external zip/floppy drives. Since you're installing a zip it'll be half the hassle.

One thing you might want to do first is anchor the internal/external adapter to the support piece that is placed under where the pads will be when the MPC is closed. Mike Goins from mpc3000.com used a drill to screw the adapter on. I used heavy electrical tape and it works just fine; of course Mike's way is much more secure. Also: if you're using the same adapter that I used, make sure you bend the little corner of the metal so it won't touch the bottom of your data wheel as this will cause it to malfunction. I learned this later.

So, open up your MP:
- disconnect/unscrew your floppy drive.
- unscrew your SCSI port that sticks out of the back.
- connect the SCSI port to the gender changer.
- connect the gender changer to the internal/external adapter.
- connect your 50 pin ribbon cable to the internal/external adapter.
- connect the other end of the ribbon cable to your zip (which should already be in place.)
- and last is the power connection. I'm assuming you have the 5.25'' drive connection for the zip drive (which is the red, black, black, yellow connection in my pictures) so just take a look a few posts up from yours where I just explained that part. You can choose to solder these wires or the twist method. I used the twist method so in case that I need to remove the drive it'll just be easier on me.

There you go. Follow those instructions and you'll have yourself an internal zip. Let me know how it comes out.
By The Grublet Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 am
SO... whats the most available current model for the CF readers in the 3k? they are a 50 pin connection (scsi CF:?)
By b.read Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 am
JD would be able to give you more specifics, but the mcdiski uses a 50 pin connector...not sure about the others.
By daicehawk Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:04 pm
So AFAIU you cannot boot from a cardreader installed in place of a floppy drive and need a 3.50 chip (exclusively???) to be able to work without floppy drive?
I am talking 3.10 OS (perhaps ROM chip too?)
Any cheaper than 3.50 OS ROM chip boot alternatives?
And no PCDs in visible Internet???
By scsiforsamplers.com Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 pm
We sell a SCSI Card Reader drive called the CF-CARD drive that works with the Akai 3.10 operating system. It is not hot-swappable but if you can live without that, it works very well with the standard Akai operating systems. You can see it on our website and please feel free to contact me through our website if you have any questions. Please do not send me a PM through this website, contact me through the SCSIforSamplers.com email link.
By daicehawk Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 am
scsiforsamplers.com wrote:We sell a SCSI Card Reader drive called the CF-CARD drive that works with the Akai 3.10 operating system. It is not hot-swappable but if you can live without that, it works very well with the standard Akai operating systems. You can see it on our website and please feel free to contact me through our website if you have any questions. Please do not send me a PM through this website, contact me through the SCSIforSamplers.com email link.

I know the site and your products (lil bit expensive for a country where $1000\month is not a bad income), I am just curious if I can use only an external cardreader and have to boot from the floppy unless the valixi 3.50 ROM is installed.
By scsiforsamplers.com Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 am
daicehawk wrote:I know the site and your products (lil bit expensive for a country where $1000\month is not a bad income), I am just curious if I can use only an external cardreader and have to boot from the floppy unless the valixi 3.50 ROM is installed.

Yes, you can use an external CF-CARD drive (we have those in three models the Classic, the Elite and the Mini) and boot from the floppy.
By daicehawk Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 am
BTW I have windows 7 32 bit on my lenovo. Will it read MPC-formatted cards for SND/PGM swapping\backup (by using MPC Editor)? Any free software that enables reading\writing card under Win7?
EDIT:Oh, I saw in a neigbouring thread guys using Linux\Ubuntu to swap files...
By destruktiv Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm
Hello,
I have a problem I want do also the mod. I buy two 50 idc to 25 femal converter and a gender changer male.

I connect the scsi port -> gender changer -> converter -> scsi cable -> scsi zip: It doesn't run.

I connect the scsi port -> cable of my zip drive -> converter -> scsi cable -> scsi zip: It run

I connect the scsi port -> my old external scsi case -> converter -> gender changer -> converter -> scsi cable -> scsi zip: It run

Why it doesn't run, when I connect the SCSI Port directly with the gender changer and the converter.

I hope anyone can help me.

THX
By The Grublet Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:49 am
I had no problems modding mine.

added an additional 50 pin connector inline with an already assembled cable, making two plug in locations...

I kept the existing external scsi port in place and plugged one of the connectors into that plug... and ran the other end to the back of a 50 pin ZIP disk.... keeping all options open.

NExt task:

Building SCSI tower for cross-machine storage in one spot. (4 drive locations/scsi addresses) and 4 formats (xl, 3k, etc etc)

one plug to save space.

we-tod-did
:cry: