Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm
See how dude teases us with the SP1200. That setup is DARK!
By master-ceo Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 am
kejlabal wrote:Damn beautiful !!!

That sixty actually looks really good dressed in black. Mainly because it was done right with the lettering looking factory, plus the buttons are nice and white.

Nice!
Last edited by master-ceo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jandoe Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm
I'd like to share some pictures of my equipment:
External HXC floppy emulator for MPC60. When the new slim hxc wasn't available I asked my brother to build a case for me. That's what he created. This beauty is made of stainless steel and I think its bullet proof. Wood side panels and indirect glowing leds. 8)
S950 HXC. About a year ago I posted pictures of my s950 hxc. It has been upgraded with new a plexi glas panel and better buttons.
Yesterday I tried the newest firmware on the hxcs and everything works perfect. On the S950 I can even use HD floppy images and I think it loads faster now. Many thanks to Jeff & Lotharek!
By master-ceo Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:34 pm
crossings wrote:great work, jandoe... that's some cool sh!t right there.

Pimp tight for real! Loving that setup. :smoker:
By sadzik Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm
My new baby :)
3.10, max ram, scsi board, new backlight for 780$.
Btw. is it hard to change original pads to other ones?
By kejlabal Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 pm
It's simple as making a bad a$$ beat with this toy.
If you change the pad, maybe change the sensor no ?
By Clint Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 pm
kejlabal wrote:If you change the pad, maybe change the sensor no ?

I wouldn't mess with the pad sensors unless they are faulty, but if you replace or clean the pads there's no harm in giving the pad sensors a wipe clean (with suitable electronic cleaner) while you're in the machine. Changing the pads is probably the easiest mod you can do on the MPC60. You disconnect a ribbon cable, remove the screws holding the sensor plate assembly, and you then have access to the pads.

If you're cleaning grimey pads use an old toothbrush and warm soapy water to get the job done and make sure they are completely dry on both sides before refitting them. While you're at it, seriously think about cleaning the buttons and the whole top panel especially around the edges of pads and buttons too...

Whenever you bring a used MPC60 (or other gear) into your home, clean it up as soon as possible. Remove all DNA (fingerprints, sweat, hair, blood) of the previous owner, grime and dust to truly make that 60 yours, adding value to it. Sticking the machine in the lab and using it to make beats without this basic maintenance is plain lazy. If it looks clean when you get it, don't be satisfied until you clean it yourself.

sadzik wrote:Image
My new baby :)

That's a nice clean 60, worth every penny.
By peterpiper Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 pm
jandoe wrote:I'd like to share some pictures of my equipment:

DAMN! nice setup. A nice looking (and I guess also nice sounding) mixing console to the left, Technics on the right and a non-floppy-60-950-comination in the middle. And a "keep-fighting-reminder" on the wall. I really like it.

peace
By jandoe Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 pm
The mixing console is a Soundcraft Delta with 14 mono channels with british eqs (two semi-parametric mids), two sub-groups for feeding a drum buss compressor (see the overstayers on top of s950). You can get it cheap and I think it sounds quit good. The desk is modular so each channel can be remove separately. I'm going to do some modifications (re-capping etc...) to make it high-end :evil:
By jibber Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 pm
How do you like the overstayer compressor? I've been thinking about getting one of these for over a year now...
By jandoe Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 pm
I have no comparison (my first outboard gear) and I'm no expert but I can tell you that I looked like this :-D :shock: 8) when I used em for the first time. I think they fun to use and quite affordable.

I use the Stereo Compressor (FET) on the drum bus and it can get you some DIRTY drums (It has a dirt switch for adding harmonic distortion;)

The Stereo Dynamics Processor (VCA) is on my stereo bus and gives clean compression from subtle glue to drastic pumping. There is this mysterious behavior knob no one knows what it really does. Perfect for me as I don't know what I'm doing either :mrgreen:

I bought the Stereo Dynamics Processor in a bundle with the ID4 line driver. I have three use cases for the id4:
- Between the Phono preamp and the sampler to pre-saturated the samples
- On the master bus to saturate everything
- In front of the drum bus compressor to drive the comp harder. The Inserts on my console are unbalanced and the comp has balanced inputs. So I use the ID4 as a DI-Box so I can get a hotter signal into the comp.

Hope this helps!
By jibber Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:52 pm
Yes, this helps a lot, since i usually don't know what i'm doing either... :mrgreen:

My first experience with an outboard compressor was a dbx 266xl, i never got great results with that... would prefer something much simpler i think... I guess i'll just bite the bullet someday... Thanks man, and keep having fun with your 60! :smoker:
By fooddude Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm
Which one has more "color", the FET or VCA? I want something on my global/mix stereo bus to tie in all the tracks and glue the entire mix with a nice, maybe heavy, saturation and color. ...I would think the FET, since you say the VCA is "clean" (transparent?), no?