Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

who brought the best track

27%
9%
18%
36%
9%
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
By pk1 Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 am
Vote time!

Let us know why your vote went where it did.

Voting ends sunday night . Please have your rules and samples ready.

5XVT

emwu23

DozyBeats

saadyah tzvi

Ivoryviking

SICK THE DRUMGOD

Reefer Madness Production

B urself

PrimeXample Productions
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 pm
Well done to everyone that submitted a beat for this battle. Some very unique and nice beats in this one :smoker: It's very close for my vote between Dozy, Ivoryviking and 5XVT this week.

My top 3 favourites in reverse order are:

3rd place - Dozy
2nd place - Ivoryviking
1st place - 5XVT

Well Done 5XVT, really digging the jazzy vibe and the cuts are just icing on the cake :smoker:
By 5XVT Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:57 pm
^^ Thanks for the vote!

Enjoyed all the beats but my favourite this week was IvoryViking

Nice common vox with some deep bass. Ticked my boxes.
By primeXample Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm
Between 5XVT and Ivoryviking gotta go with....

5XVT.

If I had listened to the beats before I started mine last night, I prob would not have posted mine. My track is very similar to 5XVT, except his is actually finished and way more polished :lol:
By pk1 Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am
Wanted to bring this comment to the forum. felt its a better place for it.

saadyah soundcloud comment:

saadyah tzvi: "feelin the drums but i think the melodies are pretty dissonant"

thanks for the call out. I'm pressing myself with these battles. i wait till last minute and only give myself a few hours. not an excuse at all.

this is my weakness. finding key structure and chords. in my tracks here in this battle forum. i like to bring a different style of work. i consider these battles my excercize to production. i really enjoy having to make something to expose publicly for judgment.

i usually use a tuner on my samples. sometimes.. well, alota times it may take my dumb ass an hour to match a 2nd sample or keyboard to the original sample.c :oops:
on this track i actually made a track where i chopped and layer samples exactly to 5x. then went to drop and started listing to submitted tracks. heard his and was like "oh smack! can't drop this! same shit different drums." flexed what i did in in like 3.5 hours.

i wanted to use both samples. finished product was a straight MPC-Forum deal, minus the common sample drop. and the bass. the last three beats i dropped was with this new bass. Illmind dropped a Kontakt instrument that is supper ILL. holler if you wanna check :wink: So it was really liked that both of y'all did latin samples! unknowingly!?? so i have been using the MPCRen and i used the noise. an included instrument, to make the noise sound. Used our forum leaders drums. other then that it was all samples.

I'm making the decision to change my battle beats to faster based tempo for a few weeks. more complex drums and well yes saadyah more in tune! tracks

really dig doing this with y'all.
By 5XVT Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 am
pk1 wrote:this is my weakness. finding key structure and chords. in my tracks here in this battle forum. i like to bring a different style of work. i consider these battles my excercize to production. i really enjoy having to make something to expose publicly for judgment.

i usually use a tuner on my samples. sometimes.. well, alota times it may take my dumb ass an hour to match a 2nd sample or keyboard to the original sample.c :oops:

You're not alone on that! I struggle with bass / synths as I don't have a musical background so I rarely do bass centred beats / its always just low in the mix as I'm not too confident with it.
By mcroepster Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 am
5XVT.

Cool jazzy song.!
This weeks top entry.

peace :smoker:
By dazastah Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:58 pm
What helped me with finding chords and notes in samples was actually understanding the theory behind it.. For most of you guys, and most samples that are hiphop based, i'd say would fall into the basic minor scale category.. knowing what The key of the music is second to knowing what type of scale the music is in..

The scales are relative .. meaning it's the gaps between each note that make it a minor scale not the key or note.

you could have a c minor scale and a g minor scale.. They will sound different in pitch but the relationship is that fact they follow the same note gaps(semi note and full notes)
So knowing the math of the minor scale means you can apply it to any key, and it will help you find notes easier that will work when making basslines, chords etc...

You can tell the difference straight away on music when they have a basic major or minor scale..

MAjor is happy sounding.... Minor is sad sounding....
By primeXample Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:22 pm
dazastah wrote:What helped me with finding chords and notes in samples was actually understanding the theory behind it..

dazastah wrote:The scales are relative .. meaning it's the gaps between each note that make it a minor scale not the key or note.

you could have a c minor scale and a g minor scale.. They will sound different in pitch but the relationship is that fact they follow the same note gaps(semi note and full notes)
So knowing the math of the minor scale means you can apply it to any key, and it will help you find notes easier that will work when making basslines, chords etc...

I'm reading a music theory book that is geared towards computer musicians and I'm currently reading a chapter on scales.

This pattern of "TTSTTTS" may be helpful

"The importance of this is that once the pattern of tones and semitones is known, it becomes possible to build a major scale on any note simply by counting up from that note: tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone. You can also work out major scales for other keys following this pattern."

By dazastah Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm
primeXample wrote:Image

YEs.. The minor scale is this

TSTTSTT

Making beats using this formula without samples will train your brain to then automatically hear the minor/major scale in every piece of music you hear.. And then adding basslines and extra sounds to layer and lush up your beat becomes very easy and quick..

tip... The root note at which that image shows is the note of C ... The rote note is what the bass line revolves around....
By MA Beats Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:26 pm
Like some of this weeks entries! Good job all! Can certainly hear peoples sound developing!

voted for Saadyahtzvi, good sound all round!