Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

best track?

43%
29%
N/A
N/A
14%
14%
By MPCWeapon1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 pm
pk1 wrote:
Glad everybody dug those samples.
the record martel psyche, and i believe chillin used was off "Gary Burton - Turn of the century" all kinds of stuff to use on that record.you all knew the bob james. "The Foundations - Diggin the Foundations"

hard choice. but i will have to go with what sounded like the most work. loved em both. but i know quick comes in and bangs these battles out in twenty min. :fku:

hope to hear more from you Martel

What's the criteria for these battles so I can know how to vote next time.

Dez got my vote because I thought he flipped the sample the best out of the rest of the competition.

Quickstike would have got my vote if we were just looking for the best overall beat.

Now if we were to look at this as QuickStrike VS Martell how does Martell get the vote when Quick samples a phrase, while he didn't flip it he crafts the sound to make it his own, adds percussion variations, and writes a flute melody that makes you feel the beat..... And Martell while the beat is well put together he just looped the first phrase he hears on the song and puts some drums underneath it with a couple of sounds?

I dont get it. How are we judging these sampled based beats?
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 pm
pk1 wrote:i think the vote is dead. technically we should be going till this evening. so psyche is right. I may accidentally, not have changed it to a two day vote. so it ended earlier then supposed to.

Its all good man it ends tomorrow night :smoker:

MPCWeapon1 wrote:What's the criteria for these battles so I can know how to vote next time.

Dez got my vote because I thought he flipped the sample the best out of the rest of the competition.

You answered you own question mate, the criteria is its all based on what you feel is the best :smoker:
By pk1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 pm
ahh nice. i didn't think to log out...and look :Sigh: my fault. thats why i need you to help keep me inline holmes.
thx bro.

MPCWeapon1 wrote:Now if we were to look at this as QuickStrike VS Martell how does Martell get the vote when Quick samples a phrase, while he didn't flip it he crafts the sound to make it his own, adds percussion variations, and writes a flute melody that makes you feel the beat..... And Martell while the beat is well put together he just looped the first phrase he hears on the song and puts some drums underneath it with a couple of sounds?

Ever been to a Beat battle brotha. like a show, battle? id only think you would vote here the same as there. What moves you the most when track is played. Crowd vote is based on what host feels has the highest db. scream when asked.
Here on the other hand, we can chill really listen and decide. Dez did freak that track. But it didn't make me want to keep playing over and over. not thats its not dope at all. same with yours. both of you may have put in more work then them. but did it break my neck?... if neither Quick or Martel submitted we may be having this same chat about yours and Dez.
Anything im saying on here is just my shiiit opinion anyway. im nobody to y'all. who the hell is Ivoryviking? He defiantly isn't no Peter, Primo, or an Apollo... :nod:
We can defiantly make the vote criteria more strict. This is where the rules come into play. Winner makes rules. i don't shut em down ever, no matter how crazy. The turn out might not be what you want, the more challenging the rules. But creating a more challenging battle, rule wise is always welcome.

for instance:
open rules as far as what is used to create track..
vote must be on the best mix.
or most complete track in total. Like intro, hooks, mix is done. And the beat sounds like it can be sold to highest bidder....

I myself would like to do a non sample battle... post a track you made from scratch. Samples, live instruments what ever you want. with out being restricted to the samples provided. Shit post the best track you ever made in your life. see how heads like it...
Like i said there is only a few of us voting. this would be different if there where twenty so votes on seven beats.
it wouldn't come down to just how only the few of us dig the tracks.
So no criteria. Unless posted within the present battle.
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm
i get that it’s all in what you vibe with but this round seemed extra nit picky over people’s mix. I hope to get some valuable feedback as I learn to mix properly, I literally have a college textbook I’ve been working with. I also make keygroups and mangle the samples more than I chop breaks or bars.
I guess it’s on me though.
By pk1 Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 pm
I personally only start picking em apart if i like more then one, and have to choose between. Again, this is something the forum allows for us to do. usually wouldn't be like that.
generally nobody gets technical. i try to leave feedback on tracks just to give a little more then my vote. i understand we all aint Quickstrikes slapping bangers out in moments while others (like myself take more like 5 hrs) may spend allot of time on these. feel real strong about submission. to not even get one vote and nobody says anything about it.

When you post your track Diesel, ask for comments on your mix. Like martel said we all have different systems and this is a great chance to have other systems listening to your joint.
By martel80 Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 pm
Dont mean do be rude MpcWeapons but you might want to get a second listen to the beat I did if all you hear is the first sample that come up in there.

Also, a good set of monitors might have made you hear something particular about how I mixed it.

I've used the same samples twice.

One was Mono with HPF to 400hz ( That one was gain staged accordingly to make it a strong bass )
The other was Stereo with LPF at 250hz and I opened the stereo field.
There was also panning, gain riding and frequency filtering in what I did.
While I may find excuses why you would think my beat may have not been better then the others, I can also tell by that comment why your beats or the one you judged best seems to sound good to you.
Get some good Monitors brother, you wont regret it.

I personally like my music based on my taste in music, for that reason I prefer Golden age Rap beat and cant stand Trap music.

But if I personally had to choose between 2 track, one sounding like a kid distorting his ipad input and another out of a Neve console, the question would answer by itself.

It's cool to be creative but to me there's a certain limit (to my taste ). I learned that the day one of my artist friend made me discover a genre of music called Noise in a Loft Party in 2002-2003.
All sort of squeeking, Knocking, distortiton....you get that for 30 minute and you need to go out of the loft and vents because youre about to high five someone in the face with a chair.
Being creative is cool, mixing properly is also cool.

While I write this, I just understood something....
This is a Beat battle, who cares about the mix.....
It's not a mix battle.....
Kids doenst even need to differentiate a balanced mix to a anemic mix.
We just need to judge the beat for sample chopping, processing and creativity process.
You are right.

Why would we judge the sound quality anyways, I might be the only one with a studio in here anyways.
By pk1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 am
its not a mix battle....
unless you choose to see it that way. Like i said, i would only start looking at the next debatable thing of two-three beats, if im having an issue choosing the better of my liking.
I believe quick has studio and i only moved out of mine cpl years ago. never the less, some good monitors is crucial. understanding what your feeding them is even more..

and it looks like unless some y'all get your boys, or your girlfriends to register and vote... :lol: this may be a wrap
By MPCWeapon1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 am
martel80 wrote:Dont mean do be rude MpcWeapons but you might want to get a second listen to the beat I did if all you hear is the first sample that come up in there.

Also, a good set of monitors might have made you hear something particular about how I mixed it.

I've used the same samples twice.

One was Mono with HPF to 400hz ( That one was gain staged accordingly to make it a strong bass )
The other was Stereo with LPF at 250hz and I opened the stereo field.
There was also panning, gain riding and frequency filtering in what I did.
While I may find excuses why you would think my beat may have not been better then the others, I can also tell by that comment why your beats or the one you judged best seems to sound good to you.
Get some good Monitors brother, you wont regret it.

I personally like my music based on my taste in music, for that reason I prefer Golden age Rap beat and cant stand Trap music.

But if I personally had to choose between 2 track, one sounding like a kid distorting his ipad input and another out of a Neve console, the question would answer by itself.

It's cool to be creative but to me there's a certain limit (to my taste ). I learned that the day one of my artist friend made me discover a genre of music called Noise in a Loft Party in 2002-2003.
All sort of squeeking, Knocking, distortiton....you get that for 30 minute and you need to go out of the loft and vents because youre about to high five someone in the face with a chair.
Being creative is cool, mixing properly is also cool.

While I write this, I just understood something....
This is a Beat battle, who cares about the mix.....
It's not a mix battle.....
Kids doenst even need to differentiate a balanced mix to a anemic mix.
We just need to judge the beat for sample chopping, processing and creativity process.
You are right.

Why would we judge the sound quality anyways, I might be the only one with a studio in here anyways.

Well here's why I wasn't feeling your beat. It's the sample. Those piano chords and melody were too cheesy. It sounded like a Mr Roger's episode. This is no fault of your own, you didn't dig in the crate for the sample you were just working with what you were given... the beat was put together well and it was good sonically.. The sample just didn't resonate with me. Plus I thought me and you were on the same page with Quick's beat being better. The reasoning for PK1 voting for you over Quick is what made me say,... "hold up, what's the criteria, here."

As far as Monitors.thats not the issue. I make these beat battle beats in like 15 - 20 minutes..I don't do any mixing. The only mixing I did on the last beat was move the brass frequencies outta the way of the Saxophone so I can layer it. If I wanted to engage in a battle of sonics I would pull my MPC 4000 out.
By martel80 Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 am
pk1 wrote:its not a mix battle....
unless you choose to see it that way. Like i said, i would only start looking at the next debatable thing of two-three beats, if im having an issue choosing the better of my liking.
I believe quick has studio and i only moved out of mine cpl years ago. never the less, some good monitors is crucial. understanding what your feeding them is even more..

and it looks like unless some y'all get your boys, or your girlfriends to register and vote... :lol: this may be a wrap

What I meant is that he's actually right, imo.

It's a beat battle, it doesnt even need to sound decently mixed.

If we compare to another art form in HH, its like the dissing battles where people dont even need to follow a beat in Battling anymore, they go straight acapella like its a comedy show or something.
People dont even judge the delivery and flow anymore....its out of date.
Like you dont need to control the most professional part of your art form to actually battle.
You just need to ....do it, Like Shia Leboeuf would say.

I think its part of that whole digital revolution where we consume stuff in a split second and dont really build our craft anymore.

Yesterday, the hot beat was DAnielle Bregolli - cash me howsci, Today the hot song is Gucci gang repeated 127 time in 3 minute and tomorrow the hot rap beat might be Big Shaq - Man not hot.

At the end, who cares?!

Well, I do care and thats why I dont appreciate when a track sound like it didnt receive the respect it should.
Turning everything like a joke without respect ( for sound quality for example ) is not part of the HH culture i grew up to.
By martel80 Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:26 am
MPCWeapon1 wrote:
Well here's why I wasn't feeling your beat. It's the sample. Those piano chords and melody were too cheesy. It sounded like a Mr Roger's episode. This is no fault of your own, you didn't dig in the crate for the sample you were just working with what you were given... the beat was put together well and it was good sonically.. The sample just didn't resonate with me. Plus I thought me and you were on the same page with Quick's beat being better. The reasoning for PK1 voting for you over Quick is what made me say,... "hold up, what's the criteria, here."

As far as Monitors.thats not the issue. I make these beat battle beats in like 15 - 20 minutes..I don't do any mixing. The only mixing I did on the last beat was move the brass frequencies outta the way of the Saxophone so I can layer it. If I wanted to engage in a battle of sonics I would pull my MPC 4000 out.

I totally agree that beat for beat, Quick was flat killing me on this one. I still believe he beat me.
On the other hand, if there's headz in this place like I believe I am, I know why they would have voted for me.

Put your 4k out next battle were up against, teach me a mixing lesson and show us all you can make a finished product.
By pk1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 am
sounds like battle words suckas! :popcorn:

I believe Weapon is on a touch, maybe Live. And we all know how that 4k is going to make the sound much higher quality.....

congrats on the Win Martel80

nice week y'all
By martel80 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:23 am
Thanks PK,

That was a warm welcome.

Here's this week Sample pool:
https://we.tl/WY9BMACgKw

Same rule as last week + Maximum 1:45 length and no acapella accepted.

I dedicate this week battle to my son Arcani that got kidnapped 17 months ago in Peru.

Vamonos carajo !!

Good luck to all.

:popcorn:
By MPCWeapon1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm
martel80 wrote:
MPCWeapon1 wrote:

I totally agree that beat for beat, Quick was flat killing me on this one. I still believe he beat me.
On the other hand, if there's headz in this place like I believe I am, I know why they would have voted for me.

Put your 4k out next battle were up against, teach me a mixing lesson and show us all you can make a finished product.

Nah.. I'd much rather put my raw unprocessed MPC Live beat up against your sonic masterpiece...
By pk1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:09 pm
*Nobody is out of line this is just my friendly reminder*

Nothing wrong with a little tension, and getting actually heated. Real battle style. I only ask yall that's it's not keyboard style. Always keep it How we would act face to face in public. This is a battle thread. We are grown men, and good battle is a great part of hip hop.
By MPCWeapon1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm
pk1 wrote:*Nobody is out of line this is just my friendly reminder*

Nothing wrong with a little tension, and getting actually heated. Real battle style. I only ask yall that's it's not keyboard style. Always keep it How we would act face to face in public. This is a battle thread. We are grown men, and good battle is a great part of hip hop.

Nobody is heated. He respectfully challenged me, and I respectfully responded. This is a beat battle for fun with nothing on the line... Nothing to be heated about.

He wants me to put on my professional mixing engineer hat, and I basically said it's not necessary. I can make a banger without a professional miix down....we'll see.

And by the way since you criticized a non existent cow bell on the right side of my kick drum ..be sure to jump in this next battle too.. Let see if the critics can compete with this next beat.