The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By dripper91 Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm
So the left bar button on my 2500 decided to stop working a few weeks ago...frustrating because i use it a lot when chopping. i bought a new tact switch and had it soldered on at a computer repair shop, and....still doesn't work. :WTF: i feel like i just wasted a lot of money and im desperate to figure out whats going on, did they mess up the soldering job or did i do something wrong? any insight appreciated
By THE ADVERSARY Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 pm
dripper91 wrote:So the left bar button on my 2500 decided to stop working a few weeks ago...frustrating because i use it a lot when chopping. i bought a new tact switch and had it soldered on at a computer repair shop, and....still doesn't work. :WTF: i feel like i just wasted a lot of money and im desperate to figure out whats going on, did they mess up the soldering job or did i do something wrong? any insight appreciated

So the repair shop didn't verify that it was bad before replacing it then didn't verify it was working after replacing it?
:hmmm:
By dripper91 Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
dripper91 wrote:So the left bar button on my 2500 decided to stop working a few weeks ago...frustrating because i use it a lot when chopping. i bought a new tact switch and had it soldered on at a computer repair shop, and....still doesn't work. :WTF: i feel like i just wasted a lot of money and im desperate to figure out whats going on, did they mess up the soldering job or did i do something wrong? any insight appreciated

So the repair shop didn't verify that it was bad before replacing it then didn't verify it was working after replacing it?
:hmmm:

well it takes a little knowledge of the mpc os to know if the bar button is working or not so i just took it home to verify myself
By THE ADVERSARY Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:18 pm
dripper91 wrote:
well it takes a little knowledge of the mpc os to know if the bar button is working or not so i just took it home to verify myself

Or a very minimal understanding of electronics and you said it was a repair shop.

If they weren't competent enough to know how to check a verify the functionality then there's a high probability that they could have done a botched replacement as well.
By dripper91 Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 pm
well i dont know if they would have been able to check, probably, but i didnt even bring in a power cord also i just wanted to check myself. i guess they must have messed up the repair, i mean the replacement tact switch i bought was brand new, i dont know what else could have gone wrong.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:51 pm
dripper91 wrote:well i dont know if they would have been able to check, probably, but i didnt even bring in a power cord

It is a computer repair shop, they have power cords. :lol: :Sigh:
By dripper91 Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:16 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
dripper91 wrote:well i dont know if they would have been able to check, probably, but i didnt even bring in a power cord

It is a computer repair shop, they have power cords. :lol: :Sigh:

ok so whats your f*ckin point? did you come here to offer some help or just be a condescending little sh*t?
By dripper91 Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:20 am
i also said i just wanted to check it myself. doesn't really say much for this website when one of the senior members goes around treating people like they're idiots.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 am
dripper91 wrote:ok so whats your f*ckin point? did you come here to offer some help or just be a condescending little sh*t?

Laughing at a computer repair store not having a power cord. No/yes. :lol:

Take it back, or somewhere else, or open it up and check it yourself, press directly on the switch to see if it works. If it doesn't work, check for continuity through the switch, and to the adjoining parts of the circuit on the PCB, when you press it. :lol:

dripper91 wrote:i also said i just wanted to check it myself. doesn't really say much for this website when one of the senior members goes around treating people like they're idiots.

Well open it up, and check it, no one here is going to do it for you. :Sigh:

It is a switch, check it, and it's connection to the next part of the circuit.

But don't electrocute yourself, if you are poking around inside live gear without knowing what you are doing/touching.

And there are smartarses everywhere, especially those who post so much shit on an internet forum, I think maybe you need to deal with it when you say dumb shit.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:33 am
dripper91 wrote:doesn't really say much for this website when one of the senior members goes around treating people like they're idiots.

The WHOLE website?! ..and everyone else on it?!
By THE ADVERSARY Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:39 am
dripper91 wrote:i also said i just wanted to check it myself.

We are talking about two different aspects.
You are referring to checking the MPC to see if the button was carrying out the proper function.
I am referring to simply checking the circuit to see if it was functioning properly.

Not hard to do with a minimal understanding of electronics let alone someone claiming to do repair.

The buttons work in a matrix so if that is still the only button not functioning and they did actually replace the button they may have damaged the traces causing a disconnect for the switch.
By motosega Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:19 pm
i wouldn't take an mpc to a regular computer shop, they aren't normaly that good at soldering. computer maintenance is usualy just unpluging broken things and plugging the replacement in.

there are synth/audio repair shops in most cities. they cost more but your gear comes back working. they will fix gear that has been messed up by idiots too.

i'm a dyed in the wool diy fixer, but when i find a problem i can't resolve, or its a complex bit of kit without a service manual available online, i take it to my local audio repair guy, he charges 30€ just to look at a bit of kit. but after that he just charges for parts unless it's something that will take a long time.

cut your losses and take it to a profesional. if you weren't up to the task of changing a tact swich yourself you shouldn't be poking around an mpc with a tester.
By Genesis92 Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:36 pm
from the MPC2500 service manual the tact switches are the same as the MPC4000 (SKHHAM004) so it's easy to replace by a new one.
you only need to have a soldering iron, solder wick the tact switch and some mechanical skill to disassemble the MPC but it's explained in the service manual.
I've done the same thing on my MPC4000 and I have some pictures if it can help.

I've bought these replacement parts:
http://fr.farnell.com/alps/skhhama010/c ... tt=1656424

SKHHAMA010 from ALPS 0.2$ each

It's available from mouser too
http://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/ALPS ... 4Jyg%3D%3D

on the picture you have an old one (left) compared to a new one (right).
They fit perfectly