The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By motosega Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:06 pm
since we will never have access to the akai sourcecode for the mpc 500, i was thinking about some other way of hacking it.

looking at the mpc500 service manual, there are two interesting connectors on the circuit diagram.

first there is the big 50 pin connector in the battery compartment, which is labeled E4M (my guess is that this is for an in circuit emulator) and also the debug port.

looking over the dev tools for the sh7727 i see that there is an onchip debugger.
which seems to be fuly documented. the debugger supports reading out the internal memory, looking at the conents of memory adresses, and writing to memory.

the concept is fairly simple, remember the old days on 8 bit computers like the c64 you could cheat by interupting the prgram with "break" then find the memory location where your lives were stored, then use "poke" to change the number of lives. also think the actionreplay cart for things like playstations.

well..... my thinking is that it is completely possible to construct a device that can connect to the debug port, and change the contents of memory locations in the mpc500.

this may not sound like much but, but i'm thinking that it could be used to add a real mixer to the 500, after all, each pad in a program has a volume, and an eq. the fx sends are doable too.

it should be entirely possible to do all this on a small pcb that fits in the back of the mpc. connects to the midi ports and debug port and lets you controll the mixer via midi. once the hard work is done, we're talking a diyable board that would cost about 40€ to make

getting hold of sh7727 debug tools probably isn't going to be cheap or easy.

building an arduino based debug tool is probably at the limit my technical ability if i study the manuals for a long time...

and the real stcking point is that the debug mode probably halts the mpcs operating system while it is running. so realtime changes while the mpc is playing might not be possible without the audio skipping. but it'd still be really worthwhile.

if i make any real progress on this i'll have some results this winter. but i think it would be a much simpler task for somebody with real embeded systems experience, me, i just dabble in stuff like this, i have built various midi and dmx devices with arduinos, but i'm no expert.

i'm posting this here, not as a promise that i'll ever get this done, and not specificly looking for help. but to give a heads up to future googlers that there is indeed a realistic way to add features to the mpc500, and if somebody with the apropriate skills gets around to this before i do, i'll be first in line to buy a pcb.

ewan.
By motosega Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote: it sounds really promising. :worthy:

Until you find out once again Akai put a connector on something for future implementation so it doesn't do anything. :nod:

although it would be great to find out that the mystery e4m connector on the mpc500 was fully funtional and supported in firmware, i really don't think that akai would have been completely silent on its existence. it does look like it would be the perfect place to add any number of cool expansion boards but without os support, things like individual outs synth expanders and fx expansions would be impossible.

i'm not looking at the e4m connector so much as the debug connector the functionality of the debug connector dosent depend on akai.

the cpu in the mpc500 is made by hitachi (now called renesas),
according to my research, all the sh3 processors have two debug connections,
one called h-udi and one called aus. these dubug connections serve two purposes. debugging during software development, and testing during production. aus seems to be properly documented, h-udi less so.

there are dev tools made by renesas and other companies that are able to connect to a running system and read out and change memory without pausing the system. but they cost a ton of monney. the simplest way to hack the mpc500 like this would be to buy one of these systems, reccord the messages that it send to the sh7727 and build a simple arduino clone with only the desired funtionality. luckily there are others who have done similar things already....so i can hopefully repurpose the work they have already done.

ive seen that in the car hacking world, people are using the debug connection to read out the firmware from the ecu (engine control unit, the computer that controlls the valve timing etc), with similar sh3 based cpus and using an arduino to talk to them.

again, no promises. but the more i research this the more it looks doable.
By catfingers Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:16 am
hey this looks great - but I wonder if the quickest mod someone could add would be passthru from sampling inputs to main out - like on the 1k (jjos - not sure if Akai os does this). I guess you'd just need to tap into the preamps & link to the output.

Save on carrying a mixer around.