Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 pm
nice to hear you back in here strike. ya not sure about the soundcloud thing. i have been dropped from the mpc-forum group on each of their updates. so may just be some random shit.

nice track.
By mattman121775 Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:37 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Yo I ain't moaning about the challenge, just saying RnB sucks.

It mostly does, but not all.

By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 am
Nah not convinced, that Usher beat for a minute I thought was a Dilla Beat, the Gang-Starr beat was hiphop to me. My point is, it's just not rhythm and blue's, in fact I don't know what on earth it is, but it's connection to Hiphop seems to be the sell out side. It's borderline boyband pop.
By mattman121775 Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:14 pm
Yeah I know what you mean. Most of what people call r&b from the 90's was watered down hip hop beats with pop, and some distant 70's-80's r&b influence.

What I posted were mostly regular hip hop beats that r&b singers happen to sing on. Not sure if those types of beats qualify for this battle?
By illhack Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:04 am
This time I added my beat to the soundcloud group.
It wasn't easy but I made a 90's R&B track:

By MA Beats Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:37 am
Whats happenin' peoplez!! missed the last few rounds...here's mine for the week:

By Chillin Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:13 am
mattman121775 wrote:Yeah I know what you mean. Most of what people call r&b from the 90's was watered down hip hop beats with pop, and some distant 70's-80's r&b influence.

What I posted were mostly regular hip hop beats that r&b singers happen to sing on. Not sure if those types of beats qualify for this battle?

What wrote is incorrect. Hip Hop / Rap music derived from R&B, known as Funk and Disco. At some point in the mid 80s we started to use the breaks in those compositions, which became "break beats". This evolved into as once knew as Hip Hop, during the late 80- and 90s. During the early 90s R&B (New Jack Swing) actually became harder then most Hip Hop songs. This is when Hip Hop started to incorporate R&B "again". And modern underground Hip Hop has evolved into "broken beat".

By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:04 am
What ? ha ha! RnB harder than 90's beats !! At some point in the 80's we started using breaks ? :lol: what about Kool Herc in the 70's.

There are so many bangers from the 90's Public Enemy and Anthrax, Bring the Noise, The Judgement Night Soundtrack, Onyx, The Fushnikens, NWA, please tell me what modern RnB banged harder, I really can't think of anything.

It was in the 80's that modern RnB took place, MJ, Mariah, Whiteney, Stevie Wonder. Proper Rhythm n Blues, is Fats Domino, cats like that. So....back to watered down cheesey music.
By Chillin Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:58 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:What ? ha ha! RnB harder than 90's beats !! At some point in the 80's we started using breaks ? :lol: what about Kool Herc in the 70's.

There are so many bangers from the 90's Public Enemy and Anthrax, Bring the Noise, The Judgement Night Soundtrack, Onyx, The Fushnikens, NWA, please tell me what modern RnB banged harder, I really can't think of anything.

It was in the 80's that modern RnB took place, MJ, Mariah, Whiteney, Stevie Wonder. Proper Rhythm n Blues, is Fats Domino, cats like that. So....back to watered down cheesey music.

Kool Herc , Coke La Rock, Grand Wizard Theodore used Funk and Disco records, as I mentioned, they use the "melodic part", not the break itself. This is why early Hip Hop sound was funky. The breaks beats were used later, as we knew Hip Hop in the mid 80- till 90’s. Rakim (I Know You Got Soul), Public Enemy (PE No.1), Run-DMC (Peter Piper) etc...

Before that we had The Boogie Boys, Kurtis Blow... Newcleus - Jam On It,...

Hey DJ - World's Famous Supreme Team

Radio Activity Rapp (Let's Jam) - MC Fosty & Lovin' C

etc...

During the early 90’s bands like BBD, Guy, Big Mac, Big Bub etc were usually harder (unfortunately). And I did not say there wasn’t hard Hip Hop. I spoke of relative numbers, compared to the 80’s. But I remember the complaining by Hip Hop heads.

I did listen to the groups you’ve mentioned, unfortunately many of them did not get credit by the Pioneers, since they weren’t “rapping” as was done traditionally, examples like Onyx. Jeru The Damage was one for the exceptions, as was mentioned by the Destapo.

Ps, modern R&B took place in the 80’s Cameo, Gap Band, Kleeer, D Train etc...They already started experimenting during the mid and late 70’s, as they were originally (Jazz) Rhythm And Blues artists. They took Avant-garde Jazz and made it uptempo. As was explained by Nile Rodgers from the band Chic.

This how the Hip Hop sound started, and luckily it doesn’t sound like Onyx. Funky 4 +1 was kinkin' it since 1976.

By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 pm
I really appreciate all the history being dropped in here.It shows that y`all are students of the game and really love the culture.I respect it.

I just can`t wait for the next sample.In fact,if anybody has a sample they want me to try to flip please feel free to PM me.These battles give me something constructive to do with my spare time.
By Chillin Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:47 pm
Smooth RnB, jazzy vibe Ronny Jordan style.

Last edited by Chillin on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Chillin Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 pm
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:I really appreciate all the history being dropped in here.It shows that y`all are students of the game and really love the culture.I respect it.

I just can`t wait for the next sample.In fact,if anybody has a sample they want me to try to flip please feel free to PM me.These battles give me something constructive to do with my spare time.

We need to fight for what’s right, and bring Hip Hop back! You being from Crooklyn, I’m sure you can tell a story about the Disco Twins. :-D

I know you love drumming, as do I, so this one is for you.

Last edited by Chillin on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.