The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By gripz Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 am
Hey kids, I've read p much every thread about the issue I have been able to find butttt

I got an old 1k a couple weeks back with bunch a problematic switches etc(got a big ol bag of em on the way) but pretty sure the data encoder is gone.. It's the old plastic one, which for the life of me I can not find a matching part for.. I understand they moved to the metal encoder, so I'm considering ponying up the 10bux for that on eBay if this deoxit I picked up today doesn't help it.

Anyways before I do that, is the work required to switch out for the metal encoder risky for a newb to the whole electronics repair game? I've done some practice soldering on old chips but replacing my switches will be my first time working on a circuitboard. Would installing the metal encoder be significantly more challenging?

Significant enough to justify dropping $120 on the new board that comes with the metal encoder? still gotta buy the pad upgrade for this shit too before its fully good to go (Thx Akai) so I'd really rather not drop the cash for both of those unless I **** that shit up tryin to solder.

Hope I'm not contributing to y'all's disdain for posts like this but I'm not super clear what the upgrade would entail exactly.
By scoobylol Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 am
Don't worry mate you're not the only one to have encountered this. My 1000 which I bought brand new many years ago has needed plenty of tact switches changing, and my old plastic encoder has also died the death.

If you've had practice soldering on other bits then give it a go, but be careful of dry joints.

In terms of difficulty if you can replace a tact switch, the jog wheel encoder will be easy. Removing the old bits can be a bit of a pain, but as long as you're not holding the iron on the old joints long enough to melt the circuit board you'll be fine.

Worst case scenario you stump up the money for a significantly improved circuit board and enjoy your 1000 for another million years. :mrgreen:
By TYPO Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:39 pm
I will always tell people of the JJOS button feature.You do not need to replace the encoder.Midi it.
By gripz Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 am
TYPO wrote:I will always tell people of the JJOS button feature.You do not need to replace the encoder.Midi it.

Yeah I considered doing this, but I can't boot into os2x or whatever at the moment because the tap tempo sensor is **** right now lol.

I got a line on a 2500 working perfectly for 750 tho now... So I might just pick up that bad boy and replace the entire right side board on the 1000 at a later date.

Should I do it??