Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:41 am
Was away from technology for the day. Pardon...
Congrats iLLhack

Thanks for the plays, comments, likes and votes!

I'm down with Chillin and pk1 and we go for house.
But not just house, you can only choose one of the subgenre:

SOULFUL DEEP HOUSE
or
LATIN DEEP HOUSE

Here are the samples:
WAV:
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/70894645/file.html
and
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/2077555/file.html

And here the Rules:
- must use samples provided
- no time limit
- no accapellas. Use vocals stabs from the "Elis Regina - 1973 - Elis - 03 - Doente Morena" song
- use percussions from the "Juntos E Ao Vivo - 1973 - 05 - Caetano Veloso - Rita" song
- outside samples, sounds and instruments are allowed
- BPM has to be between 120-125

Extra Challenge:
Track needs to be an Soulful or Latin Deep House track!

Please have tracks posted in soundcloud group by friday midnight US Mountain time.
https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forum ... at-battles

Succes producing that slamming deephouse hit!
By Kraki Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm
Guys,

this customized rules thing is getting out of hand IMO... I don't want to hate like a couple of weeks ago about the very restrictive rules that are coming up here since a couple of months. But defining a genre? I mean I am vaguely familiar with how house music sounds, but wtf is deep house? And wtf is soulful or latin deep house? If you say something like "must have a rock or soul feeling" I get what you mean, but a genre with two sub characterizations in its name is way over the top. :vomit:

I mean what is the next step? Defining a beat that we have to copy most exactly?
By 5XVT Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:16 pm
Kraki wrote:Guys,

this customized rules thing is getting out of hand IMO... I don't want to hate like a couple of weeks ago about the very restrictive rules that are coming up here since a couple of months. But defining a genre? I mean I am vaguely familiar with how house music sounds, but wtf is deep house? And wtf is soulful or latin deep house? If you say something like "must have a rock or soul feeling" I get what you mean, but a genre with two sub characterizations in its name is way over the top. :vomit:

I mean what is the next step? Defining a beat that we have to copy most exactly?

Seconded - think I'll give this weeks a miss
By Chillin Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:31 pm
Cool, but these two house variants are closely matching. Especially with the song provided.

Later...and succes for you’ll.
Last edited by Chillin on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Kraki Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:35 pm
I'm not saying I don't like house, I am just not familiar with its sub and sub-sub genres or what is called what :hmmm: Tbh, not even in hip hop I know the names of too many subgenres because just I don't care about it.
By Chillin Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:51 pm
Kraki wrote:I'm not saying I don't like house, I am just not familiar with its sub and sub-sub genres or what is called what :hmmm: Tbh, not even in hip hop I know the names of too many subgenres because just I don't care about it.

To help you out. Here are a few examples, Soulful House:

Latin House:

Last edited by Chillin on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By illhack Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 pm
Guys,

the challenges are just to broaden your horizons, knowledge and improve your skills!

Some examples:

Soulful Deep house
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWQCwqiKxc

Latin Deep House
http://www.beatport.com/track/merecumbe ... rk/4423612

If you wanna learn about some Deep House chords and chord progression:
http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique ... se-chords/

Let's keep it simple:
Deep house = Four on the floor Beat + Deep House chords
Latin Deep house = Deep house + percussion
Soulful Deep house = deep house + funky vibe
By pk1 Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:09 pm
i can only speak for myself.

i chose to make the rule my way when its my turn. If you won and decided the next rule had to be a country song then so be it. thats what it would be. there is nothing getting out of hand. if anything the challenges are out of your hands. (not you/anyone specific. just the person who can't handle the next challenge)

the different (crazy out of hand) rules are totally legal. and when i wanted to make a rule to change the genre its cause I'm bored with challenging you 10-12 cats the same every week. if i was doing hip hop battles against different heads each time the challenge will be better. but lets take these same cats i have been playing with for some time now... i know their styles and can pretty much second guess how they will be bringing the next track based off how they did the last 5. so i wanted to see what y'all would do if you had to make a different style of track.

the community is not changing. this won't shove everyone away and only be 16 year olds with fruity loops making trap songs every battle. you will have the chance to make hip hop battle tracks again. in no time. but a couple weeks of change won't hurt anybody. besides: Ill say it again. there is no money or prizes to win here. nobody gets crazy props cause you win a Mpc or stone throw battle. it don't mean shit. the only thing these battles are for.

1}fun
2} learning/training in an open setting.

if your not getting those two things out of these battles your here for the wrong reason.

I can't stand house music. the most boring repetitious trash to ever come out the speakers. But If i do this challenge ill learn how they build their tracks. i might be able to begin to understand why there are 50 different "house genres" yet all have four to the floor beats. and sound the same. bottom line is don't let it bother you, if you like this community battle scene and are worried its making a change for the worst. its not just a couple battles thrown in the mix to cause a stir. make the best house track so you can bring james brown sample with the rules being only hip hop.
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:24 pm
I`ve learned to stop commenting when I don`t like something in the rules.I`m gonna listen to the samples,obey the BPM rule and see what I can cook up,if anything.

The last battle inspired me to perhaps take a chance on this one.I`ve done dance oriented stuff before from scratch.I can do it again.If y`all like it cool,if not,as long as I put something coherent together.

Besides,I have an extended weekend ahead and haven`t touched my" baby" in a while.
By illhack Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:32 pm
emwu23 wrote:Outside drums allowed?

By Chillin Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:34 pm
Pk1,

Four on the floor is indeed the basis of House. When you really think about it, it’s ironic how similar the history is to Hip Hop. Those early guys who started to make House, did so by taking tapes (cutting and reattaching them), of Disco records and started to repeat certain parts of the song. Four on the Floor was originally a break in the beat, as could be heard in many Motown songs. The backbeat can even be heard, as is still.

What you do is make this four one the floor beat as a basis, with a jazzy melodic vibe, and there you go. Your basic House song. When you learn these chord progressions you can also use them for Hip Hop productions. Thou, I’m from the Hip Hop generation, nowadays I actaully make "broken beat" songs.

Then to think of it, Bamaataa started making House in the late 80’s early 90’s.
Last edited by Chillin on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Chillin Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:37 pm
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:I`ve learned to stop commenting when I don`t like something in the rules.I`m gonna listen to the samples,obey the BPM rule and see what I can cook up,if anything.

The last battle inspired me to perhaps take a chance on this one.I`ve done dance oriented stuff before from scratch.I can do it again.If y`all like it cool,if not,as long as I put something coherent together.

Besides,I have an extended weekend ahead and haven`t touched my" baby" in a while.

You’ remember this one by Jungle Brothers?

Last edited by Chillin on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By emwu23 Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:43 pm
illhack wrote:
emwu23 wrote:Outside drums allowed?

Ok.Thanks ,I will try.