Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

best track?

43%
29%
N/A
N/A
14%
14%
By pk1 Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:56 pm
alright lets get this vote started.
winner please have sample and rules ready wed night.
of course don't vote for self, and if possible let us know what you thought about the tracks

Martel

Contraband Family

Midas Touch

Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Dez nyce

QuickStrike

good luck guys :popcorn:
By martel80 Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm
I have voted for Quickstrike.

Track review:

contraband family: Overall, a very Brooklynish type of track, Drums Ok but not well mixed imo. The kick sound too woofy and doesnt knock at all and the snare is way too far in the background and sound very thin. What I like about your track is the sample choice and chopping but I think they are lacking in the mid lows range. It might have had a different impact with a serious bass which was totally absent sadly. Overall, I like this kind of beat, sample and rythm. the only aspect lacking was the mix and the drum choice .

Midas choice: Very nice kick, waow. The snare is too far. The sequencing doesnt sound tight and the sample switch feel forced and not natural at all.The Acapella doesnt fit either which also doesnt help to the solidness and consistency of the whole idea. The samples are warm enough though and it doesnt sound distorted which is proof of a certain Quality control. Overall good job.

Dez nyce: Very nice idea, it sound like if Queens bridge was meeting Brownsville on a track. The piano melody was a very good idea but they sound a bit ''midi'' ( the melody that come on top of the piano sample ) like if it was some D12 or Detroit eminem type of beat which I dont find particularly attracting. Again, you too have a very small and tiny snare that is too shy which make the beat lose energy and cohesion. The sample might lack a bit of of warmness but the rythm pattern and cohesion between samples makesome sense even tho' they really switch from a vibe to another. Overall great job.

Quickstrike: I gave you my vote just because you made Timberland meet Rakim. The idea was just plain genius even tho' if it doesnt sound orginal. Drums are knocking tight but distorting sadly. Your mix also lack overhead and Air ( High frequency shelf, boost that shit up by 6-9db at 4khz brother ) Overall, to me , you beat my beat straight flat just because of that Timby jiggy idea. That's a banger and should be worked on to showcase your work if mixed properly.

Good job everybody.

cant wait for the next one !
By QuickStrike Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 pm
My vote goes to Martel. Nice combination of samples used to make your track. Good mix too.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Sorry PK1 my bad man :Sigh:

Great to see Martel80 dropping his thoughts on each track, props dude :smoker:

Still undecided on where to stick my vote yet :hmmm:
By MPCWeapon1 Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 pm
My vote goes to Dez. His beat had the best feel and he was original and creative with his sample chops. QuickStrike beat was dope but it sounded like a 2018 version of Ra's Guess Who's Back joint.

Dez's creativity and originality edges him out... IMHO
By dez perado Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 pm
I went with martel on this one because it was kind of weird like i wanted to sample some chops out of it. Over all everybody put something good together
By MPCWeapon1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 pm
martel80 wrote:I have voted for Quickstrike.

Track review:

contraband family: Overall, a very Brooklynish type of track, Drums Ok but not well mixed imo. The kick sound too woofy and doesnt knock at all and the snare is way too far in the background and sound very thin. What I like about your track is the sample choice and chopping but I think they are lacking in the mid lows range. It might have had a different impact with a serious bass which was totally absent sadly. Overall, I like this kind of beat, sample and rythm. the only aspect lacking was the mix and the drum choice .

The drums are from a break beat. The beat was made around the break beat. The snare needs to sound thin because of the space that it inhibits. the reverb and echo effect is needed to fill the gaps between the brass hits. If the snare was in front it wouldn't sound natural.

Shamboozie is written in F minor which elicits depressed emotions from the listener. So the horn melody is needed to bring balance to the song. Bob James melody was a masterpiece but I wanted to play it differently so I had to isolate it, chop the notes, replay it, and then layer it....... Gotta take out the midrange and low end to do all of that. Now if I had intentions of selling this beat or one of the rappers in my crew wanted to make a song out of it I would have automated the filtering and added some secret spices to it..... But its a beat battle with no stakes so why bother? I was just having fun freaking a Bob James masterpiece. Thanks for the feedback though.

Shout out to PK1 for the sample choice and the beat battles in general. It got me back into sampling.
By pk1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Chillin. what happened? why did you pull your track out? For a second there i thought i missed putting your track in vote. then noticed you changed your name on soundcloud.

Dez i really dig that track. the hook is kinda too contrasting IMO. nothing wrong with it. just sounds like it belongs to another track. and the vocal drop (to me) could be a different pitch. solid though, and Hip-hop!

Big Psyche its not shit at all. Simple, but a good positive vibe. My boys liked this the most if they were voting they had you.
but im voting :mrgreen: muhahah!

