Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By bu-shi Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:03 pm
Sorry didn't see your previous post saying anything goes
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:20 pm
pk1 wrote:
mastasteez wrote:
Mink wrote:I must be the only person alive who has never watched a Cheech and Chong film

Nu-uh. I fall in to the 'I watched about 5 minutes of one a long time ago' category. Born '86, think it's a generational ting.

ya it is.. 80 an 90's kids can't hold attention to much of anything without explosions and death. :mrgreen:

Ha ha! :lol:

If you haven't seen it, it's worth a watch, helps to be stoned. The Van made of weed is legendary.
By richie Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 am
Stop hating on the Cheech and Chong movies.
By nonsense913 Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 pm
Took a bit of playing around to build anything but I came up with 2 decent beats here. Was looking for the Daves not here part to top it off at the end but I couldnt find a good clip from the actual movie with that part.

I used everything provided and no outside samples or synths. Used a distortion effect as well as lo fi filter to create the bass from parts of the soul sample. Only thing I didnt use was the Dj Quik track. Always hate sampling from hip hop for a hip hop beat for some reason lol.

By KappNeffect Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:48 pm
nonsense913 wrote:Took a bit of playing around to build anything but I came up with 2 decent beats here. Was looking for the Daves not here part to top it off at the end but I couldnt find a good clip from the actual movie with that part.

I used everything provided and no outside samples or synths. Used a distortion effect as well as lo fi filter to create the bass from parts of the soul sample. Only thing I didnt use was the Dj Quik track. Always hate sampling from hip hop for a hip hop beat for some reason lol.

This is fly, maaaaaayne!....but sadly, no Quik...

I got some good sh*t up out that Quik... filter filter filter layer.. lol. I sample the sh*t out of hiphop...NO ONE IS SAFE! :lol:
By CHOPFYT Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:09 pm
nonsense913 wrote:Always hate sampling from hip hop for a hip hop beat for some reason lol

co-sign on that seems backwards dont think its cool...this will seem hypocritical and will put noses out of shape but I think its biting in the purest form :popcorn:
By TT_Lab Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:09 pm
CHOPFYT wrote:
nonsense913 wrote:Always hate sampling from hip hop for a hip hop beat for some reason lol

co-sign on that seems backwards dont think its cool...this will seem hypocritical and will put noses out of shape but I think its biting in the purest form :popcorn:

I don't judge those that do it...but it doesn't feel right to me either...even for drums...But you know, everyone to do what feels and that's it!
By KappNeffect Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:15 pm
Lol @ style bitting... I guess... they get it from him who got it from them who got it from them. :lol:

F*ck it though

By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 pm
Hate to break it to you guys but the biting snobbery becomes irrelevant, a lot of big producers sample from CD or music mag CD's, I bought a beat butcha pack once and he left the tags in, he had nicked from J-Zone, Dr Dre, Magazines, and god knows what else, I've seen 9th Wonder in his drum kit advert say where he gets some of his drums, CD as well, same tactic.

It's down to basics, You sample, you bite, period, whether you like it or not and it isn't genre specific. Unless you played the drums and every other Instrument, made your own composition, then sampled that and chopped it, it is biting, your taking something from somewhere else, but that is the root of Hiphop, then make it your own.

What you decide to bite should not be moral based on the genre, I'm not going to sample from Hiphop as it's theft is really quite funny :lol:
By mattman121775 Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:59 pm
KappNeffect wrote:@Obi ...my thoughts exactly. Just make the sh*t dope and keep the vibes coming.

Ski beats made Dead Prezidents with Tribe called quest drums.
One of the best beats ever IMO. :nod:
By bu-shi Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm
Doesn't matter where you get a sample from, its what you do with it that should.
By KappNeffect Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm
Keith's Lard wrote:I'd sample one of MC Hammer's farts so long as it sounded good. No homo.

Hahahahah.. they repo'd them.
By Mink Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 pm
I remember Flavor Flav saying "You can't copyright no beats, man!"

Which made me want to release an album just rapping over stolen PE beats :)

Seriously, I do get where people are coming from. I don't think I would choose hip-hop to sample from as a rule - mainly because there is SO much interesting and obscure stuff out there that brings a new sound to the table to just re-use hip-hop tracks which have already walked that path.

Saying that, I will routinely layer drums on top of 'Impeach the President', so I'm just a **** hypocrite