Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By illhack Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm
Two appointments where cancelled, so i had some time to make a beat, here's my entry:

Mink got a point, maybe 4/20 is too late but till sunday is ok................
By pk1 Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:08 am
had a long week and a ridiculous long day just saw the threads last cpl pages.

my bad for not seeing the mistake on the date posted originally.

regardless. we will keep the track record we have been mashing on. vote will go up this evening I'm just getting tracks accepted and eating dinner. give me a min.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:21 am
CHOPFYT wrote:Ive probly unknowingly used someone elses drums from packs Ive collected over the years I just wouldnt choose to do it, Im not gonna here Slum Village/Eminem/Jehst/G-Unit etc latests song / unheard banger and think 'oh I can jack those drums' its just stupid imo **** it tho...do you fellas

I already had pages of this argument last year...dude giving away chopped ATCQ, Premo, Pete Rock, Dilla album tracks and promoting them as fresh new kits or whatever...thats where that sh*t leads people jacking the greats and diluting their hits

My point with this is don't get worked up about it, even the greats bite, you see a Marco Polo pack for sale and think Ooh!, then see a vid of him making a beat, and he has kontakt, so.....is he selling sounds he got from NI packs, are you buying what you have processed differently, or are you getting the best one shots off of vinyl. Then you have the sound designers behind the beat makers like Timbaland, you hear his drums are amazing, it's because the guy that makes his drums knows what he's doing. There will always be wack sound packs, because people will buy them.

Also think there has always been a purity sample problem in Hiphop, it has come from the older guys saying don't bite, but do use each others drums, saying keep it real, but nick something from someone else's stash, or from the free cd of a music mag. Then there's sourcing it from vinyl completely, there's the view it's not Hiphop at all if it isn't from vinyl. This could go on and on and on. :Sigh:
By Mink Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:45 am
I think anything in hip hop is fair game. It's more a case of what you do with it rather than what is was originally.

So vinyl, YouTube, field recording, magazine cd, synth, real instrument, reel-to-reel.....whatever....it can sound Wack, lazy and derivative of it can sound dope and individual. That's where the skill of the producer comes in

As for genres. I generally don't like sampling from hip hop to make hip hop, but it's not a preference and not because I think it's 'wrong'...if I hear the perfect bit in a hip hop joint that would make my track better, you best believe I'm jacking it
By CHOPFYT Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:33 pm
im not worked up dude...**** it I just wouldnt do it, Im not one of those 'you must only sample vinyl' bellends...I havent sampled a record in years

I cant elaborate any further on my feelings about it

*to be fair it would take a very open/obvious use of pre existing hip hop hits/samples for me to notice...I prob wouldnt even realise if someone used the Quick track here

By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:31 am
CHOPFYT wrote:im not worked up dude...**** it I just wouldnt do it, Im not one of those 'you must only sample vinyl' bellends...I havent sampled a record in years

I cant elaborate any further on my feelings about it

*to be fair it would take a very open/obvious use of pre existing hip hop hits/samples for me to notice...I prob wouldnt even realise if someone used the Quick track here

I wasn't talking about you directly man, I'm talking about perspectives on things :lol: , you do need to chill though ha ha!
By Chillin Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:19 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Hate to break it to you guys but the biting snobbery becomes irrelevant, a lot of big producers sample from CD or music mag CD's, I bought a beat butcha pack once and he left the tags in, he had nicked from J-Zone, Dr Dre, Magazines, and god knows what else, I've seen 9th Wonder in his drum kit advert say where he gets some of his drums, CD as well, same tactic.

It's down to basics, You sample, you bite, period, whether you like it or not and it isn't genre specific. Unless you played the drums and every other Instrument, made your own composition, then sampled that and chopped it, it is biting, your taking something from somewhere else, but that is the root of Hiphop, then make it your own.

What you decide to bite should not be moral based on the genre, I'm not going to sample from Hiphop as it's theft is really quite funny :lol:

You remember this one?

By mastasteez Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 pm
Please fill in this gap in my hip hop knowledge...

'Shut your mouth like MC Shan when KRS is in the house'

Chino XL lyric from Don't Say A Word.

Yeah a Google search would tell me but I want one of your takes on it. Guess there was a battle or beef back in the day.
By pk1 Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 am
Yes first big mc battle. Basically the story you have herd repeated several times. Where did hiphop start in the Bronx or in queens. So these two took it it to battle no matter who won, would not matter where it really started but the battle was big. Really good read. When you do
By mastasteez Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:19 pm
I'm such a **** idiot. With a very small memory. Of course it's the battle of the Bridge. Cheers :oops: