Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm
right on. thanks Saadyah

sample

https://www.dropbox.com/s/495ahvyt68yum ... s.mp3?dl=0

rules

1.NO OUTSIDE DRUMS!!!

2. must play a bassline out yourself, whether on the pads with 16 levels, or pushing keys. whether filtered bass from the sample or some sine wave, it must be played, recorded (programmed in) by hand.

3. must contain some vocal chops/stabs whether as a hook, some cuts, a verse off an acapella, some form of vocal fitting somewhere in your beat

last rule have fun!!!
By jibber Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm
Maybe i'll join in on the fun again, not sure yet.

I see we are still using mp3s... :roll:

And is it just me, or is there terrible ground noise in that recording? I mean come on... :roll: :roll:

Nevertheless, i'll see what i can come up with.
By pk1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:21 pm
mp3 not always. last week was a large wav file. :lol:
By jibber Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:47 pm
I think that was an exception... :mrgreen:

MP3 i can get over with, just not sure why it's so hard to make a wav file, unless people are ripping their samples from youtube.

But on a serious note, you don't hear that noise floor in the recording?
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:57 pm
Nice break in the intro but the artist is clearly on acid playing the flute 6 minutes straight.LOL

Song is a lil too busy for my taste but it`s about limitations right??

May sit this one out,may not.If I do something at all, don`t expect anything stellar.

Gonna have to listen to this back at the lab after I roll up and crack a brew.

As for me I prefer mp3 because I usually have to convert WAV files beforehand.

I don`t use software or a DAW.Straight plug in play hardware old school status.
By saadyah tz▾i Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 am
ok so i just finished my flip, that shi was fun to make

please excuse my being blunt, but yall sound like a pack of pussies, some picky mufukas...

the sample is a vinyl rip.. yes an mp3, you want a wav version find one, be my guest and flip the wav to your hearts content.. yes theres some disgusting ground noise in the rip.. isnt that the beauty of sampling off vinyl? isnt that what we purest analog heads feed off of? grit, dirt, filth, dust, hum etc.

i hope not too many of yall will get scared off by a challenge and..

just bring it!

don't talk, let the music do that for you. step up to the plate and (not to sound egotistical but..) make a doper beat than i just posted...

this is a beat battle, come try to beat me

catch yall on THE FLIP SIDE

peace
By mattman121775 Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm
I synthesized the samples. I guess that's ok? If not disregard my beat.
I took one bass, and one flute note, and messed with effects, and synthesis till I liked it.
By pk1 Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 pm
well, i must side with the pussies..

kinda beats the purpose of ripping vinyl. if you turn it to shit with an mp3 conversion. the first frequencies that are completely cut are the low end. so you have a wav but chose to degrade its quality.

but, on the tuff guy side :mrgreen: ,
let me quote you..."no! no need to apologize, after the quality (or lack thereof) of last weeks sample (no offense 5XVT) im more than thrilled to work with a high qual vinyl rip!!
and anyway im working with maschine so if you had converted it into to an mp3, id just have to convert it back into a wav (and lose all those oh so luscious frequencies, smash them to bits and poo them out of itunes backside :roll: )"

so i think your telling us you ripped it wav for your self? then gave us an mp3?

:vomit:

and we will take you up on that challenge. cause 45 seconds into that nice baseline is a bunch of mudded frequencies! :wink:
By mattman121775 Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 pm
pk1 wrote:well, i must side with the pussies..

kinda beats the purpose of ripping vinyl. if you turn it to **** with an mp3 conversion. the first frequencies that are completely cut are the low end. so you have a wav but chose to degrade its quality.

but, on the tuff guy side :mrgreen: ,
let me quote you..."no! no need to apologize, after the quality (or lack thereof) of last weeks sample (no offense 5XVT) im more than thrilled to work with a high qual vinyl rip!!
and anyway im working with maschine so if you had converted it into to an mp3, id just have to convert it back into a wav (and lose all those oh so luscious frequencies, smash them to bits and poo them out of itunes backside :roll: )"

so i think your telling us you ripped it wav for your self? then gave us an mp3?

:vomit:

and we will take you up on that challenge. cause 45 seconds into that nice baseline is a bunch of mudded frequencies! :wink:

I know it's an old argument, but a high quality mp3 is to my ears almost as good as .wav if it's a direct rip.
The high frequencies get smeared noticeably at lower bit rates, but a 360kbs vinyl rip is nearly indistinguishable (when it's a direct rip).
Youtube rips do have a smeared sound though. I agree there.
By pk1 Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm
i honestly don't care too much. this is a battle for fun.

i would rather have a nice raw wave. but in the long run we aren't winning anything. these are for fun and learning. Im just razzing our man Saad cause he opened the door to that one. i just happened to be passing by at the right time to get his ass. i was trying to get more fire out of him while he was going off.

I appreciate the fact he came threw this week when winner didn't have sample. and I couldn't make time to get one. thank you brotha.

after listening to this sample though... the break is the only good thing in it. i had to come back to check the rules. luckily outside instruments are not cut. that gay flute doesn't straighten out long enough for a good chop.

challenge for sure

:popcorn:
By 5XVT Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 pm
First thing I thought of with that sample is Sure Shot - so I remixed that!

Live bass from VST - everything else from the sample.