Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 am
Grab your experiment pack here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnar5urn7oyqe ... micals.zip

Lab Requirements:

1- General Idea is to use both tunes, chop to death and rearrange so they both fit together.

2- You must use everything provided.

3- When you have made your beat then make a 2nd beat, a 3rd and a 4th beat, arrange these how you like, but the end result is to make it sound like a mix but 1 song, fade them in or out, use tape stop, out of no-where drops. Get really creative.

4- You can use use 1 outside sound, no more than that (Bonus for not using though)

5- Have FUN !!!!

Deadline FRIDAY 15th August 2014 UK TIME!!!

Post Beats Here:

https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forum ... at-battles

(and be patient we will clear the battle beats, and will delete non battle beats)
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:07 pm
DOPE SAMPLES!!!! I banged mine out in a 6 hour session.Early for a change :nod:

Last edited by pk1 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fix soundcloud post
By Kraki Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 pm
Its really been some time since my last entry, but here it is...

Is it really necessary to make the rules that complicated? I mean since we have only have five (working) days, 4 beats almost without outside sounds?! What do you guys think?

By pk1 Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 am
rules really aren't complicated. He is just trying to change it up a bit.

:worthy: very sick entry Kraken

here are a couple dittys i did real quick this afternoon. no daw mix just straight out the MPC.

By Kraki Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 am
I didn't mean the difficulty but the time you have to spend with 4 beats without outside samples. :-D

But its allright, I hope I find the time to take part more often than recently. Deadlines force me to get finished something at least :idea: Super nice entries so far!
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 pm
Kraki wrote:Its really been some time since my last entry, but here it is...

Is it really necessary to make the rules that complicated? I mean since we have only have five (working) days, 4 beats almost without outside sounds?! What do you guys think?

You ever done a live beat battle, you get minutes, not days to make a beat, and by complicated, I could of set something up like this.

1-12 bit samplers only, no effects, no computers,
2- Make a Monophonic beat that can only contain 1 sound at any one time, no layering any sound
3- No longer than 30 mins must be spent making this beat.
4 - Every 4 bars it must change time signature, and tempo change
5- Send your unmastered version to another battler to master.

All of the above can be classed as complicated evil and a battle killer, because it's pretty much impossible to do for most, I have witnessed a battle with rule 2 alone, and it was a mess. Rule 5 is impossible.

What I did was literally tell you how to do it, chop it to death, rearrange etc.

What you should of found is a way of just getting on with it without thinking to much, no outside samples makes things easier, and should of made things faster, it also keeps focus on the sounds of the samples so we can hear how each other has approached the idea, without fat bottom synths drowning the mix out, or sample packs hiding the breaks.

It's that Bruce Lee theory basically:
DON'T THINK.......FEEL.....OTHERWISE YOU WILL MISS ALL THAT HEAVENLY GLORY.

Also a battle is a challenge, it shouldn't be easy.
You done it though you made it before deadline, you have achieved something, now you just got to see if there's anything you have learnt and hold onto it.
By ThobRom Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:17 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:
Kraki wrote:
You ever done a live beat battle, you get minutes, not days to make a beat, ...

Do they sound good?

I like the creativity of the rules.

I like no outside sounds.
Almost any sample would have every sound you need with filters and carving it up good.
But that might take a little time.

Must use everything is cool.
Might be better without 6 different samples.
I'm thinking the 2 music samples and 1 or two of the drum loops.

4 completely different beats,
not just four different breakdowns is cool.
But that takes a little time.
I'm thinking 3 would be enough for a mini-medley.
Go more if you want.

Those are all fun and creative.
Any one of those would be a good main theme for the week. But maybe all 3 on top of each other at the same time in 4 days might seem just a teeny bit oppressive.

They sound good so far though,
maybe not.
By Kraki Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm
Obi as I said its allright, its a Battle and the winner makes the rules. :nod:
I suppose we just have completely different appoaches in beat making in general, because I personally dont get into the "don't think too much" mood you mentioned if I have rules to follow that mess up my whole workflow. If I have to use both samples in all 4 beats, I spend maybe 10 % of the time making the basic beats and the rest of the time I am figuring out a way to comply to the rules.

I think we had a quite similar discussion some months ago when we had to do a remix for an acapella we didn't like or something like that. :-D Battle 58 maybe?

I am going to shut up now... Don't want to come back after months and be the big complainer :oops:
By pk1 Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:59 am
ah no sweat just chatting and keeping the battles live is what I dig seeing. i think we should have a beat where we have to do a specific genre some time soon.

for the record i excercised my "only one outside sound" i chose the crash.

and i only made two different tracks. the first one just has three change ups. digging the entries so far. hope we get a better turn out then last couple weeks.
By primeXample Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:19 am
Also a battle is a challenge, it shouldn't be easy.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't been doing these battles for very long (maybe a month?) and at first, if I wasn't really feelin the samples, I wouldn't participate in that week. Since I have actually started participating in the battles, the rules have forced me to learn and/or try something new each week and has helped in my production of other tracks.

I am going to shut up now... Don't want to come back after months and be the big complainer :oops:

It's all good bro...

On another note,

As the one of the newer guys to participate in these battles, I would just like to thank you guys (hosts, mods, or whoever makes this shit happen) and for hosting, staying consistent each week, and making people feel welcome. I look forward to the battle each week even if I'm not able to submit something, I still come back to check out the tracks for the week. The feedback I've received is great and has helped in other areas of my productions.

Thank you!
By pk1 Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:46 am
Prime! That's what these are about. We are not winning anything here. But if you want there is always something to learn. And thanks we appreciate the appreciation.

I like trying to figure out some of the stuff you guys pull off in your tracks. And I get tips all the time from these battles.