Weapon - I agree with martel on that kick. it sounds like you have a piece of a cowbell in it. and its more on the right side. kinda weird were its making me concentrate on what the hell that is instead of beat. Dope track though. i would have taken break you built beat around away and laid your own rhythm. and made those horns kinda stomp on the change ups. dope track. And on the shout out, thanks brotha glad to help out, keep these going.

Quick - i always dig your drops. After really listening. again i agree with martel. The drum mix seams a little squashed. or perhaps you have a filter on it? still fire! Hook took it to another level. Flute drop was perfect. The track lights me up, can't help but grin and nod. And i really want that BumpBox in my shop this summer.

Martel Love it brotha. You really used that track. I think the snare tares a little to hard. the ears actually acclimate until you drop the drums then the snare tares threw. and i felt the submarine bell was a touch to load. but over all very very nicely mixed.

Take note fellas. thats how you make a track loud with out smashing the hell out of it. not this week but often there are a cpl submissions that get pushed a little to hard. we all have done it at some time.

Glad everybody dug those samples.
the record martel psyche, and i believe chillin used was off "Gary Burton - Turn of the century" all kinds of stuff to use on that record.you all knew the bob james. "The Foundations - Diggin the Foundations"

hard choice. but i will have to go with what sounded like the most work. loved em both. but i know quick comes in and bangs these battles out in twenty min. :fku:

hope to hear more from you Martel
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Where the samples at? Or is the vote still going?
By martel80 Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm
I'm ready, I got 3 track for you guys but we can continue voting....
Am I suposed to be the one doing the thread or how am I suposed to be sending my tracks to someone ?
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 pm
You could post them if you have them in a drop box like the last ones but usually they want you to pm them I believe. I wouldn’t know haven’t won one yet.

I was just getting antsy and wanted to preview them before I get home from work. I look forward to having my beat criticized the shit out of. Been using these boxes for years but mixing and that I have no clue what I’m doing lol. Plus it’s all fun.

Great beats this week too. I fd mine up And didn’t want y’all to wait for me.
By martel80 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm
Its always fun first.
If it's not, we should do something else of our life.
What I like about critics is that you learn how your music translate to other sound system.
For example, I thought my organ stab was way too loud in the mix and I thought after postingmy mix'' sh!t, I fawked up''
But nop, no one pointed it out.
PK said my snare was too loud which I kind of agree but I dont know how much too loud it was. To me it was just sitting there as a King but maybe it was in reality Snaping like a mexican mother chaclas on a face on a sunday morning....I dont know !

So I love the critics for that because it gives a different perspective and that is extremely important to better your craft.

I guess I'll just PM PK1 with my wetransfer link now so he can post the new battle 194
By pk1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:09 pm
:lol:
martel80 wrote:Its always fun first.
If it's not, we should do something else of our life....

Snaping like a mexican mother chaclas on a face on a sunday morning...
:lol:

The man is dropping elderly knowledge about living, and making it fun!
These are mostly about fun and learning off each other. Two reason heads stop participating in these battles. They are actually really good and don't get anything from them. Or feel like they are not good enough cause nobody dropped a vote for their beat. Of course there are many others but those two generally what I have experienced in the few years I've been in them.

Now when heads ask about the comments that were left on their track and communicate you learn faster. There are some pretty knowledgeable guys making beats in here. and I've seen guys grow exponentially in these battles.

Snare wasn't necessarily too loud... I rock my snares pretty dominate as well. It just had that tearing (spelled that wrong last post) the ear drum power. It really rips threw mix and does slap you like a chacla.

Anytime vote ends and I'm not sweating y'all about getting sample. Just post your link in vote thread. So cats can get started. Pm myself or psyche as well and we will make the new thread. Congrats on win I'll throw up new thread now.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 pm
pk1 wrote:Big Psyche its not shit at all. Simple, but a good positive vibe. My boys liked this the most if they were voting they had you. but im voting :mrgreen: muhahah!l

Cheers man appreciate the love from your boys :smoker: Really like to go back at sometime, maybe tidy this one up or possible rework this into what my mind has installed for the battle in the first place. :smoker:

martel80 wrote:I'm ready, I got 3 track for you guys but we can continue voting....
Am I suposed to be the one doing the thread or how am I suposed to be sending my tracks to someone ?

Slow down Martel, we still got till tomorrow evening till the poll closes, anything can happen with the votes :lol: If you win then you can send me or PK1 the link via PM for us to set up battle 194 dude
By pk1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm
i think the vote is dead. technically we should be going till this evening. so psyche is right. I may accidentally, not have changed it to a two day vote. so it ended earlier then supposed to.

So Please feel free to throw votes in this thread with a post we can tally up tonight.
i think all that got down threw votes already.

Hense why we don't vote for self. we don't get enough outside votes. if we voted for self, which i feel is fair, everybody would have one vote for them selves and no winner! so we force you to vote other then self.

sometimes it bothers cats...
CHOPFYT wrote:I voted for myself because A) That other shit is wack and B) i dont give a ****