The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Voiceless Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:56 pm
Okay,

So I have a carpenter friend who is willing to make some nice, wooden side panels for my 2500. I've seen the thread by TokinTone from a while back and I'm thinking of following a similar design as his.

Just have a small question before we can get started.

Do the screws on the side panels just hold the side panels on the 2500 or do they hold anything else inside the unit?

I'm just being cautious as I don't fancy damaging anything inside. I've had a look around and can't find an answer so I'm turning to the great MPC Forums for advice.

When they are finished, I'll post pics up on here.

Thanks,

Voiceless.
By sciguy Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:00 pm
The stock endcaps are plastic, no?

I don't think they would designate any structural purpose to plastic pieces, considering that all the rest of the framework is metal.

Also, they only function as covers on the 1K, not holding anything else in place, so I would guess the 2K5 would be the same.
By loose_t Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 am
Yes the screws just hold the side panels in place. I would be down for a set if they look the business.... been waiting for someone to do this :)
By Voiceless Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:47 pm
Thanks for clearing that up :)

I think this will be a one off as my friend is very busy but if they work out, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind sharing the measurements. So, if all goes well, I'll post them up as well.

Cheers peeps.
By Voiceless Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Yo,

No not yet. He's being really slack. Doing my head in to be honest. Hahaha!

As I said before, I'll post the results when they're done though.
By Voiceless Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm
Hey guys. Chill out.

My friend actually has a life and he is doing them in his spare time, for free.

I'm not really on a rush for them either.

He has cut them but they need finishing.

Not long now.
By konc3pt Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:16 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Damn 6 months for side panels. Its not like he building a house. Its just two pieces of wood.

:lol:
By Voiceless Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 pm
Okay chaps,

Here is what I'm calling draft one of the Wooden Side Panels for the MPC 2500.

My friend dropped them off last week and I've only just has a chance to look at them as I've been on a well deserved holiday.

Now I say draft one as there are still some things to iron/cut out on them.

Here are some pictures.

So, there are a number of things that haven't worked out here. But please bear in mind that these were never going to be a finished set of panels.

Mainly, he has cut them like the actual shape of the original panels. I did ask him to make the cut so they covered the whole side of the 2500.

It's no real biggie as this can be done on the next lot and they don't look to bad.

Another thing is the lip at the front. They just don't reach far enough to cover the front.

And finally, the front lip angle is a little off but a good bit of elbow grease and sand paper should sort that out.

I think the trickiest part is the finer details as the originals have a tiny lip around the top and front of the originals to make them sit flush on the 2500.

What I'm aiming to reach is what I said originally. Something as close to TokinTones design. So a panel which covers the whole side of the 2500. Maybe with a varnished finish and maybe a mil or 2 thicker.

Again, If these work out, I'll see if he or somebody with more free time can cut a bunch of them to sell on through eBay or something.