Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By inflict3 Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 pm
yea,, so my first try up on my 1000 was sounding all corny like some slim shaddy shit, so i threw the card in my 500, and im feeling a bit better about the beat.. lol, just dont wanna post anything too corny up on my soundcloud page..lol..hahahha
By thomrob Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 am
Thats a unique choice.

And I wouldn't have a problem if you had chose an upcoming artist just to showcase them.

Eminem got Dido noticed.

And Thank You was a better song than stan and deserved the exposure.

Also I really like the way that you've linked to a version of your target sample and also included the purchasing options.

Thats the way to do it IMO.

Good job and congrats on the win.
By peeping tom Tue May 22, 2012 2:07 am
shank carvin wrote:I know j people have weird hang ups about mp3s something about the apparant lack of quality :?

no hate to those that opposed it but im doubt there is any real difference especially with the official version

good luck with it mr north

listen to a record and then a mp3.

Tell me what sounds nicer, honestly. The way music on vinyl is mixed is DIFFERENT to how they mix normal tracks for CD. Go learn about it.

i like to use wax becos i like how it SOUNDS

mp3's are like cold steel compared to warm wood
By inflict3 Tue May 22, 2012 2:20 am
peeping tom wrote:
shank carvin wrote:I know j people have weird hang ups about mp3s something about the apparant lack of quality :?

no hate to those that opposed it but im doubt there is any real difference especially with the official version

good luck with it mr north

listen to a record and then a mp3.

Tell me what sounds nicer, honestly. The way music on vinyl is mixed is DIFFERENT to how they mix normal tracks for CD. Go learn about it.

i like to use wax becos i like how it SOUNDS

mp3's are like cold steel compared to warm wood

lol, i take my mp3s that i sample filter and eq em, then i add like a bit crusher, or something to make em sound dirty, sometimes, or should i say most of the time i throw some static, a hum, or crackling over that shit and no one even knows. lol, but u are right, mp3s are just more empty so its like u gotta try and polish the turd :) :)
By CHOPFYT Tue May 22, 2012 6:19 am
thomrob wrote:Thats a unique choice.

And I wouldn't have a problem if you had chose an upcoming artist just to showcase them.

Eminem got Dido noticed.

And Thank You was a better song than stan and deserved the exposure.

Also I really like the way that you've linked to a version of your target sample and also included the purchasing options.

Thats the way to do it IMO.

Good job and congrats on the win.

thanks dude appreciate the comments will you be taking part?

@peeping tom and inflict yeah sometimes you gotta work harder to get a 'warmer' sound. To be fair im there are alot of factors even if you were using vinyl the resulting audio would be dependent on the conversion, recording, stylus, wear of vinyl, software program or any combinatation of those factors all effect the quality of the source. Just cos somethings on vinyl doesnt automatically mean its the best, warmest version you can get, although I see your point I think theres so hipster snobbery surrounding the ''mp3's suck'' camp.
By peeping tom Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 am
no my snobbery comes from the mastering process involving vinyl and that of mp3.

They are completely different in approach, and the outcomes are different.

Thats pretty much end or my rant. I just find it funny that we on a mpc website, where most cats use vinyl, but ALL the samples for these battles have been mp3's.

Like all y'all lying about even having wax........
By CHOPFYT Tue May 22, 2012 6:56 am
I think its more a case of accessability and making it easy for people to join in. also I dont really sample much vinyl anymore cos the lack of shops and half decent material has depleted and tbh I like finding new music to mess with.

at risk of repearing myself all vinyl samples shared will have to be recorded through daw so its being converted in some form anyway wether it was from a tape, cd, vinyl.

as youve seen in this thread some people wont want to use a mp3 but will happily take a wav/aiff converted from mp3!? vinyl is just another branch of the same pretentious tree...its all bulls*it
By peeping tom Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 am
shank carvin wrote:I think its more a case of accessability and making it easy for people to join in. also I dont really sample much vinyl anymore cos the lack of shops and half decent material has depleted and tbh I like finding new music to mess with.

at risk of repearing myself all vinyl samples shared will have to be recorded through daw so its being converted in some form anyway wether it was from a tape, cd, vinyl.

as youve seen in this thread some people wont want to use a mp3 but will happily take a wav/aiff converted from mp3!? vinyl is just another branch of the same pretentious tree...its all bulls*it

seriously man go learn about mastering to vinyl and to cd, im not lying about their being different methods (or at least frequencies that are avoided on vinyl)

and i dont use a DAW when recording samples, i like to keep my chain clean - dj mixer straight to mpc is the cleanest - to go dj mixer, audio interface, daw, bounce back to mpc would be waste of time.

argument over, you seem like a good dude, my point has been shared, whether you understand it or not is up to you.

I think cats wig out over mp3 but not flac is cos a flac can be converted with no loss of quality, a mp3 is already a sacrifice of quality - its a converted lesser version of a wav :P

I think the argument for me is the sound.

Read this man it will open your eyes a bit to the mastering process of the two!

http://mastering-media.blogspot.com.au/ ... ounds.html

Great example of vinyl vs CD getting different results/.
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 am
Right, can we move on past the mp3 vs vinyl debate, it's not really the point of the battles. The point is, you are all given the same sound source and whoever makes the best beat with it wins.

Whoever starts the battle sets the rules - don't like the rules, don't enter - or enter, win and get the chance to set your own rules :wink:
By crossings Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 am
with all due respect though, whoever starts the battle should actually provide us with the song file though... rather than sending us on a scavenger hunt to find the song or forcing us to buy it... but that's just like my opinion, maaaan... :lol:

FLAC is loss-less though... so i'm glad someone eventually posted that here... but MP3s lose so much quality compared to vinyl ripped directly to WAV that i'm surprised that the topic would even be up for debate... i mean if all we have to work with is an MP3, i'll do it... but i'm not gonna pretend like it's all the same thing in the big picture. this is a new/current band though, so chances are it's not even available on vinyl... still CD to WAV is superior to an MP3 though. and if someone's gonna just convert an MP3 to WAV, i'd much rather they just post the MP3... no point in converting it back once it's already lost quality.

anyways, back to the original topic... the song has lots of open parts and therefore plenty of sampling potential... some dope sh!t should come out of this battle. :D
By CHOPFYT Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 am
ill check the link later. I appreciate your point I spose im just not that fussy with my sonic qualities.

regarding the flac comment someone in this thread didnt want the mp3 or would prefer a 'higher quality' version so someone else shared a flac version of the source but the only way to get the source was by obtaining the mp3 version so in that instance the flac version was converted from mp3 to flac and that appeased the participent yet added no more quality :?

one last point and im done...so if you only record through your mixer from vinyl and to your mpc do you think you carry the same quality when recording the final beat to daw? my point is the conversion always takes place its just a matter of when unless your record to ribbon/analog I dont see the point.

anyway this is slightly distracting from the battle so :wink: if you want to discuss this any further id suggest we take it OuTside :wink: :mrgreen:

the man in red has spoken fellas so yeah lets drop it and argue with your beat if you can handle it :twisted:
By crossings Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 am
i'm not sure where the FLAC file originally came from... but you can convert to FLAC directly from the original CD without losing any quality... and the album does exist on CD, so i'd HOPE that's where it came from... the online "FLAC crowd" is sooo picky [and scarce for that matter] that i highly doubt it would come from someone converting an MP3 to FLAC though... but again, i don't know where the file posted originally came from. from the original CD would seem the most logical though...

and now... back to the battle, muthafuggaaazzz... :lol:
By sally Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:The point is, you are all given the same sound source

in my opinion,
creating only with the sound source, would have much more merit.

MPC-Tutor wrote:Whoever starts the battle sets the rules - don't like the rules, don't enter - or enter, win and get the chance to set your own rules :wink:

I understand you, tutor, I said above, only was my bad idea :wink:
By inflict3 Tue May 22, 2012 3:30 pm
if i win, my sample is gonna be posted in the form of a youtube vid, i dont give a fu#k about quality this quality that, its gonna be the rule too, u have to sample from THIS, end of story, u see, i feel like im more hip hop then most, ill pull a sample outta my ass if i have to :lol:
By sally Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm
sally wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:The point is, you are all given the same sound source

in my opinion,
creating only with the sound source, would have much more merit

Yes ..
Absolutely, I would like to
know where are or what is
the BEAT (sound source), winner of the BB#6 in which I
participated. ( Mis maximos y mejores respetos para el participante ganador, PEACE ).

It is a question that I do.

Or 1 point) I dont listen the beat...
Or 2 point) it's a very good mastering/mixing, so....

I do not k-now.